Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #41

Believe me, we'd like to go get it. However, we have a LOT going on family wise, doctor wise, health wise and there are not 2 days back to back until the 15th to go after it. We went this morning and looked at it but have other commitments today sk back home with a small punch list. I'm not going to rush the process. My results are never good when ido.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
Believe me, we'd like to go get it. However, we have a LOT going on family wise, doctor wise, health wise and there are not 2 days back to back until the 15th to go after it. We went this morning and looked at it but have other commitments today sk back home with a small punch list. I'm not going to rush the process. My results are never good when ido.
I gotta agree with this... Rushing the PDI is not a good idea... What's a few weeks in the overall scheme of things? I would wait like you.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #43

[QUOTE=tcrossan;2050601]PDI or pre delivery inspection is done, theoretically, before one takes delivery of the rv unit. My dealer told me today that we can come pick up our unit, a 34IK, do our inspection and then take the unit home, or on a trip. If we find items that need repair, "make a complete list" of the things that need attention and then make an appointment to bring the rv in and have the items repaired. The dealer rep also told me that they get backed up sometime out to 2 months so we couldn't leave it there and have it repaired before leaving the dealership with it.
Seems backwards to me but I don't buy one of these every year!
What say you?!!!

Tcrossan[/QUOTE

In case you haven't seen this before. This brochure describes Cedar Creek Building process and on page 14, it describes the in-house testing they do during mfg. Based on what I've seen at the factory, they do more than most.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...ack2basics.pdf

Obviously, as we all know, things can always go wrong and it's hard to predict what happens on the road from Topeka, IN to a dealer near you, which is why we all are so fussy about doing a comprehensive PDI our selves.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #44

Just remember the translation of warantee work.

When you need service the warantee department is swamped. 2-3 months to get an appointment to make an evaluation.

There they make a case to submit to the manufacturer for evaluation, in writing with pictures. The parts must be ordered in writing from the factory after their review and approval in writing.

Then when approved in writing you make another appointment to bring the rv back for repairs after parts are received.

In the meantime the rv is a lawn ornament perhaps.

Do a thorough PDI and be prepared to leave. You will be amazed how quickly repairs can be completed while the Check is in your pocket. Have three gallons of antifreeze in your car at the PDI. You will do the winterization in their lot if that’s what they want!

Be prepared to fix any minor item under $100 by yourself.

Buy from the cheapest place. Very few dealers do better than this. You can tell when a salesman is lying. His lips are moving.

The problem is the manufacturers not so much the dealers. Warantee work is a looser for the dealers. Quality control is not so good at many factories. They pay low and do not attract the best workforce. A real finish carpenter costs two or three times what they pay. Same with plumbers and electricians.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #45

I'm sending a NRVIA inspector in Ohio to do my PDI when my 34IK comes in about a month or so. The inspector will give the dealer and I the punch list. The dealer has two options, fix everything the inspector finds and show me when I get there that every item has been taken care of or sell the unit to somebody else. This will be my 11th RV, I have no problem walking away if they refuse.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #46

Daycuiser:
I called 3 NRVIA inspectors to inspect my new 34IK. Cheapest one was $695. A bit rich for a new 5th wheel inspection. I can do a good enough job and whatever I miss I can repair myself. Tried to get them to limit what they inspected to some degree but they will only perform the 550 pt inspection followed by a 80 page report folower by a 2hrs personal/phone review of the document and photos.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #47

Thanks SimchaSabre
I have seen that document and even have the video that is up on YouTube.
I am not really stressing over this. We saw the unit yesterday and other than a shattered oven door and a piece of mis-cut moulding we didn't see much. We didn't do the inspection yesterday. Just a casual look see as we were getting itchy to get it home and ready for our next trip. 15th will bee here very soon!!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
Daycuiser:
I called 3 NRVIA inspectors to inspect my new 34IK. Cheapest one was $695. A bit rich for a new 5th wheel inspection. I can do a good enough job and whatever I miss I can repair myself. Tried to get them to limit what they inspected to some degree but they will only perform the 550 pt inspection followed by a 80 page report folower by a 2hrs personal/phone review of the document and photos.

Well that's your choice, If I'm going to spend $78K another $700 is peanuts to me. Just driving up there will a couple hundred dollars in fuel, I'd rather not waste my time and money only to have to leave and come back again when it's fixed. I can do the PDI as well as any inspector but I choose to send somebody else that will be objective and closer than me. My time is worth something and if the dealer refuses I won't waste my time going up there. I can kill a deal from here just as easy as up there. Good Luck with yours.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #49
Stupid Lucky

Finding this thread very interesting! Our 34IK is on order with delivery anticipated in mid-May. We will be much more attentive to our PDI inspection because of some of the comments in this string. Recently sold our Prime Time Crusader which we purchased from Colton RV in Buffalo in 2013. Being our first fifth wheel we did not have the eye for detail that we have now and missed some items in our walkthrough. Took it to General RV in Akron, also a Prime Time dealer, and they told us some things were warranty and others were Colton's responsibility as the selling dealer. Called Colton and they agreed to pay for the items missed in the PDI and General RV coordinated the warranty items with Prime Time. In a matter of weeks all was fixed by General and Colton sent us a check for the things missed in the PDI. We treated both dealerships with courtesy and they stepped up for us. Sometimes I wonder if this helped.

On a side note Prime Time over the 6+ years we owned the Crusader was always responsive when I called them directly and more than once sent me no charge parts for repairs I could do myself. I am hopeful to establish a similar relationship with Cedar Creek. Touring their factory next week.
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #50
Erinn

I 100% agree with daycruiser - only wish we would have done that! I noticed a few small things at pick-up (after over a 2 hr walk-thru) & had them noted, so THOUGHT we were fine... Even then, it took FOREVER to get the stuff in + when I called FRiver to check, they hadn't even been ordered... Hire a professional - worth the money!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi, warranty