Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #1

Orvan Fry - Amish Family RV service needs our help

To those of you that visit Amish Family RV service:
I spoke with Orvan a few minutes ago, and the news is that the county is looking into his business for variances (whatever that means). Orvan would like an email of support sent to Amish Family RV service business email address that he can forwarded to his lawyer.
Please drop a note of support, indicating how much you spend, including local establishments in Noble county, every trip you make to Orvan's for repair and upgrade work. You may wish to indicate if you would still be going to the county for repair work if it were not for Amish Family RV.

Their email address is: amishfamily@icloud.com

PS. This not a chain letter, it is for real.
Thanks
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
To those of you that visit Amish Family RV service:
I spoke with Orvan a few minutes ago, and the news is that the county is looking into his business for variances (whatever that means). Orvan would like an email of support sent to Amish Family RV service business email address that he can forwarded to his lawyer.
Please drop a note of support, indicating how much you spend, including local establishments in Noble county, every trip you make to Orvan's for repair and upgrade work. You may wish to indicate if you would still be going to the county for repair work if it were not for Amish Family RV.

Their email address is: amishfamily@icloud.com

PS. This not a chain letter, it is for real.
Thanks
When talking about "variances" that usually means one or more of the following:

The business has applied for a variance to allow use of his property in a manner not allowed by zoning.

The Owner is using the property in a non compliant manner, was discovered by County, and is now applying for a variance.

Neighboring property owners have complained to the County about a business and how they are using the property and County is now investigating to determine a: if a variance is needed; b: if they will grant a variance if needed and applied for.

It's not unusual for a business to operate on a piece of property for years only to have new zoning make the business a non-compliant use. They can usually continue until such time they want expand or remodel but then can't get permits for the new improvements without a variance being granted.

Might help if more was known so those who are customers, or want to become customers, know how to compose their letters

Not in my neighborhood but back during my career I was exposed to more than just a few instances where our locations had to deal with "variances". Usually those in charge of enforcing zoning ordinances will follow the law rather than public sentiment unless the affected party wants to spend a lot of money on court action.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #3

TitanMike, thank your for your insight.

RE:
Might help if more was known so those who are customers, or want to become customers, know how to compose their letters

I have no additional information.
My suggestion is that those that wish to drop a line to Orvan should contact him and find out how to comspose the email.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The business has applied for a variance to allow use of his property in a manner not allowed by zoning.

The Owner is using the property in a non compliant manner, was discovered by County, and is now applying for a variance.

Not in my neighborhood but back during my career I was exposed to more than just a few instances where our locations had to deal with "variances". Usually those in charge of enforcing zoning ordinances will follow the law rather than public sentiment unless the affected party wants to spend a lot of money on court action.
Where I live, "variances" are almost never granted because the test is that it has to outweigh the public good, which is never the case. It always boils down to a for profit entity wanting the variance. Lots of hearings and surrounding property owners get to state their case of objection. Seriously, what property owner in a residential zoned area wants a smoke shop, 7-11 or a used car lot across the street? Our Zoning Board & EDC always take the position that there are areas already zoned for this type of operation.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Where I live, "variances" are almost never granted because the test is that it has to outweigh the public good, which is never the case. It always boils down to a for profit entity wanting the variance. Lots of hearings and surrounding property owners get to state their case of objection. Seriously, what property owner in a residential zoned area wants a smoke shop, 7-11 or a used car lot across the street? Our Zoning Board & EDC always take the position that there are areas already zoned for this type of operation.
Here most issues come up when residential development moves out and around businesses that were once "out in the country". Back in the day there were lots of "one pump" gas stations, auto repair shops, welding/fab shops, etc along what were then main highways. Those highways became more residential in nature with housing popping up "next door".

Isn't so much the new gas station, smoke shop (here they're now Pot shops) or 7-11, but the existing businesses that need to remodel or expand. Their grandfathered status doesn't allow this.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #6

I agree that if we knew more about the issue it would be helpful.

A letter with a specific set of logical arguments is more likely to be effective than something as general as "economic impact".

I will do this, because I had great service there and I think this company is a fine asset to the RV community. But more information would help me write a better letter.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #7

I think any business that is trying to convince the powers-that-be against/for any variance by using customer reviews, has already lost the appeal.
I agree, this business seems to be an excellent service organization, but once the governing body has decided to change whatever it is they are changing, you don't have much of a chance.
But who knows!! As stated, we have no idea what the issues are.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #8

Members of the Cedar Creek RV Owners Club are aware of this and are coming to his rescue, if its possible.

The problem is that he was zoned to have only a single RV on his property, and anybody that has been there knows that there are probably 20 units there...at any given time. He also is employing 2 more folks than he has been allowed to.

Orvan has an attorney, but the emails stating how valuable his services are to the county and how well is efforts are to the cedar creek family is what they are looking for....as well as when in town all the other places one might do business with, which helps the county out.....or the motels one might use while waiting for the rig to be fixed/updated.

IMO, the county is trying to wreck a business which is in their best interest to keep....but then again, we're seeing that on a national level too.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #9

Economic Argument

Under certain circumstances an economic argument might make sense.

Case in point: the park where the Cherokee 38P lives is the biggest taxpayer in the county. There's never really been any serious issue with the county.

Supporters of Amish Family RV would have to know whether documenting their expenditures would be helpful.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
The problem is that he was zoned to have only a single RV on his property, and anybody that has been there knows that there are probably 20 units there...at any given time. He also is employing 2 more folks than he has been allowed to.
Well, therein lies the problem and as to why this has grabbed the attention of the county officials. Most likely the current zoning was a variance. Now that variance has been violated. I imagine the county will decide what is best for the county regardless of outside influences.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Well, therein lies the problem and as to why this has grabbed the attention of the county officials. Most likely the current zoning was a variance. Now that variance has been violated. I imagine the county will decide what is best for the county regardless of outside influences.
Yep. That is a fairly large violation. If he has been doing business in that location very long I would determine who I pissed off and work at it from that end. But since the violations are now on the radar, I'm thinking he needs a new business location.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #12

A new business location isn't gonna happen....it's next to his house, and he still farms.....it's a pretty nice facility, holding 3 rigs at a time and they can do anything they need to - even roof top replacements.

They are taking the approach as to the benefits the county receives from the business he brings in.

As I previously stated, the county would be losing business if they shut him down. Hopefully he has a good attorney.

There are ALOT of CC owners that have better rigs after taking them to Orvan. I've been there twice. He knows 'creeks better than the factory.....which he did work at for many years.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
A new business location isn't gonna happen....it's next to his house, and he still farms.....it's a pretty nice facility, holding 3 rigs at a time and they can do anything they need to - even roof top replacements.

They are taking the approach as to the benefits the county receives from the business he brings in.

As I previously stated, the county would be losing business if they shut him down. Hopefully he has a good attorney.

There are ALOT of CC owners that have better rigs after taking them to Orvan. I've been there twice. He knows 'creeks better than the factory.....which he did work at for many years.
All this is fine and dandy and from what I hear, Orvan is the best... but... laws/ordinances are for a reason and the quality of his work does not make him above the law.

Sure, it would be great if he could continue on and repair R/Vs and still farm but if that isn't allowed in his county/township (whatever) he WILL have to find another place or simply farm.

I'm not bashing... just stating what is likely going to happen unless his legal team can find a loophole.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
All this is fine and dandy and from what I hear, Orvan is the best... but... laws/ordinances are for a reason and the quality of his work does not make him above the law.

Sure, it would be great if he could continue on and repair R/Vs and still farm but if that isn't allowed in his county/township (whatever) he WILL have to find another place or simply farm.

I'm not bashing... just stating what is likely going to happen unless his legal team can find a loophole.
Same here. FWIW, if fhat County is anything like the County I live in, they didn't just decide to "investigate". Most likely scenario is that someone complained which triggered the attention.

Not familiar with his operation but I know some auto repair facilities that store their vehicles waiting for a "slot" or for parts before work can be done are stored off site. Usually because of limited space on their business location and perhaps because of zoning restrictions.

Maybe a new "Barn" or "Machine Storage Shed" that all the waiting RV's can be parked in and out of sight.

As for for having a couple too many employees, that smells like someone in the County Government has an agenda. Especially in this day and age when politicians never pass up the opportunity to brag about how many jobs THEY create. (Hah!)

I wish him lots of luck as all I've read about that business is not just good, but refreshing to read in this day and age.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #15

Hi,

I sent an email with a letter of support attached to Amish Family RV for use by his attorney. I figured it couldn't hurt and was a better use of my time than just discussing it on an internet forum. Our local government is more than happy to issue variances to developers even when the local residents are not in favor.

Tom
Old 06-30-2022, 07:48 AM   #16

Those who have been to his shop know that it is sketchy as it regards zoning.

Customers writing letters saying how competent he is has nothing to do with the arguments here. In fact I could say the opposite if I was the zoning officer where as he is running a potentially multi-million dollar operation out of a residentially owned shop which probably is the case.

So the letter gives the zoning officer proof!!!!!!

He should fire his lawyer for being an idiot!!!
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #17
Always Learning

Not to bring up old wounds, but curiosity gets the cat... whatever happened with this?
Old 11-15-2022, 10:28 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not to bring up old wounds, but curiosity gets the cat... whatever happened with this?
My understanding from the Facebook page is they were granted a variance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
My understanding from the Facebook page is they were granted a variance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Yes it was and as Orvan said to me in August the county just needed more money
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #20

Was just there and dropped allot of money, but what county is his business in?
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service