Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Please help! Plethora of problems, new silverback

I have a 2018 Silverback 29IK and have had many, many problems with it since picking it up this past Thursday. I apologize in advance for walls of text.

A hydraulic pro stated "some jagoff crimped the fitting without the hose properly seated" in response to one of my hydraulic hoses blowing apart when operating the lippert jacks. The pro would only warranty his hose and his crimp fittings, he suggested that because one failed more may be in short order to fail (he has seen this happen before on other RVs where one employee had a really bad day). He recommends the factory fix the hydraulics and avoid the questionable "tech" at my dealer.

After taking an in-depth look around the RV, I noticed gaffer tape along all the corner junctions of the slideouts (NOT THERE when I did PDI, at least I am pretty sure). Photos are attached. Dealer states the factory did this and there is nothing to worry about.

Bottom wipe does not extend full length of slide, I am able to see outside, clear as day, when looking under the carpet. Photos are attached. Dealer said this is 100% normal and I should stuff cut up foam pool toys to remedy the gap.

I wish I could trust my dealer, he promised all issues we're fixed (we ended up with two walk throughs sessions) - after final walk through there were issues: improperly installed second AC, error type 1 on CCC2, missing second AC control board, missing foam insulation between hot air return and cold air, AC interior bracket installed backwards, terminal ductwork installed backwards (only 1/2 of AC blows into duct, the other 1/2 mixes with hot return air), and a few other cosmetic issues.

Unit was DIRTY with metal shavings, copper wire stripping, and stripped rubber sealant all over the bedroom. Floors were covered in mud. Was promised a professional detail team would clean before delivery... Take a wild guess if this was done or not.

I was supposed to have the head built for the hitch (dealer said he would not let me do it myself) last Thursday and pickup unit pending final, final walkthrough on Saturday. Well, Thursday came and the dealer had my silverback ready to roll... He looked me in my eyes and said "Jeff fixed everything, you are good to go!" So we took delivery without checking to make sure everything was actually fixed... turns out, the dealer lied and nothing on the "we owe you" sheet was corrected. What happened to trust?

Thusfar the dealer is nonresponsive and a call to forest river on Thursday has gone unreturned.

Anyone care to comment on the slideout issues? Thoughts about the hydraulic system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_190732.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	171040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180504_114057.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	171041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_190851.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	171042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_190917.jpg
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	171043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_190927.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	171044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180506_190858.jpg
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	171045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180504_150050.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	171046  
doc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

I would be on the dealer door step first thing tomorrow morning. Start off being nice with him and see if it will get what you need done.If not,then give him all you can.What your saying is just plain wrong.Big money on a Silverback not to have things working and fixed right.
If you can see daylight through the slide bottom,water can and will make it inside pulling in the rain.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

I forgot to mention the front door does not form a tight seal at the bottom right... almost as if the door bows in the frame - there is also a gap large enough in the bottom right corner of the door for my whole thumb to fit through when the door is shut.

Had the enjoyment of a storm and water not only soaked my entry mat, but I also realized one of my windows has a leak (about 10cc of water sitting on the inside sill).

I really hope forest river browses through these forums... it seems I have a dud on my hands.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

More issues I forgot to mention: undermount sink is not sealed properly - attached is a video, when I press in the countertop, water comes out when it flexes and recedes back under when I let up pressure. Sorry for the clacking in the video, that is my pup getting acquainted with her new home away from home.

There is some type of sealant/glue in about 4 spots (not continuous) on both sinks... water can be felt from underneath.
Attached Files
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Sadly, with this being a "Seller's Market" because of pent-up demand from the recent Super Recession, we are likely to see a lot more of this "Even worse than usual" lack of quality from the industry.

Best of luck on getting these issues resolved.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

If Forest River does read this forum they do it for laughs at break time, because other than Dynamax I have never seen any response from anyone at the factory since I started in 2014.

What is under the tape? Peel it off and look.

Fixup what you can and leave the big things for a service tech. No dealer tech cleans up after themselves... that is not what they are paid to do.

Your dealer may be a dud. Many are, a few are not.

look here at post # 19 as this may be the way to go to get your warranty items fixed.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-158779.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Hydraulic "pro" I met with "Lippert" on his shirt wouldn't know a jagoff from a blonde goat.

Don't know where you are. Your Dealer sounds like 90% of them. I wouldn't deal with any of them after a sale.

It can all be fixed. Probably under warranty. BUT it will cost you time and effort and headache and going around the dealer.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

Honestly, with all the things still wrong after the second pdi, I would have abandoned the sale.

Take it to an independent service only shop for warranty fixes.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Honestly, with all the things still wrong after the second pdi, I would have abandoned the sale.

Take it to an independent service only shop for warranty fixes.
Just to be clear, the hydraulic issue happened after we got to our camp - it functioned proper each time we tested it at the dealer. Didn't see a huge problem with waiting on the AC to be fixed (biggest issue at that time). I never realized the door had a gap because the sweep on the storm door covered the gap when I looked at it (a rock at some point over the last month was wedged in there and bent the bristles - which allowed the issue to be appreciated).

One thing is for sure, never trust anyone... well, trust but verify.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
Charlie & Sue

Plethora Of Problems, New Silverback

Sorry to hear of your woes. Know of one other couple from 2010 who bought a new Silverback in Florida. After numerous trips back tot he nearby dealer for warranty repairs which were never completed satisfactorily, they met with an FR Rep and the dealer and the FR guy instructed the dealer to reimburse them for all costs and sale price. They then went and bought another make new model elsewhere.

That does not solve your issues, but if you can get in touch with the zone Rep for your area you may be able to get somewhere.

I agree that there are not too many dealers out there that are worth their salt when it comes to repair work. The only place I trust any more is Amish Family RV repair near Topeka, Indiana. I was referred to them by Kelly Ware, Customer Service Advisor at Cedar Creek. Her office number is 260-593-4000 with e-mail at kware@forestriverinc.com. Assume she is still there as this was less than a year old. Amish Family are 1 1/2 miles from the factory and only work on Cedar Creek units (including Silverback. Orvan Fry may be contacted at 260-593-0951. ext # 1.

I am located in Atlantic Canada and would go that same distance to get anything repaired considering the quality of work beyond anything that I have ever encountered in the past.

Good luck in getting past your woes.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
Censored Member

Sounds like the “classic RV dealer.” Too many dealers are more than happy to sell you a unit but once you take delivery it’s Hasta La Vista baby. They either don’t want to deal with warranty repairs or in some cases they don’t even know how to make the repairs. I would contact Cedar Creek for a dealer in your area that is capable of taking care of your rig.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #12

Where are you? In Atlanta, go to 3Way Camper in Marietta, if you are near Ocala, FL go to TriAm RV in Ocala. Both are FR dealers and will treat you right. If you can go to Goshen (they still have openings) go there this year for sure.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #13

I guess I will never own a new unit. I would never sign any acceptance paper or give any money until I was satisfied everything was done. Why do people put up with this. Would you by a new car under these conditions??? I have had 4 in my lifetime. bought used every time.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I guess I will never own a new unit. I would never sign any acceptance paper or give any money until I was satisfied everything was done. Why do people put up with this. Would you by a new car under these conditions???
I might, if my new car cost $35,000 and had a bathroom, two tv's, a kitchen, a refrigerator, two beds, recliners, 300 cubic feet of storage, and a kitchen table.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #15

Dealer wants to come out to my camp this week to "go over everything that needs done" - I've given the list of problems, with photos, on three separate occasions now.

My wife spoke to him, not an apology, reason, or excuse why the stuff from PDI/we owe you was not taken care of when he told me it was. I have ZERO faith his "tech" can handle his own drool let alone any of the issues we face. We have taken the advice from others here and reached out to the cedar creek reps mentioned. I really like the dealer/owner - even though all this happened I still trust him (Stockholm anyone?).

He said he talked to FR and "defended" us - from what, I don't know... I think he was "fighting" to have the factory replace the hydraulic lines.

What are the rules here about public shaming of dealers? Is it okay for me to give names here?

Also, could anyone comment on the slide out that has a silverback? Twice we were told the gap is normal for silverbacks, I find it very hard to believe.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
Where are you? In Atlanta, go to 3Way Camper in Marietta, if you are near Ocala, FL go to TriAm RV in Ocala. Both are FR dealers and will treat you right. If you can go to Goshen (they still have openings) go there this year for sure.
I am in Western PA.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc18 View Post
Dealer wants to come out to my camp this week to "go over everything that needs done" - I've given the list of problems, with photos, on three separate occasions now.

My wife spoke to him, not an apology, reason, or excuse why the stuff from PDI/we owe you was not taken care of when he told me it was. I have ZERO faith his "tech" can handle his own drool let alone any of the issues we face. We have taken the advice from others here and reached out to the cedar creek reps mentioned. I really like the dealer/owner - even though all this happened I still trust him (Stockholm anyone?).

He said he talked to FR and "defended" us - from what, I don't know... I think he was "fighting" to have the factory replace the hydraulic lines.

What are the rules here about public shaming of dealers? Is it okay for me to give names here?

Also, could anyone comment on the slide out that has a silverback? Twice we were told the gap is normal for silverbacks, I find it very hard to believe.
It's too bad people don't find these kinds of forums before they buy.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc18 View Post

We have a 2018 33ik. While standing in our unit you can’t see day light out from the slides or the front door.
narrowsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #19

Why no mention of the Stealers name and location so no others will be taken advantage of ?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I did not buy a FR product and went with a SOB for these very reasons. When we looked at the Columbus saw he same types of poor QC. Dealers are not to blame for this the Manager of the division that lets it slide out the door. The dealers response to the problems is the problem here. I say get to FR and have a independent tech fix things up, there was a bad batch of hydraulic hoses a few years back. They are supplied by Lippert with the frame, I have the same ones on my SOB. As far as the gaps that is poor fitting on part of CC and they should replace the slide as it was too small for the opening.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote