Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Global Nomad

Propane acting strangely

I have a 2015 36CKTS with 2 30# propane tanks. It is acting strangely. Both tanks have propane. Periodically, like today, temperature 51 degrees, and running hot water, when all of a sudden, no hot water. Both tanks on. Get flame on stove, but regulator shows red (both tanks empty). Change direction from one tank to other, indicator turns green for that tank, still no hot water, but flame to stove. Eventually, I will get hot water again. Everything all right for a couple of days. Then this all happens again. I'm stumped.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I have a 2015 36CKTS with 2 30# propane tanks. It is acting strangely. Both tanks have propane. Periodically, like today, temperature 51 degrees, and running hot water, when all of a sudden, no hot water. Both tanks on. Get flame on stove, but regulator shows red (both tanks empty). Change direction from one tank to other, indicator turns green for that tank, still no hot water, but flame to stove. Eventually, I will get hot water again. Everything all right for a couple of days. Then this all happens again. I'm stumped.

Not sure I am following exactly what you are describing, especially the part emboldened in red above.

Are you saying your auto changeover has the ability to show you that both cylinders are empty at the same time?

This thread may help explain how the auto changeover valve usually works, which just indicates ONE cylinder.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html

As for the water heater, are you using it on propane..... or is it possibly on electric too?

Have you made sure the crossover line (if equipped) is correct also.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

What exactly do you mean when you say 'all of the sudden' there is no hot water? How long are you running the water for (you may have only a six gallon tank possibly).

What kind of water heater do you have? Is it a tank type or tankless on-demand type?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

Simply guess is that your propane regulator is going bad. I had to replace mine after one year of use. I too ran out of hot water and no gas to the stove sometimes but it did work intermediately. I check the tanks and their were full when I tried to have them filled up.
I ordered a new gas valve and regulator on line from Amazon Prime for $45 with a short hose for both tanks. This was an exact replacement for the original valve and hoses.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Simply guess is that your propane regulator is going bad. I had to replace mine after one year of use. I too ran out of hot water and no gas to the stove sometimes but it did work intermediately. I check the tanks and their were full when I tried to have them filled up.
I ordered a new gas valve and regulator on line from Amazon Prime for $45 with a short hose for both tanks. This was an exact replacement for the original valve and hoses.
Thank you. With the above symptoms, I suspect the regulator has gone bad. Thank you.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Global Nomad

Quote:
Do you, by any chance, know the description # or link on amazon for that?

Old 10-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

I swapped the regulator on mine but one of the pigtails was also bad. The regulator was causing the furnace and water heater to sputter when running at the same time. Swapped the regulator and it worked but could not change over tanks and swapping the pigtail resolved that problem.

It may not be just one thing.

I have a different trailer but I used Cavagna (52-A-890-0006C Auto Changeover Regulator Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN3HRY..._2AG1Bb2KTW196
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I swapped the regulator on mine but one of the pigtails was also bad. The regulator was causing the furnace and water heater to sputter when running at the same time. Swapped the regulator and it worked but could not change over tanks and swapping the pigtail resolved that problem.

It may not be just one thing.

I have a different trailer but I used Cavagna (52-A-890-0006C Auto Changeover Regulator Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN3HRY..._2AG1Bb2KTW196
I agree it may not be one thing.

I had the red pressure lowering regulator go bad on my 2nd tank. Replaced it and the new one didn't flow as much propane. Had to get a second, different brand before it would allow more than one appliance to burn correctly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #8

Since your only issue has been with the water heater, I may also suspect an issue there. Spiders love propane and will build webs in the igniter. I would look there for an issue. I have also had a problem when one of the tank pigtails was not fully seated. I would disconnect and reconnect the pigtails.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Global Nomad

It might be a pigtail. Everything is working now, so it is hard to diagnose. I doubt it is the on-demand water heater, as that would not cause my tank fill indicator to turn red. I suspect regulator or a pigtail, as you suggest.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
Site Team

I asked if you has an on demand type water heater earlier. If so, then they can be affected by water flow rate too. You may have different problems.
Quote:
It might be a pigtail. Everything is working now, so it is hard to diagnose. I doubt it is the on-demand water heater, as that would not cause my tank fill indicator to turn red. I suspect regulator or a pigtail, as you suggest.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

If you have a Girard tank-less hotwater heater, I would suspect all your problems are related to it. No special knowledge, just my humble opinion that the earlier models are junk. I think that CC only offers them as an option now, but on my 2018 they were the default heater. To CC's credit they did replace mine during my warranty period.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Do you, by any chance, know the description # or link on amazon for that?
Sorry, I am answering you so late but I just saw this request. I copied the part number from Amazon when I put this in my repair spread sheet. So, here goes part number is 52-A-890-0006C which is for a for Cavagna Auto regulator. They are not providing the hose assemblies any more just the valve.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #13
Global Nomad

Quote:
Sorry, I am answering you so late but I just saw this request. I copied the part number from Amazon when I put this in my repair spread sheet. So, here goes part number is 52-A-890-0006C which is for a for Cavagna Auto regulator. They are not providing the hose assemblies any more just the valve.
Thank you, I will order it.

Tags
propane