Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

Protecting Washer Hoses in front bay from freezing

I have a 2018 Cedar Creek 38EL with the Splendide Washer/Dryer combo. The hoses for the washer run in the front bay that is not heated and is open to the outside thru the leveler jack openings. When stationary hooked to power I am using a small heater inside of the bay to keep the hoses / pipes from freezing. When on the road I can't heat the bay and am concerned that the pipes may freeze. Are these some kind of pipes that freezing will not hurt? Is there a 12 volt strip heat tape that I can buy and insulate the pipes? How does everybody keep the washer hoses from freezing when towing? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

If you are only driving 5/6 hours, you will be okay unless you are in the teens for temperature.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #3

You could buy heat tape and pipe insulation. The only issue with that is they it is 110 and will need to be plugged in to your inverter along with the frig.
Depending on outside temp and how far (hours) you are traveling, all your plumbing is vulnerable. You will have to do sometimes about your frig water line also, it is exposed under slide out.
I would place 1/4 turn valves on low level drains and drain system. Leave them open and also open all Fausts to allow complete drainage, with our winterizing. I have done this, and have had no issue.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusso View Post
You could buy heat tape and pipe insulation. The only issue with that is they it is 110 and will need to be plugged in to your inverter along with the frig.
Depending on outside temp and how far (hours) you are traveling, all your plumbing is vulnerable. You will have to do sometimes about your frig water line also, it is exposed under slide out.
I would place 1/4 turn valves on low level drains and drain system. Leave them open and also open all Fausts to allow complete drainage, with our winterizing. I have done this, and have had no issue.
I don't have the residential fridge for those reasons and others. I am leaning towards buying the Dewalt 1000 watt inverter and mount it in the generator front area and go the heat tape route. That should work. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Although I assume your truck will be charging the house battery ... you might want to consider amp draw. Just throwing this out ... two 15' heat tapes will draw about 6 amps DC.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Frozen washing machine hoses

We have had our washing machine hoses freeze up on two occasions. Once the temperature gets back up above freezing for a few hours, or a few days, everything goes back to normal.

We have never had a problem with waterlines breaking when this happens.

However I would love to have feedback from anybody who has a solution to this. Is there way to get additional heat into the front storage unit with the water pipes are? Can I open the low water drains while I am traveling to get all the water out of the lines?
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

add 100 watt light while on shore power.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #8

Low point drains will not get every bit of the water out of your lines ... just most of it. There are to many zig zag routings in any unit to rely on low point drains alone.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

I have a small space heater on low med. I also put pink insulation in the opening around the landing gear. The extra advantage of this it heats the bedroom floor. Have done this for 2 winters will no issue. The
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #10

The issue with a 100 watt light is that there is no control. It gets hot and stays hot. The heater is thermostat controlled and is only there to keep the temp above 33 degrees. Much safe, I have seen to many fires start from a light bulb used as a heat source, you have no control of it.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
Old 01-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

It is interesting how things change from year to year. In my 2011 36CKTS the washer lines run thru the heated pass thru bay and then up in the bedroom floor into a chase. This chase goes along the bedroom wall, under the dresser and cabinet of drawers. The lines then come up in the closet to the termination box where washer hoses and drain connect. If I pull the dresser drawers out I can see these lines. That chase keeps the lines in an insulated area at all times. I like my arrangement better than I knew.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
It is interesting how things change from year to year. In my 2011 36CKTS the washer lines run thru the heated pass thru bay and then up in the bedroom floor into a chase. This chase goes along the bedroom wall, under the dresser and cabinet of drawers. The lines then come up in the closet to the termination box where washer hoses and drain connect. If I pull the dresser drawers out I can see these lines. That chase keeps the lines in an insulated area at all times. I like my arrangement better than I knew.
Travel safe
That is the setup we had with our previous FR fifth wheel and don't know why they changed. We have been wondering if the lines could be redone under the bedroom dresser and settee. Will check with dealer at som future point.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote