Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #1

Pin Box

We have a2017 silverback 29Re the question is that my wife has back problems and with the terrible roads all of the bouncing is not good for her. So how much difference would one of the air ride pin boxes make either a Trail-Air or a Fifth Airborne? Thanks for your replies
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Always Learning

We had a Sabre that we ended up adding a Trail-Air pinbox to. I honestly didn't feel a lick of difference before and after it. We then later added shocks to the camper and again, didn't feel a lick of difference.

Fast forward 6 years and a camper change, through a variety of events, we sprung for a Trailer Saver TS3 hitch. It's a world of difference!

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/ts3-air-ride-hitch/

It's just not cheap. I have a bit over $3,000 into this hitch. Worth it for a wife who has back issues.

I'll also say, I had the B&W Companion hitch, the Andersen Ultimate pyramid thing, and the Trailer Saver in the same truck and with the same trailer. The ride was passable with the B&W Companion but absolutely sucked with the Andersen (literally had my wife in tears on back to back travel days). The Trailer Saver was the king of the best ride.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
We have a2017 silverback 29Re the question is that my wife has back problems and with the terrible roads all of the bouncing is not good for her. So how much difference would one of the air ride pin boxes make either a Trail-Air or a Fifth Airborne? Thanks for your replies

Don't use a pin box to solve the ride problems, very limited effectiveness. Use an energy absorbing hitch. There are two kinds, ones with Air Bags and one that uses Closed Cell Energy Absorbers. I have the latter, no air bags to keep filled or degrade and work as well or better than the air bag types. Cost about $2500.00 now from Roadmaster who bought out Comfort Ride Hitch.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

What type of axle suspension do you have on your RV? Do you have the EZ-Flex.. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 2016 33IK with the EZ-Flex suspension along with the Air Ride TrailAir pin box using an Andersen (triangle thing that Ependady hates) and I will be honest I do not feel my trailer as it hits pot holes or expansion joins. I was really paying attention to that on my last trip. I paid close attention to any hard bumps the truck felt and then tried to feel the RV transfer that same bump to my truck. I could not fell it or it was minimal.

Not much one can do to remove the truck jolt as that is the suspension. I guess adding a lot more weight to the bed with a heavy hitch would help.

It might be better to invest in an air ride seat for the DW... I’m sure they make them.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

I have a 2015 29RE. On my 2012 F250 I had airbags for the truck installed and added TrailAir for 5th wheel . Made a big difference. My 2020 F250 is stock, and TrialAir on the 29re and truck are a great combo for us. Both wifey and I have mild to moderate back problems, and we are happy with the setup.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Well have had two lower back surgeries so I feel your wife's pain. I have been RVing since 2001 on my 3rd Cedar Creek 2011 36 RE Touring Edition. Have a 2005 F350 super duty.

My 1st RV was a CC 36 foot 2001, started with a 2500 short bed dmax. 1st ride I could hardly hold onto the steering wheel ride was so rough. So I was having a Cedar Creek rally in Indiana fairgrounds and one vendor that came was Trailair, he told me their hitch would make a world of difference so I bought one probably 2002.

Did not help at all I never called Trailair but guess they saw my comments on the Cedar Creek RV Clubs web site back then and they called me.

He said he wanted me to bring my short bed truck back to Indiana and their engineer was going to test things they would pay my expenses but I had to come that week and I could not.

So they found someone else long story short when they made the new Trailair for shortbed trucks he brought a new one to PA took the old one off installed the new one and we went for a towing ride. WOW made a big difference what a company back then.

So fast forward to the 3rd truck and CC now have a 2011 36 foot Touring edition and 2005 F350 dally super duty. Still have a trailair pin box but also have the trailer saver hitch in my truck. Between the two nice ride but keep in mind when you hit those TERRIBLE stretches of road nothing will take all the rough ride away.

We have been all across the USA and Canada 3 times over all these years last big trip was 12,000 miles and my back is my back but I have survived all the trips and years. Could not have done so if it were not for the trail air and trailer saver.

I would start with the trailer saver hitch or something like it and see how that goes. If needed then I would also add the trailair pin box, between the two we have usually a pretty nice ride but you always hit those roads from hell and I pull over and also put my back brace on. Safe travels and hope things work out for you, PS the dully pickup I believe also helps the ride some. RVing is not cheap but I would not trade our memories for anything.....
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote