Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #1

No grease E-Z lubes shackles

Was wondering if someone could let me know why I cannot get any grease in the Last shackle. I just went around and greased all my shackles but 1 it will not let any grease in, I took the grease zerk out and no obstruction also no obstruction in the wet bolt I ran a piece of 14 gauge wire in the bolt it went in no problem. Is it possible the shackles are over tightened and cant let any grease out? I am at a loss here. I do have the Dexter E-Z flex equalization system with the E-Z lube heavy duty axles with bronze bushings in the shackles. Thanks for any help!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_161621.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	238434
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

I had that same problem once when adding grease to my ez-flex shackle. Just one of them. I figured the shackle bolt,was,probably,jammed tight against the bushing so I raised the trailer up on that side with my level up system to take some weight/pressure off the shackle bolt and it allowed me to grease it. Good luck..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

dalford,
Thanks for the info I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

A lot of times it's best to grease items like this while unloaded. This allows grease to flow to all the bearing surfaces more easily. In this case I'm guessing that the load was carried in the same place as the outlet of the grease passages. Even if it wasn't and grease flowed grease would only flow to spaces not pinched off by load. Since these pins aren't rotating like a journal or roller bearing grease tends to stay where it is and doesn't re-distribute itself as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A lot of times it's best to grease items like this while unloaded. This allows grease to flow to all the bearing surfaces more easily. In this case I'm guessing that the load was carried in the same place as the outlet of the grease passages. Even if it wasn't and grease flowed grease would only flow to spaces not pinched off by load. Since these pins aren't rotating like a journal or roller bearing grease tends to stay where it is and doesn't re-distribute itself as well.
That makes sense I will grease it that way. Thank you
Old 09-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

The bolts are required to be installed with the grease hole facing 9:00 or 3:00. if the bolts were installed with the hole facing up or down, you will have trouble getting grease in.

This is for the Morryde system but will be similar to yours.
See Note on step 5
https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #7

Well it turns out no pun intended the bolt was not turned in the correct clock position I clocked it correctly torqued the nut to 50 foot lbs grabbed the grease gun and woolaa the shackle now has grease!!!. I want to say thank you to everyone the knowledge on this forum is unbelievable. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I had that same problem once when adding grease to my ez-flex shackle. Just one of them. I figured the shackle bolt,was,probably,jammed tight against the bushing so I raised the trailer up on that side with my level up system to take some weight/pressure off the shackle bolt and it allowed me to grease it. Good luck..
Those bolts are supposed to be installed with the grease hole in the bolt shank to be facing for or aft. If it is facing down the pressure of the bushing on the bolt will prevent the easy flow of grease.

Loosen the nut, rotate the bolt 90 degrees and tighten the nut again. I bet your problems will be over. well...........this problem at least
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #9

A bit of advice here ... don't simply loosen the nut and CRANK the bolt to the proper position. Leave the nut on the last few threads and tap the bolt out of the mount enough to clear the serrations under the head, rotate the bolt, then re-seat the bolt in the mount. The serrations are on the bolts for a reason.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Those bolts are supposed to be installed with the grease hole in the bolt shank to be facing for or aft. If it is facing down the pressure of the bushing on the bolt will prevent the easy flow of grease.

Loosen the nut, rotate the bolt 90 degrees and tighten the nut again. I bet your problems will be over. well...........this problem at least
Yea, I learned that from babockís post. I just had my ez-flex suspension replaced. I wonder if the mechanic set the wet bolts correctly? I will have to ask him. Now on to my next problem..lol..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
A bit of advice here ... don't simply loosen the nut and CRANK the bolt to the proper position. Leave the nut on the last few threads and tap the bolt out of the mount enough to clear the serrations under the head, rotate the bolt, then re-seat the bolt in the mount. The serrations are on the bolts for a reason.
Yes that is what I did you had to loosen the nut then tap the bolt out enough to turn it in the right position. Thank for the info.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Question, if I only tap the bolt out about 1/4 inch how do I know where the hole in the wet bolt is located if I can’t see it?

Seems to me I would have to tap the wet bolt out far enough to see the grease holes?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #13

I was greasing mine today and had the same issue. I also found one of my zerks is missing. Does anyone know what thread it is?
Old 09-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Question, if I only tap the bolt out about 1/4 inch how do I know where the hole in the wet bolt is located if I canít see it?

Seems to me I would have to tap the wet bolt out far enough to see the grease holes?
When I tapped mine out a 1/4 inch I noticed my bolt had same letters on 1 spot so I just looked at how my other bolts were with the letters, mine were positioned at 6:00 and 12:00 so I turned it to the same clock position and it worked for me. Maybe that might work for you.