Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #41
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Bad advice to add a tube to a tubeless tire. Tire will run hotter and if it fails you will have a REAL blow-out.

To the OP, is the wheel steel or cast aluminum. If cast, is there a visible crack or is it more a matter of a porous place on the aluminum.
It is an aluminum wheel, and according to the the Goodyear dealer it was a pinhole leak.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
It is an aluminum wheel, and according to the the Goodyear dealer it was a pinhole leak.
If it were my wheel and I could clearly see the "pinhole" in the inside of of the wheel I'd fix with J-B Weld.

Pinholes are common in all cast items and rarely do they affect structural integrity unless large and great in number. While not problematic in most items, wheels are intended to hold air so they do become a problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #43

Tire issue

I’ve found going to a reputable tire dealer is your best bet .
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #44

The issue is the manufacture of the rv. Doesn't want to undercut the precious dealer and honestly doesn't want to waste time and money helping, especially if giving you info cuts the dealer out, and them.

The dealers at least in my area are about as useful as tits on a boar. It's always wait for weeks, excuses of why they can't fix or warranty something, and when they do fix it's half way done, spotty at best and then they break stuff along the way and the bill ends up stupid.
Friend purchased a new trailer but a limit switch for the aft bed was broken after 2 weeks waiting for it to be fixed he said I need my trailer and picked it up another 3 weeks later after multiple calls and back and forth with the dealer he looked up the part online called the manufacturer told them the deal he had new part in 3 days.

OP how old is your trailer? Could the rim have a warranty?
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #45

All MFG’s unless you spend stupid money are basically abandoning customers and dealers don’t care either.

We left to go to SOB after being with FR brands for years and it is no different u less you spend $300K or more and even then how much can you get after they make their sale.

So sad the consumer is getting the shaft and if it were not for the consumer none of them would be in business.

Best of luck with your issues
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #46

RV Dealers ,Repair and state of RV industry

It’s almost buyer beware .The sales persons promises are hollow ,the warranty
you buy is like an insurance policy — they try everything not to pay for work etc
and you have to be a total butt to get them to ,and then the dealer service dept is weeks behind — and when supposedly fixed after weeks or months — it may not really be .Because there are so many vendors involved in the parts of a camper it gets even worse and heaven forbid you need help from an RV dealer you didn’t buy from . ( As a disclaimer this isn’t always true ) .

I’m not very mechanical but I’ve learned how to research and fix or find a reliable maintenance person ( I also research to understand if what they say
makes sense) . There is no magic cure —- one day perhaps we will have had enough and get lemon laws passed —-
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #47

If the wheel is the issue can you find a tube and have the tire mounted with the tube ? Not a permanent fix but should get you home.
Philip C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #48

I would purchase just the rim from etrailer and have it shipped ahead of where you are. Send it to your next destination that has a Discount Tire or Americas Tire. Take it to the tire shop and have the tire you want mounted on it.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...MaAvyOEALw_wcB
Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #49

Just a thought for next time, try Amazon. I just saw your post and checked on a 16” 8 lug rim. They had it. If you have Prime they’ll deliver next day. Sometimes same day depending on your location.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #50

Quote:
I am stranded in Tennessee because the wheel on my 36CKTS has a crack and will not hold air. ...

Called Cedar Creek and left message asking if they know where I can get a wheel, and what the specs were for the wheel for the 36CKTS. No response.

... I can no longer recommend Cedar Creek to my friends looking to buy an RV.
So true, Cedar Creek Customer service went down hill in 2010 and became completely worthless! So I also no longer recommend them!

It took 4 trips over 3 years to the Cedar Creek Indiana to get the frame structural problem on my CRF37RDTS fixed - not to mention, it sat at the service center more than I was able to use it. Discussions with several "higher ups" in Cedar Creek was of no help!

Back to the frame problem. I knew something was wrong but thought it was a loose trim because I was a newbie back then. At one time, Cedar Creek Warranty Service told me to use 3" lag screws to fix it; which I refused unless they provided me a letter accepting liability if I did the work. No surprise they refused the letter.

One day at the Lazy Days Service Center near Tampa, Florida, the Service Tech told me there was a broken weld in the upper deck and showed me the upper deck was rotating 1/4" when the pin box was raised as in hoked up to the truck. And there it was, you could see the trim move!

Cedar Creek insisted I get those measurements confirmed before accepting responsibility; however, not an easy task because my selling dealer in Ottawa Canada closed up and the new dealer would not service my rig because I didn't buy it locally from them!

Cedar Creek's dealer contract does NOT require new dealers to service "Orphans" (those buyers from the previous local dealer) like me so I had trouble finding a place to inspect my rig and I didn't want to risk traveling far because my insurance was now pulled due to it being unsafe. Finally, a kind competitor inspected my rig and filled out the form showing the same problem as Lazy Days.

After heated discussions with Cedar Creek, and Lippert's help (they made the frame and had to make the repairs), Cedar Creek relented and towed the unit to Indiana to make the repairs and returned it to me a few weeks later. At the same time, they fixed the remaining service issues and even gave me new tires.

What a fight to get the repairs done on a high end Cedar Creek Unit that I spent way over $100,000 in 2010. And because of Cedar Creek's lack of service, as an orphan, they left me without a local service center!

I was truly let down by that experience. No one should never have to go through that. There legendary service is just that; OLD - it NO LONGER APPLIES! It's now NON-SERVICE that they provide and I would NEVER buy there product or any Forest River product again!
ACDW-Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I would purchase just the rim from etrailer and have it shipped ahead of where you are. Send it to your next destination that has a Discount Tire or Americas Tire. Take it to the tire shop and have the tire you want mounted on it.
This is the most efficient and cost effective way. I second this!
ACDW-Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #52

If all else, take the wheel to a machine shop and get it welded. Many times, they can weld it so it does not crack more and is sealed.
When you get back home,or you find a tire store that does wheels too, I would replace all of the wheels with good ones that have a warranty. I also can't believe that a tire shop ONLY has tires and no wheels. WOW.
Toma1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #53

Quote:
I am stranded in Tennessee because the wheel on my 36CKTS has a crack and will not hold air. I contacted all the RV dealers in the area (5 of them) and none had wheels. Camping World said they could order one, but it would take a couple of weeks. Not practical.

Called Cedar Creek and left message asking if they know where I can get a wheel, and what the specs were for the wheel for the 36CKTS. No response. I then e-mailed Morgan Underwood in Customer relations who responded that Cedar Creek no longer supplies parts directly to customer, must contact my dealer. I told her I am in Tennessee and my dealer is in Maryland, plus my dealer, Chesaco RV, is worthless.

I told Ms. Underwood that all I needed was a place to buy a wheel, if they knew, or to ask someone in the Cedar Creek plant what wheel they are putting on my Cedar Creek so I can go to a wheel store and buy one.

No response.

The reason I bought a Cedar Creek was their renowned customer service. I can no longer recommend Cedar Creek to my friends looking to buy an RV.
Go to a local tire shop and then consider replacing all of your rims.
debbie_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #54

NOTE: OP found a rim and got it fixed back on the 18th of the month.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #55

I have learned the value of forums such as this one. In the past year Camping world, Priority Club and Good Sam really let me down. I recently met a couple who were considering starting an RV service. We talked a lot. They were quite knowledgeable about RV issues and how to deal with them. I told them that if a: they were able to accurately address the problems RV owner face and b: they can be even SLIGHTLY reliable, they'll get rich.

Good Sam offers services beyond help with RV problems, so when our current membership expires we will revert to only their most basic services. Roadside assistance? A joke.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
I would NEVER buy there product or any Forest River product again!

Then why are you here? If you are here just to trash FR then good luck with that. I happen to think that FR is one of the better major manufactures in the price range of mainstream RV buyers. Many buyers don't help themselves by ill equipping their TV and probably contribute to the 5er overhang damage they incur and then decide to trash the manufacturer for their negligence. How about you purchase your next RV from a Canadian manufacturer and let us know how that works out for you.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, service