Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Pro's and Con's

Just wondering if anyone out there owns a Silverback 33lk and if they would like to share any Pro's or Con's regarding their rig. Looking at this unit or a Grand Design 310GK or Keystone Montana 3120RL Have heard all the praise about the Grand Design customer service, wondering about Forest River. Also interested in your TV, presently have a F-250 4x2 6.2L. I know I will need a bit more truck!!
gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

Hi,

Can't speak to latest production, but my 33 was reasonably well-built. With five years of use -- including 2-3 months each winter snowbirding -- it has held up decently and is quite liveable.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #3

I can't speak of the newer models either. But my 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek has performed flawlessly for the years that I have owned this trailer. I did have some service work done out of warranty for free. The front cap and the rear cap were fading do to the sunlight after four years of outside storage. Forest River set-up and paid for the end caps to be repainted and provided new decals for the caps in the summer of 2019.

I have also owned a Keystone product, a Cougar 5th wheel. All I can save is never again will I own another Keystone product.

As far as a tow vehicle I would recommend a diesel engine truck, a 3500 SRW configuration. Now as far as brand I am partial to the RAM trucks with the Cummins engine.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #4

We have a 2016 33IK and like it very well. My first year of ownership was a nightmare due to quality of build issues, but FR stood behind their product pretty well. Once all was fixed, ownership became enjoyable. My selling dealer's service department was totally incompetent yet being a mechanic by trade I was lucky a district rep sent me most all parts needed to resolve my many issues. I have heard that FR has changed how they go about customer service in the past year to the dismay of some owners. I've owned 3 Montana's over the years. Keystone's legendary customer service overall has slid quite a bit also in the last few years. Build quality and peace of mind ownership was about the same in both brands for us ... I will say this 33IK pulls better than any of my Montana's did and the cold weather camping in late Fall seems a bit more comfortable. Different insulation techniques are involved. I did have to install 2 more ceiling vents and go to different supply grills to make the A/C's work properly, but that was an easy task. The floorplan works well for us with ample counter space and storage space. Ours has the cathedral roof on the bedroom and dining slides which makes the space inside look bigger, but the cathedral roof on the dining slide ran rain water right on to the entry steps. The newer 33IK's have gone to the dropped frame like Cedar Creeks ... makes more pass thru storage which I wished I had ... Ha! At 37' you'll find it right at the sweet spot where you can still get it in old Corps Park sites and many, but not all National Parks.

As for trucks ... I have a Ford 1 ton dually because I need one for what I do with it besides RVing. I'm no weight police, so if all you are doing is running to a lake 3 times a year about 100 miles away ... your 3/4 ton will do. If you plan on full or long timing with lotsa travel ... get a 1 ton diesel.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
We have a 2016 33IK and like it very well. My first year of ownership was a nightmare due to quality of build issues, but FR stood behind their product pretty well. Once all was fixed, ownership became enjoyable. My selling dealer's service department was totally incompetent yet being a mechanic by trade I was lucky a district rep sent me most all parts needed to resolve my many issues. I have heard that FR has changed how they go about customer service in the past year to the dismay of some owners. I've owned 3 Montana's over the years. Keystone's legendary customer service overall has slid quite a bit also in the last few years. Build quality and peace of mind ownership was about the same in both brands for us ... I will say this 33IK pulls better than any of my Montana's did and the cold weather camping in late Fall seems a bit more comfortable. Different insulation techniques are involved. I did have to install 2 more ceiling vents and go to different supply grills to make the A/C's work properly, but that was an easy task. The floorplan works well for us with ample counter space and storage space. Ours has the cathedral roof on the bedroom and dining slides which makes the space inside look bigger, but the cathedral roof on the dining slide ran rain water right on to the entry steps. The newer 33IK's have gone to the dropped frame like Cedar Creeks ... makes more pass thru storage which I wished I had ... Ha! At 37' you'll find it right at the sweet spot where you can still get it in old Corps Park sites and many, but not all National Parks.

As for trucks ... I have a Ford 1 ton dually because I need one for what I do with it besides RVing. I'm no weight police, so if all you are doing is running to a lake 3 times a year about 100 miles away ... your 3/4 ton will do. If you plan on full or long timing with lotsa travel ... get a 1 ton diesel.
Gubs... Welcome to the forum from the Space Coast of Florida...

X2 ^^^^ plus... we also own a 2016 33IK. Have put over 35K miles on it. It has been pretty much problem free. Had the same front cap fade but factory took care of it thru Orvan. A plus for Cedar Creek Silverback is Orvan. Search this forum and you will see why. I don’t know how the factory is now on warranty. We are well out but when we were in they stood behind the product. One key, get a good dealer if possible. Stay away from camping world. We had a great dealer in Ocala Florida but then again that was 5 years ago.

TV ... we pulled this RV for about 3 years with a F250 SRW, diesel. Pulled with no issue but we were over weight by about 1000 lbs. The tongue weight on our 33IK when loaded how we camp as measured at a CAT scale is 3000lbs. Upgraded to a F350, SRW , Super Duty diesel. Now only over GVWR by 40lbs, lol. Honestly though I can not tell any difference in towing performance between the 250 and the 350... oh, I added airbags to the 250. Your truck is a gasser so you won’t be as much over GVWR due to the less weight of the gas engine. But if you plan on hitting the mountains out west, get that F350,SRW, diesel. Pulls like candy plus the exhaust brake is just the bomb. I know, I just did it last year.

Both of my TVs were short bed. I towed for the last 4 years using a Reese 16K manual slider hitch. Never needed the slider due to how the front cap is designed on the 33IK. I have not seen the newer model,so don’t know if they are the same. My buddy has a Montana. He has the same Reese hitch as I and same F250 truck. He blew the rear window out backing into his driveway on the day he brought it home. He figured since I didn’t need to slide then he would be ok...not. Montana’s cap much more square than the 33IK.

I’ve recently changed to the Andersen Ultimate. Still no turning issue even with the hitch king pin in the minimum position. Not only that it only weighs 40lbs. I don’t need my SIL to come help me wrestle out the 150lb Reese hitch.

I replace the microwave for a convection microwave. I also wish I had upgraded to the day/night roller shades. We love it and have had overall good luck with it, We went to the Tampa RV show this year and did not see anything that would want us to buy newer. I do like the basement storage upgrade with the dropped frame but we’ve used it for 5 years now and will use for another 5...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote