Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Prewired for roof satellite

We have a 2018 Cedar Creek 38 FBD fifth wheel and it was supposed to be pre-wire for a traveler satellite system. However, when I cut the location on the roof I only find one grey coax and it appears it is one coax connected between the bedroom and front tv. If this is the case then I assume I can cut the grey coax an add a coax connected to both ends which will give me connections to both tv's. however I do not have a wire for the control module. Has anyone had this issue or a suggestion of how I can run another control wire, the front tv is in a slide and I am not sure where to run the wire
Any help appreciated
Jimrose
jimrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:15 AM   #2

2017 38EL CC Champagne

Just finished installing the Winegard TRav'ler. Was a little nervous that it might not be wired correctly. Did find the controller end in the front closet first so I at least knew the controller cable was there. There were 3 cables tied together at the roof hole.
Have you looked for the indoor controller end. It should be in the front closet. Has a duplex power outlet next to it. I removed the blank plate and pulled out the controller cable. If yours doesn't have this contact your dealer or CC.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

I let someone else install my Trav'ler. I had a turret motor go out at the Goshen rally and had to manually bring the satellite dish down. Wineguard sent me another unit and was supposed to pay one hour and a half on the install, it took almost three hours. I'll probably eat the install, I had the unit almost one year.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #4

I will look in the front closet however our TV is on the opposite end of the RV so I thought the blank plate would be there it is not and on the roof I only find the one gray cable no black table but thanks for the help
Old 09-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello

Before cutting give the coax a tug. I bet there is a loop of coax and the control cable is attached to grey coax with a ty warp or as some call them zip ties.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

I believe I had the same problem on my 2017 36CKTS. My dealer ran a power cable to my front storage and taped it down to the roof. He put the control unit in the front storage. Everything works fine.
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

I will check it out again on Monday unit is currently in storage
Old 09-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

We have a 2016 CC 36CKTS and in the literature it said it was prewired for the Trav'ler and it was.

Let me say, in-hind sight I most likely wouldn't buy another one. You can buy a tripod, a dish, meter, and all the stuff you need for about $200. While the Trav'ler is really cool and all that it's really just a $200 dish and a $1000+ pointing system. May be better $ to have a beer and point it myself.

I remember reading somewhere they were now selling the King Dish sat dish. So I looked in the 38EL brochure and there is no mention I found for the Trav'ler prewiring.

You might have to run your own control wire and cable.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I let someone else install my Trav'ler. I had a turret motor go out at the Goshen rally and had to manually bring the satellite dish down. Wineguard sent me another unit and was supposed to pay one hour and a half on the install, it took almost three hours. I'll probably eat the install, I had the unit almost one year.
Had a turret motor go out *twice* this year

Once in April and then again in August. Fortunately, the April one was in Warranty, and so was the August replacement. Does NOT give me a warm and fuzzy about the dur5ability and reliability of a $3K Satellite system!

I asked the tech, and he said an out of warranty motor replacement with parts and labor could cost up to $1,500. Good Grief!

If I had it to do all over again, I think I would get one of those in-motion systems that did not need to deploy a dish AND go with Dish Network so I could get HD TV on the unit.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Turrett Failure

I'm curious, Did Winegard indicate why, not 1 but 2 turrets failed? Ours is a remanufactured unit bought from someone who left it up during travel.
We also have the King Quest for DTV. Haven't used it with our present DTV Genie system, but it can be hooked to as a SWM. Only down side is no HD, only SD.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, roo, roof, satellite