Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

Newbie. Cedar Creek 34RLSA, flooded storage area

Hello to you smart experienced RV friends!

Yesterday I noticed that there was water in my storage area below, so I took everything out to locate the lead.

YIKES!!! I realized that I had not been emptying the galley tank! Yes I'd emptied the black and shower, but had not EVER emptied the galley. Just a few days ago I noticed my galley sink was draining slowly. This has led me to believe that the water down in storage was from the galley tank overflowing. (The water was not "dirty".)

However, all my tanks are supposed to be "closed" systems and are supposed to back up. It was beginning to back up but then it overflowed - so I'm confused about that.

The #1 MOST IMPORTANT question I have is: what the construction materials under the linoleum flooring... is there wood, or particle board or masonite that would have absorbed water? This would create a future collapse hazard and mold and I need to deal with that immediately.

THANK YOU in advance for your knowledgeable answers!
AG_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

Plywood
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Hi Keith, so do you suggest I rip it out? I'm guessing it has been wet for at least 6 months, and assume you are positive it's plywood! Thanks again
Old 11-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

Before you completely assume a tank has overflowed and reading your statement that "the water is not dirty" ... I'm going to ask ... "have you recently used your black tank flush?" If the anti siphoning valve in the flush line sticks open and you flush your black tank ... city or campground water will flow down into your storage compartment.

My Silverback storage flooring is particle board.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

DieselGuy

YES - first time ever - I flushed my black tank about a month ago which is when I noticed flooding down below in storage.

Can you possibly tell me where the flush line is so I can check the anti-siphoning valve? Thanks, you rock!
Old 12-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #6

Sometimes they are under the sink in bathroom and others it's behind the shower front. Here's a recent thread about this very issue. Some call it a vacuum breaker ... others anti siphon. They are usually a black plastic looking thing with 2 water lines and a round head or cap. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-220777.html

https://www.recpro.com/rv-vacuum-bre...CABEgKHYvD_BwE
Old 12-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #7

You rock DieselGuy

Thanks for the links, I will look into this as if it's a failed vacuum breaker check valve.

OH, please, while I have you here.... are my tanks sealed? i.e. if any were filled beyond capacity, are they meant to back up rather than overflow?

Knowing that would greatly help this newbie to understand her RV. Thanks again
Old 12-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

Usually your tanks will back up and your sinks or shower will not drain and black would back up in the toilet.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

Like said ... tanks are a closed box with some fashion of a vent pipe out the top, an inlet pipe in, and a drain pipe out the bottom in simplest of terms. If your main grey tank is full, usually your shower will back up, if your galley tank is full, your kitchen sink will back up, if your black tank is full ... well, you'll be staring at what you're trying to get rid of.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

same problem I had with my new 2020 CC. Syphon was under the bathroom sink. i replaced it with a metal one I found online.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, newbie, storage