Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Power to breakaway switch

I have a Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RL2. My question is regarding the battery shutoff switch, and whether or not it cuts power to the breakaway switch. I normally leave the battery shutoff switch on when driving, actually most of the time. I realize the advantages and disadvantages to leaving the switch on when hooked up to shore power. I will also do my own tests to see how the shutoff switch works. Thanks in advance for all your insight, and as necessary your work arounds. ron
HATHAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

Break away switches are
Normally wired direct to the battery not to the switch.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Break away switches are
Normally wired direct to the battery not to the switch.
That's true but I believe that is not a good idea. When I wired up my disconnect switch, I made sure that EVERTYHING is disconnected from the battery except for my solar controller which I can disconnect with its own breaker/switch. I always have my switch in the on position when not in storage.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's true but I believe that is not a good idea. When I wired up my disconnect switch, I made sure that EVERTYHING is disconnected from the battery except for my solar controller which I can disconnect with its own breaker/switch. I always have my switch in the on position when not in storage.
Yes until someone forgets to turn on the disconnect, I don't know why you would need to do that, a breakaway switch is not a parasite draw. Unless you had a bad magnate or a faulty switch. But that is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..have a good and safe year.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes until someone forgets to turn on the disconnect, I don't know why you would need to do that, a breakaway switch is not a parasite draw. Unless you had a bad magnate or a faulty switch. But that is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..have a good and safe year.
If I forget to turn ion the disconnect switch, I have bigger issues. Fridge won't turn on...I wouldn't even be able to load my trailer since the slides woldn't work! No lights inside! No way I am forgetting the disconnect switch. I want power ALL the way off to everything when its off.

When you turn off the main breaker to your house, do you want anything on still?
Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

1. it is 'normal' to have the break away switch wired to the battery so the setting of the disconnect switch will not disable the break away function.
2. the break away switch is a simple on/off switch. with the pin in the switch is open and there will be no current flowing through the switch.
3. i installed my own disconnect switch directly on the battery so no my break away switch is no longer wire directly to the battery. however, i could not hook up and tow with my disconnect switch in the off position. i must turn it on to power power the pump to raise the front legs. that is my fail safe to ensure that i do not tow with the break away switch unpowered.
4. by not powering the break away switch while in storage i am preventing to possibility of snagging the break switch cable and inadvertently activating the brakes.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
1. it is 'normal' to have the break away switch wired to the battery so the setting of the disconnect switch will not disable the break away function.
2. the break away switch is a simple on/off switch. with the pin in the switch is open and there will be no current flowing through the switch.
3. i installed my own disconnect switch directly on the battery so no my break away switch is no longer wire directly to the battery. however, i could not hook up and tow with my disconnect switch in the off position. i must turn it on to power power the pump to raise the front legs. that is my fail safe to ensure that i do not tow with the break away switch unpowered.
4. by not powering the break away switch while in storage i am preventing to possibility of snagging the break switch cable and inadvertently activating the brakes.
Agree to all above. I could never tow without turning on my switch. My tongue jack wouldn't be powered.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #8

There is many ways people like to handle the switch as stated, but what do all these things help answer the Ops question, talk about side track.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

I often have wondered about a prankster pulling on the break away switch cord and activating the brakes while the unit is in storage since mine bypasses the disconnect switch. What would happen with them activated at full throttle like that until the battery drew down?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post
I often have wondered about a prankster pulling on the break away switch cord and activating the brakes while the unit is in storage since mine bypasses the disconnect switch. What would happen with them activated at full throttle like that until the battery drew down?
Nothing will happen other than the battery getting discharged. Why not have it disconnect with the switch?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Nothing will happen other than the battery getting discharged. Why not have it disconnect with the switch?
Agreed but that's not the way it was built, I suppose that prevents accidental forgetting to turn the battery disconnect back on and driving it down the road without turning power back onto the emergency braking. I was thinking about wires overheating etc if that happened. Thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Agreed but that's not the way it was built, I suppose that prevents accidental forgetting to turn the battery disconnect back on and driving it down the road without turning power back onto the emergency braking. I was thinking about wires overheating etc if that happened. Thanks
Wires will not over heat.

Mine was built with it connected to the battery. Not anymore!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
We have instances on these forums where the switch actually melted when energized for awhile. This is probably determined by length of time, switch brand, etc.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakaway, power, switch