Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

New Unit, First Observations (mild frustration)

Just used our new 2019 CC Hathaway 36ck2. Very nice unit. However, like we said when we bought our new Hitchhiker, does anyone at the factory ever really USE one of these? We noted:
1. The outdoor water compartment, it has a light. Makes sense if you setup at night.
BUT, right next to it is the basement where the AUTOLEVEL switch is. That is DARK in there. You cant see this important switch because it is dark in there. Why not install another $5 light near the AUTOLEVEL switch?
2. The LARGE door for the basement (drivers side) that is open to access the AUTOLEVEL switch and water compartment has no locking apparatus. It was somewhat windy setting up and we constantly battled this large door banging into our backs or sides. How about a device similar to the device used to hold open the main entry door? That would work.
3. SWITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!
In 3 days we opened that double door closet doors countless times to simply turn on or off multiple lights. Ridiculous. Three ceiling light switches, hallway light switch, island light switch, porch entry switch, all inside a DARK closet area. We needed a flashlight every time we opened these doors to see what switches were for what. You need an LED light just to illuminate all the light switches. You have dark switches, in a dark area with NO light at all. You need a flashlight to find the ceiling light switch so you can somewhat see all the other light switches.

Below all these 10+ switches are 2 coat hooks. Again, a simple closet door light switch with a simple LED light would let us see what jacket or coat we are looking for. Again we needed a flashlight.
4. The kitchen island, or any kitchen wall should have the light switches for the island floor light, pendant lights above island, living room ceiling lights.
5. The bedroom door, it has glass. Why? It leaves bright morning sunlight into the bedroom if you are located in a particular way. Install a solid door.
6. There are 2 120 volt receptacles at each end of the sofa. The sofa fits in so tight to the wall that you cant use the receptacles. Relocate the receptacles where you can actually use the receptacles.

I am not complaining, unit is nice and would buy again. I am hoping that someone at CC reads this and incorporates these commons sense observations. It would lead to a better unit that would be user friendly.
acvp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #2

I have a 2018 36CK2 and I feel your pain.

1. I have installed lights in both sides of the basement. There are plenty of 12 volt wires that are available close by.
2. I am still fighting that big door, but it is going to get a magnetic latch or shock of some kind.
3. I installed a closet door switch and some LED strip lights under the shelf at the top of the switch panel. Again, there are plenty of 12 power sources behind the switch panel.
4. We are still living with the island light switches in the closet panel. That one will be harder to rectify.
5. The 2018 does not have a glass door on the bedroom. Ours is solid. The glass must be new on the 2019.
6. Yes those outlets are useless.

Other modifications I have made are:
1. USB charging ports on the front kitchen counter.
2. Move the power cord reel in the basement from the floor to the ceiling for better space management.
3. Had to cut a larger ventilation hole in the drawer behind the fireplace to keep the fire place heater from tripping out.
4. Added directional reading lights above the bed instead of the ceiling LED's that were there.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

New Unit, First Observations (mild frustration)

I also have a 2018 CK2 Hathaway I chuckled when I first read your post I was just talking about this last week at work with coworker on the exact same issues another issue to add to the list is the Spicket location for the washing machine and the outlet to plug both washer & dryer in, they should have located them to the front of the closet.
Our bedroom door has glass.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5401.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	187912  
Polesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

Unfortunately you probably have not even touched the tip of your future problems yet.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Unfortunately you probably have not even touched the tip of your future problems yet.

What kind of problems
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Ditto, what problems?

Ditto, what problems?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
What kind of problems
Jimmy, how about ALL of the problems that Amish Family repaired for you?

acvp1. Welcome to the world of RVing. My 2011 36CKTS has almost all of the same deficiencies you list. 8years later, NO ONE is listening!
More switches/lights in the proper locations mean more wiring, costs more money, takes longer to build, requires training and the list goes on! Why change when they sell all they build?
You are correct, surely NO ONE involved in designing RV’s uses one of them.
I am not complaining either, just stating the facts. But.......I am not turning loose of mine, it’s problems are all fixed. Like you I would most likely buy another Cedar Creek if I ever decide I need something newer.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

I moved the switches outside, minor issue.
My door has a lock.
I put coat hooks on outside wall.
I hung a vinyl shoe rack on the door. Solved two problems.

I've had some serious, serious problems. All are fixed. IMHO not a single one of your issues is really a problem. Just change things if you want. Did you not see any of those before you bought it???????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

Guess what all the things that Amish Family RV fixed for me was under warranty, well two years out of warranty. Some things they fixed were add on, the slide pans. Honestly now Cedar Creek has been very good to me, say what you want but the fact is Cedar Creek has been good to us. After our trip to Alaska next year I may want to trade, two trips to Alaska. My curtains did all fall but they won’t fall many more times as I’m increasing the number of brackets at each window. If I trade I’ll first look at Cedar Creek, we really want a rear cap so we will see, you never know they might bring the rear caps back in 2020
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I moved the switches outside, minor issue.
My door has a lock.
I put coat hooks on outside wall.
I hung a vinyl shoe rack on the door. Solved two problems.

I've had some serious, serious problems. All are fixed. IMHO not a single one of your issues is really a problem. Just change things if you want. Did you not see any of those before you bought it???????

Thank you. I never stated they were problems. I know what problems are, these are inconveniences that are truly unnecessary. I am not alone as others have agreed with me. Regarding didn't I see these issues prior to purchasing, no, I did not as others had not also. I am sure shopping other manufacturers, they would present their own set of odd inconvenient issues. I remember in the old days the designers layed them out where you could not access bathrooms or refrigerators with the slides closed. Somehow they realized those are inconveniences and changed the designs allowing access to bathrooms and refrigerators while traveling.
This is why I asked don't the designers USE the units they build. You only find these issues when you USE the unit, not when they are on a CAD computer. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions
Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #11

I assume you answered most of your concerns by asking if the designers ever used one of these units? I sincerely doubt most have ever camped. School? Yes. Camped? Prolly not.

Our cheap RV has some of the same lighting issues you post. The overheads are great to see with....kinda like the over bed led "brighter than the sun" lights. The main problem on ours is all or none on the overheads. I have separate lights over each recliner, separate lights(on switch) over couch and a separate light over the dinette. I guess just not enough panel switches and too many task light switches. Maybe I'm just a complainer.

Camp on!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #12

I solved the dark closet area for the switches by putting a battery operated motion detector light on inside of the closet door. Open the door and the light goes on and I can see all of the switches.
I have the same complaints on your other points. Still love the camper.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I am hoping that someone at CC reads this and incorporates these commons sense observations.
grumpyoldman beat me to the motion detector light suggestion. They are cheap. As I've been reading many times on this forum, since Forest River has nothing to do with the forum, they will not see your suggestions. Recommend firing them off in a letter to their engineering and design department.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #14

The Amish guy that works on my trailer, who was at the factory for about 18 years, DOES camp in them. He owns two, his father owns one. He understands about every nuance of them. Others own them too. Many Amish bus to Florida for the winter and stay in campers there.

And I was not trying to be snide........I missed some things when I looked at new ones too. But some of that is pretty minor, and easily fixable, yet you made it sound like (IMHO) it was a major flaw of this brand, and unacceptable. They made decisions of where things go, and sometimes I don't understand. Same with the stick/bricks houses I see. I'd change this or that in all of them. But the location of coat hooks or lights is nowhere near the same as major flaws.

CC management has told me that they do not now, nor will they ever, read this forum. Their reasoning is that every suggestion would be offset by an opposite one, which is pretty much true. Yet I agree it would be helpful if they did.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #15

Not really....ever watch these things being thrown together on the line? Best info you can get and use is where stuff is located and how to get to them for repair.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #16

I have a 2018 38EL and have virtually none of the inconveniences the OP has referenced. My auto level is on the outside before the door (although the door won't stay open, but it has never been a problem), the closets have outside light switches, the receptacles on the side of the couch are above the arms, the bedroom door is all wood. I actually think someone may have done some RVing before designing it. I like the switches in the cabinet because I can adjust my lighting from one location. All in all I have been very satisfied with my CC and it is my 13th RV of various types and manufactures.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote