Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I think all of us maintain our rigs, or we wouldn't be using them. And none of us has said they don't work correctly in the cold, they just don't function the same, as in they are slow and more apt to trigger pressure solenoids and electric breakers. Under 30 degrees my jacks/slides might take four attempts to bring in, where at 90 they come up/in the first time. I've been looking for a hydraulic fluid that works at 115 AND 20. So far aviation type looks promising.
Im not saying people are not maintaining their systems. I fully understand systems being slower and more sluggish in the cold, but as someone who has 25+ years maintaining and working on all aspects of mobile hydraulic systems. The two biggest problems we see on systems like this in the cold is contamination of the oil due to moisture and dirty or poor electrical connections. The aviation fluid would be a good choice but very expensive. If you want to look into another good alternative that some of my customers are using year around with very good results is a product called Artic Blue hydraulic fluid by United Oil.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
Im not saying people are not maintaining their systems. I fully understand systems being slower and more sluggish in the cold, but as someone who has 25+ years maintaining and working on all aspects of mobile hydraulic systems. The two biggest problems we see on systems like this in the cold is contamination of the oil due to moisture and dirty or poor electrical connections. The aviation fluid would be a good choice but very expensive. If you want to look into another good alternative that some of my customers are using year around with very good results is a product called Artic Blue hydraulic fluid by United Oil.
Thanks for the tip! I will look into that.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #23

I'm not trying to defame anyone, but when someone puts a statement out for all to read that is hard to digest ... I'll call them on it. Our hydraulic systems on our rigs are pretty basic compared to industrial applications of which I too have experience. Pumping tranny fluid at 18 degrees and at 80 degrees will be a bit slower and pull more amps at the pump. That's physics. I keep up with maintenance on my rig including battery connections. When we head south In December, there is a difference hooking to the truck that morning in Kansas and 8 hours later when unhooking in Lexington, TX where it's considerably warmer. Most all of us have experienced it except 2 or 3 responders so far on this thread. I'll give you a comparative test to try. Find a day that's 15 degrees out and do a cold start with your truck and immediately drop it into gear and head down the road. It will shift, but I guarantee not the same as a cold start on an 80 degree day. No worries ... this is my last response to this thread.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #24

We just got back from Angel Fire NM and legs and slides worked fine albeit seemed to be a bit slower due to the thickness of the fluid, but had no issues at 2 F.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #25

Thanks for all who replied to my question
Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #26

Arctic Blue extreme low temp hyd fluid, amazon, 2.5 gal, $58 bucks & FREE shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Duragard-Arct.../dp/B010VX26TI
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jacks, slide, slide out