Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

PDI vs warranty work

PDI or pre delivery inspection is done, theoretically, before one takes delivery of the rv unit. My dealer told me today that we can come pick up our unit, a 34IK, do our inspection and then take the unit home, or on a trip. If we find items that need repair, "make a complete list" of the things that need attention and then make an appointment to bring the rv in and have the items repaired. The dealer rep also told me that they get backed up sometime out to 2 months so we couldn't leave it there and have it repaired before leaving the dealership with it.
Seems backwards to me but I don't buy one of these every year!
What say you?!!!

Tcrossan
tcrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Team

One point the dealer made is correct. They are backed up and your unit can sit for months awaiting repair when you bring it back. That is the only true statement. Do a thorough inspection when you go to pick it up. Make sure the dealer knows that you are not going to sign for it/take it if you find issues. Have them demo everything works as it should. The problem with take it and use it then make a list and bring it back is warranty work does not pay as well as standard repairs. You will go to the back of the line and could be months without you unit. If they have to repair it before they get their money they will put you at the top of the list. Once you sign you lose you leverage. They want their money . If you are not comfortable fixing it yourself don't sign anything until it is right.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

ummmm no. they don't get my money until i am happy with the camper and all things noticed at the PDI repaired. Once they have your money - you lose all leverage.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't sign on the dotted line until they fix everything that you find during the PDI.

And don't let them rush you through the PDI in 20 minutes.

If your PDI is shorter than three hours...it is not worth even doing!

These are tactics that ALL dealers use to get that signature and your check, then send you on your way so they can move several RV's out that day.

Make them run everything...all the plumbing...fridge...water heater...stove and oven...all electronics...generator (if equipped)...EVERYTHING!

And look for broken stuff like trim...door and cabinet latches...and don't forget everything outside and on the bottom of the RV as well!

Make them fix it all BEFORE YOU SIGN THE PAPERS!

Don't even let them hitch it up to your truck yet, because that is another one of their tactics to get you to forget about all the things you'll find during your PDI.

Ever have a car salesman tell you to take that brand new car home so you can see what it looks like parked in your driveway for all your neighbors to see?

Same thing...

Believe me...they will fix all of this stuff while you wait as long as you don't sign those papers.

And if they try to force the issue...walk away!

There are hundreds of thousands of brand new RV's out there just waiting to be sold by other dealers.

Then, don't make a long 5000 mile cross country two month vacation that starts the day you pick up your RV!

Do two or three local campouts first, because YOU WILL have issues that you will find wrong, but those can wait until the camping season is over to get fixed!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #5

I'm somewhat assuming that you have taken delivery using this very strategy, which I agree with. How long did you have to wait for your dealer to repair the things you wanted repaired and what were those items?
I can fix just about anything and have another Forest River dealer closer to home who has agreed to do any warranty work I may need. I even have good results from them on prior work.
Just want to make sure I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill while still not getting the "1/4-20 all thread" in the deal.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

One other word of advice...

Don't pick it up and do a PDI on Saturday!

Take the day off from work and do it on a weekday!

Saturday is the day everybody else wants to do their PDI's...so they really are busy!

And dealerships purposely short staff their service department on Saturdays to further their excuse to not get the things fixed that you find during the PDI.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #7

Our new 2020 CC 34IK came in on Monday. (Ordered as a 2019.5 in January, but VIN is 2020). The promised 'we'll call you when it gets here' call never came, but then, on one of my drive bys, I saw it had just arrived, so I stopped, went in and asked if that Cedar Creek out there was mine. Yes, it is! (FINALLY! Over a week late due to Mid West weather)

I asked to do a 'walk around' of it. Filthy dirty from the 2300 mile trip didn't stop me. I've seen dirtier Nothing missing; no visible damage; all exterior doors opened and closed; etc. but found one loose trim piece. They had the key handy so inside I went. Everything looked to be okay...slides were in but everything we'd ordered was installed.

Both of us went back today, did a more 'thorough & detailed' exterior walk around and, since the 'cleaner' was in side, the slides were open, the fridge was on, the a/c was on, etc. Found 3 small items that need repair and added them to the 'list' for service to get on on the service checks.

Went inside the dealership to sign the purchase order and have them fax that and the MSRP sheet to the credit union to get on the rest of what we owe them.

Our 3-4 hour, PDI walk-through isn't scheduled for 9 days from today. We'll get and hold on to the check for the balance owed until AFTER we turn on and inspect everything and WE are happy with it. They won't be rushing us through this process.

Our advice is to remember you've paid a lot of money for a beautiful new coach. It's exciting and you want to 'get it out camping', but do your due diligence and make absolutely sure that you do your best to check it out thoroughly before signing, giving final payment and driving it off.
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #8

I would not take delivery until I knew everything was in working order. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff but I would not take pay a penny until I looked at it very closely and knew ultimately I could live with any small problems for the entire summer or that I'd fix it myself.

Make sure all 120v works, 12v, gas, water, roof looks good. There are good pdi checklists on this site. You really need to know what you are buying before you buy it.

In second the advice to do this on a weekend.

Finally, I'd be leary of a dealer giving that advice.

Let us know what you choose to do.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #9

Our dealer tried that 'sign and we'll fix everything later'. When we said we'd sign only when things were fixed, technicians magically appeared and
everything was fixed in under 2 hours. Then we signed and drove it home.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
PDI or pre delivery inspection is done, theoretically, before one takes delivery of the rv unit. My dealer told me today that we can come pick up our unit, a 34IK, do our inspection and then take the unit home, or on a trip. If we find items that need repair, "make a complete list" of the things that need attention and then make an appointment to bring the rv in and have the items repaired. The dealer rep also told me that they get backed up sometime out to 2 months so we couldn't leave it there and have it repaired before leaving the dealership with it.
Seems backwards to me but I don't buy one of these every year!
What say you?!!!

Tcrossan

Everybody here is right, pay nothing, sign nothing until every PDI discovered issue is fixed. Don't get caught up in the emotion of wanting to take it home before it's fixed. Test every single thing on that RV, test every outlet with a tester looking to see if it works and wired correctly. I'm not doing my next PDI in a month or so, I've hired a Level II RV inspector to do it, he is completely objective and has only one goal find every little thing wrong and let them know about it. I'll go pay for it when the inspector tells me it's good to go. $400 bucks is nothing when you're spending $70K + on an RV.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #11

All of the above is priceless!

My Cedar Creek was virtually perfect. But, be prepared, these units take a beating on the highway. You gotta be handy!

Dealers hate warantee work, period. You need a good toolbox on board.

Generally, our Hathaway has above average stuff everywhere. Yours will too.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
(o˘◡˘o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Don't sign on the dotted line until they fix everything that you find during the PDI.

And don't let them rush you through the PDI in 20 minutes.

If your PDI is shorter than three hours...it is not worth even doing!
Our positive experience was that we had to drive 12 hours to pick our trailer up, so ahead of time the salesman agreed to have it set up with a full hookup at their lot and suggested we spend the night in it. When we arrived, we completed the PDI, made note of the minor discrepancies, and while we were gone to get a meal they were repaired. The salesman told us to let him know first thing the next morning if we discovered any other issues and they would resolve them before we left for home. We had found a minor trim issue which was easily resolved, then we hit the road.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #13

Thanks Daycruiser,
How do I find a Levvel II inspector? That sounds like what I need. My ability to climb around is limited by a bad back but I can fix most anything as long as I don't have to contort myself in some small crevasse or lift much. Big stuff-slides, roof, concealed plumbing HVAC etc., will need to be warranty or PDI work.
We live in Tampa Bay area so there must be a few around us.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
Thanks Daycruiser,
How do I find a Levvel II inspector? That sounds like what I need. My ability to climb around is limited by a bad back but I can fix most anything as long as I don't have to contort myself in some small crevasse or lift much. Big stuff-slides, roof, concealed plumbing HVAC etc., will need to be warranty or PDI work.
We live in Tampa Bay area so there must be a few around us.

Here ya go: https://nrvia.org/locate/
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #15

My walk through was very good at our dealer. We were probably there 3 hours. They had told me they found very few things and this weekend is really our commissioning camping. I’ll let you guys know if I find other things that need addressed. But right now I think FR and my dealer did a nice job.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

So anyway, I agree with if there are problems, they need to be fixed before you pay. But if they are doing their job, you won’t find a thing.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #17

I just went through this. The PDI of the water system was not done because it had been winterized. De-winterized a month later discovered a leak.
My trailer brakes still don't work..missed during the PDI.
Now my trailer sits at the shop. Have not used it for camping yet.
All my fault, never take delivery of a new RV unless everything works.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #18
Site Team

Most important thing to remember is this is business transaction for the dealer you need to insure it is a business transaction for you. In other words take any emotion and excitement out of the transaction. Once you are happy and bring it home. Pop some bubbly and get excited about you new adventure.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #19

We had zero PDI issues that weren't fixed before I signed off and handed the check over. Dealer had half a dozen guys available during that time. Only thing major was loose lug nuts -- they all will be if you don't check them personally-- which were promptly torqued.

Within a week or two the caps over the tank vents on the roof disappeared and one of the cabinets started coming detached from the ceiling. No need to return to the dealer for either as I could easily attach new vent caps myself and Forest River courteously and conveniently leaves dozens of proper length screws in several places in the trailer for fixing loose things. Used a couple of these and been good since. None of these would have showed up during a PDI so expect to make some (many) repairs yourself. Returning to the dealer during their peak service times will not get you camping.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
We had zero PDI issues that weren't fixed before I signed off and handed the check over. Dealer had half a dozen guys available during that time. Only thing major was loose lug nuts -- they all will be if you don't check them personally-- which were promptly torqued.

Within a week or two the caps over the tank vents on the roof disappeared and one of the cabinets started coming detached from the ceiling. No need to return to the dealer for either as I could easily attach new vent caps myself and Forest River courteously and conveniently leaves dozens of proper length screws in several places in the trailer for fixing loose things. Used a couple of these and been good since. None of these would have showed up during a PDI so expect to make some (many) repairs yourself. Returning to the dealer during their peak service times will not get you camping.

-- Chuck
Yep, I am handy, I look forward to getting up close and personal with the various systems on my unit. The only issues I am having now are no brakes. I can't pull it from the dealer without them.
No way in hell am I going back for little nickel and dime stuff before the one year warranty expiries.
My PDI lapse is my fault, I was late showing up and it was rushed in frigid weather.
If you do a PDI during the winter, INSIST on doing it in a heated shop. I didn't.
Not a good start to my 20 year hiatus from the RV scene.

Tags
pdi, warranty