Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Purchasing 2015 33IK silverback, what to lookfor

Looking at a 2015 33IK and want to know if there are any areas I should pay special attention to when I inspect it.
I will look over the usual items, test all the systems, etc.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

I can't think of anything that has gone wrong with mine that wasn't either minor or incidental. I replaced the converter right away, but that was part of installing my solar system.

On reflection, my front cap faded early and Forest River paid for a great paint job. But that's an easily observable condition to assess. At that age, be sure it has new tires, of course.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

We purchased our 2016 33IK in September 2015. We have been very happy with it. We did have an issue with the bedroom slide floor. It was evidently bad when we bought it. It was replaced under warranty the first year. I would check the wood flooring in all the slides.
We too had the front cap replaced under warranty.
Other than that just the normal issues you have with an rv.
Good luck.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #4

We purchased our new 2016 33IK in August 2015. We took it to Orvan when still under warranty. As another member posted we also had to have the bedroom slide floor replaced due to water damage. Check the floor and also check the caulk seal on the outside. You will need a ladder as this seam can’t be seen from the ground and many overlook this. There is a trim piece that you could bang your head on if not careful. That is what you want to inspect on the top edge where it fits against the slide.

We also had a fading front cap. It was replaced by Orvan while under warranty with a new cap. You would have to pay out of your pocket to repaint if this unit has that issue.

Also, the LED lights inside were starting to loose individual LED segments. Just look at the lights and you will be able to tell if all the individual LEDs are lit.They all were replaced. Easy do it yourself job but still need to buy the replacements.

You don’t mention if this particular unit has the EZ-Flex suspension system or how much it may have been used. May be time to replace the EZ-Flex shackle and wet bolts and bushings. I just replaced mine after 5 years and the bushings on the wet bolts were not bronze and were shot. The new EZ-Flex kit kit comes with bronze bushings for the wet bolts. Cost about $400 to replace if you want to add to repair costs for making a deal.

Tires, check the tires. This is not a 33IK issue but an industry issue. If the tires are old do not pull it very far as it can turn into a very expensive problem if a tire lets loose and does damage to the skirtings and wheel well wiring.

We have pulled our 33IK over 40,000 miles and have really not had any major issues. We have thought about buying a new unit but just don’t see anything that beats what we have.

Good luck...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:03 AM   #5

I would recommend that it has a TPMS before you pull it anywhere. I upgraded my old TPMS to a TST507 prior to my last trip and it alerted me about a blown tire immediately. It alerted me about my second blowout 40 miles later. No damage to the trailer since I was immediately alerted.

Also, make sure your spare is in 'ready' condition.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I have a TPMS that will move. I’ll have to get a new spare as mine is the wrong size. Now I will look extra at the bedroom slide. I do hope to get it to orvan in the summer, I’ll have to make an appt.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
Green Horn

We just left Orvan today, after talking to him about our unit.
He advised us not to sell it. He feels the 2015 units are the best built and do what it takes to keep them.....So out we go in two months for repairs and mods...
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

I'll second what dalford said above. I have a 2015 Silverback 29RE that I bought new in February 2015.

My first issue with the unit came our 3rd winter while in FL. The black & gray water pull valve lines became brittle and the black tank line broke. This is a real problem that you can't overlook. I took my Silverback to Orvan at Amish Family RV in Topeka, IN. He built these units for 17 years and knows all about them. Had him replace all the lines. Said they are too long from the factory and the slack causes problem areas. Several folks on this site have had this issue.

Orvan also replaced the nose on our unit due to paint fading. The ceiling puck lights flicker and need to be replaced. I had water problems in the bedroom slide due to the factory not caulking the trim piece on that slideout. Orvan said he'd check that trim area and when he did the particle board there was quite wet.

We really like our Silverback and probably have at least 20+K on it. The problems we've had are few (although some important), but I taken it into Amish Family twice in 5 years just to have things checked over and things repaired. It's only about 50 miles from my home. Owning any RV requires upkeep and maintanence.
Parrothead Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead Mike View Post
I'll second what dalford said above. I have a 2015 Silverback 29RE that I bought new in February 2015.

My first issue with the unit came our 3rd winter while in FL. The black & gray water pull valve lines became brittle and the black tank line broke. This is a real problem that you can't overlook. I took my Silverback to Orvan at Amish Family RV in Topeka, IN. He built these units for 17 years and knows all about them. Had him replace all the lines. Said they are too long from the factory and the slack causes problem areas. Several folks on this site have had this issue.

Orvan also replaced the nose on our unit due to paint fading. The ceiling puck lights flicker and need to be replaced. I had water problems in the bedroom slide due to the factory not caulking the trim piece on that slideout. Orvan said he'd check that trim area and when he did the particle board there was quite wet.

We really like our Silverback and probably have at least 20+K on it. The problems we've had are few (although some important), but I taken it into Amish Family twice in 5 years just to have things checked over and things repaired. It's only about 50 miles from my home. Owning any RV requires upkeep and maintanence.
50 miles to Orvan... lucky you! We live in central Florida but Iím planning another trip to see home next year. We will make it into a fun trip and it will be well,worth it...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #10

On further reflection, I did have MorRide upgrade my shackles after a couple of years. And I also upgraded the stairs at The Rally after a couple of years, and went to Endurance tires.

But I would judge these fall into the area of discretionary upgrades or necessary maintenance after tens of thousands of miles.

Interesting that Orvan feels that way -- and encouraging.

Rich
richp is offline   Reply With Quote