Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
wls

On Demand Hot Water

I found out my new CC is coming with a On demand HW heater. You owners that have them, how are they I've heard pros/cons on them. Thanks
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Don't have the on demand water heater, but have spoken with two CC management persons. They both seem to think they are much more reliable than previous water heaters and their problems. I have read numerous posts from owners having problems with the Atwood water heater. CC is installing a Suburban water heater....just hope they are much better than the Atwood.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

I wish the factory website for Cedar Creek was more up to date. They don't even show a couple of the models they have building for awhile.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I wish the factory website for Cedar Creek was more up to date. They don't even show a couple of the models they have building for awhile.
Me too, we got the new Harvest interior trim code/level
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Do you know what type it is we have a girard it took some getting use to but up on talking to one of the service tech and getting some tips we have gotton use to it and they are soupossed to be coming out wirh a new model that they say will be all elecronic and work great they say you set the temp and that is what you get but we ha e gotten use to ours and like it you do not run out of hot water

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
Do you know what type it is we have a girard it took some getting use to but up on talking to one of the service tech and getting some tips we have gotton use to it and they are soupossed to be coming out wirh a new model that they say will be all elecronic and work great they say you set the temp and that is what you get but we ha e gotten use to ours and like it you do not run out of hot water
I was at the plant last week. CC is installing a Suburban on demand water heater as standard equipment. For the time being, a propane/electric can be ordered as a no charge option.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

From my understanding, the on demand hot water heater is gas only at the present time. And I think they are Girard brand.
wbonta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

The thing with on demand water heaters is they use a lot of energy all at once so I think the only models you will see in RVs are propane fired because an A/C version would take too much electricity from an already limited supply. It is nice to have unlimited hot water but it is also nice to be able to run your heater on campground power and keep from refilling you propane tanks. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons and determine how much hot water will you use at once. My camper has a 10 gallon Suburban gas/electric water heater and we haven't run out of hot water yet.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
wls

Not sure on brand, but she said dsi ignition
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #10

Girard Continuous Hot Water

Muddy X 2 ....exactly.
Ours is a 2011 and took a little getting used to but love it now. I've read up on the new Girards and also note that they have made a lot of improvements but we are fine with ours and we do a LOT of dry camping.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

I just did a search and found that most of the the tankless water heaters are around $200 or less. There seem to be a lot of brands. Are there any suggestions on what brands are good?

Thanks,
Larry
larrysteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Can't imagine you can buy a combination gas and electric tankless water heater for anywhere near $200.00
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

My suburban gas/electric water heater holds 10 gallons. 1- we never use the gas setting. 2- we never run out of hot water. At 50/50 hot and cold that's a long shower. On demand may save energy but doesn't solve a problem I have.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #14

We also have a 10 gallon gas/electric water heater and I don't plan to replace it unless it goes bad. just thinking about the possiblee future.
If we are in a hurry to get hot water we will turn on the gas and elctric 9until it gets hot then turn off the gas. That normally doesn't happen though.
larrysteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #15

Folks the models FR uses in the CC's and like models are suburban, and also Atwood and suburban are the same company, Atwood was bought out last year but still made in old plant.
The biggest issues with the new models is you should get the models with "freeze protect" so that there is no issues when you get caught in a cold spell.
Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #16

Have used mine now for 3 years learning curve at first but now wouldn't have it any other way
Clarici l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #17

Campground rates going up every year, I plan on using electric to heat my hot water. When I get ready to trade campers in about five years if a on demand hot water heater is the only kind Cedar Creek sells then I'll look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #18
wls

At the tour, they said probably alot of differant manufactures will be doing on-demand. Also, soon the CC will come solar prepped
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Old 12-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #19

I would like the solar prepped but I like a gas/electric hot water heater. We don't dry camp any now, DW is happy with full hookups. I am not going to pay for gas to heat hot water when I'm paying for electric at the campground and there is only two of us, I don't think we have ever ran out of hot water. What Cedar Creek is looking at is how cheap they are, Wildcat tried putting in the on demand hot water heaters. They had so many problems that they listed them as a option, then they quit them. I think some idiot at Cedar Creek came up with the idea to save money. The thing C/C needs to do is have them as a option but my guess is the gas/electric will be the option. Like the refrigerator gas/electric is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #20

The tankless sounds like a good idea if you have a high need for hot water. There are only 2 of us in the trailer and we are going to keep it that way, so I don't think it's for us.

We've only had our CC a few months and went from a 6g wh to a 12g and I'm in heaven. I like taking longer showers and even on elec only I don't run out of hot water.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water