Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

propane check flow

Need advice on detecting potential flow problem with Cedar Creek set up. was in rv 2 nights ago, got COLD at 6AM (like always, right).

Had one cannister run dry. Tried to switch to second tank and got nothing. it is at least 2/3 FULL by weight. Took out empty and swapped sides.....opened valve, still no flow.

No pinched lines.

Questions:

* how can I check the cannister after removing it (each) to ensure propane is flowing outward from the canister to the lines (intake)?

* how can I check the VALVE TRANSFER SWITCH to ensure that is working appropriately?

NOTE: when I refilled the empty cannister and placed it back in the same position, propane flowed and is presently working. BUT; not going to work on the other side. Considering taking a full smaller tank from home grill and hooking it up to see if it flows which would pinpoint the issue to the larger 2/3 full canister......

" Tanks a lot"
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

I had a similar issue last year in the spring, with my regulator/switch over valve. The valve was slowing falling, only one tank would flow and provide propane to my trailer and outside grill. When we were on a two week trip last year it failed, neither tank would flow. I had both tanks checked at the campground, at the propane station and one was full and the other was 1/2 full. The attendant fill the 1/2 full tank and the regulator/switch over valve would not work, no flow at all. Since this was summer and we were going home in two days and did not need the propane, I could order one from Amazon for $45.

I installed this valve when we got home and the entire system works great now. We spent a month in AL this last fall and I switch back and forth both tanks to make sure that the valve was working.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Tnx Jim. PM coming [emoji106]
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Reconnect tank with propane to system. Open valve Very very slowly until you just hear the propane flowing. Wait a minute or two and then open the rest of the way. If you ran out and the second tank was not on, the system lost pressure. When you connected the second tank and turned it on, it senses a sudden flow of propane ( into unpressurized lines) and thought it was a free flow and triggered the free flow prevention system. By opening slowly and allowing very little flow to pressurize the system, it will not retrigger when you completely open the tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I had a similar issue last year in the spring, with my regulator/switch over valve. The valve was slowing falling, only one tank would flow and provide propane to my trailer and outside grill. When we were on a two week trip last year it failed, neither tank would flow. I had both tanks checked at the campground, at the propane station and one was full and the other was 1/2 full. The attendant fill the 1/2 full tank and the regulator/switch over valve would not work, no flow at all. Since this was summer and we were going home in two days and did not need the propane, I could order one from Amazon for $45.

I installed this valve when we got home and the entire system works great now. We spent a month in AL this last fall and I switch back and forth both tanks to make sure that the valve was working.
I carry a spare one with me
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #6

FlyBob, will try that approach as well. Makes sense. I Do not run both open on cold nights.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Reconnect tank with propane to system. Open valve Very very slowly until you just hear the propane flowing. Wait a minute or two and then open the rest of the way. If you ran out and the second tank was not on, the system lost pressure. When you connected the second tank and turned it on, it senses a sudden flow of propane ( into unpressurized lines) and thought it was a free flow and triggered the free flow prevention system. By opening slowly and allowing very little flow to pressurize the system, it will not retrigger when you completely open the tank.

X2 [emoji106]
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #8

Going up to the N GA mountains in the next couple of days and will REPORT BACK after I try this recommendation. HOPE IT IS WHAT IT IS [emoji16]. All summer we are going to be on again/off again as we change the way we use our rv.
Combo of many sites in N GA, travel and storage.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

I run both tanks open. I have installed Bluetooth sensors on my LP tanks, I just check the apps. Sometimes I take both tanks out, when I do that I go inside and turn on the stove and start trying to light the burners. Once the burners light, then I'm sure I have gas in the system
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

FlyBob's advice was correct. Followed and got flow from each side. Tnx to all responders. Gotta love this forum with lots of solid opinions based on experience.

Tags
check, propane