Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Question on Cabinetry

Hello folks - I'm looking at possibly a Cedar Creek Champagne Edition 38EL, or possibly one of the new CC units 360RL. I'm confused on cabinetry quality/construction.

I was under the impression that the Champagne Editions (38EL) had hardwood cabinet stiles and doors/drawers. Last time we saw them was at the 2018 Hershey show, but I can't recall if I actually checked. However, some posts here indicate they do, but the CC website doesn't specifically state it. On the Hathaway and Silverback mini-sites, they state "European Beech Cabinet Doors and Fascia in Kitchen and Living Room", but that could be talking about finish and not materials.

I know the new CC models are just starting to hit dealers now since they've consolidated the Silverback and Hathaway lines. Does the Champagne Edition have actual stained hardwood stiles? Or are they vinyl wrapped lumbercore?

If the answer is yes, does anyone find a reasonable difference in that vs. true stained hardwood? I ask because we have a Jayco Eagle TT now with wrapped lumbercore. The issue we have is occasionally the dogs drip water from their bowl and it leaches into the cabinet bases and swells at the teams. Hardwood wouldn't do this. So while I'm not against the look of wrapped lumbercore, I am concerned about this issue - it's minor, but I'm a nitpicker at times. Perhaps my Jayco uses pressboard and not a solid wood wrapped in vinyl?

Thank you for your input/feedback.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #2

Not sure on the Cedar Creek line but look at the River Stone line from the Reserve to the Legacy, all solid wood but they are heavier then the Cedar Creeks. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

I am interested in answers too.

But true hardwood wood add about $10,000 to the cost and probably 500 to 1000 lbs to the trailer. Very few home kutchen cabinets are true hardwood and neither is furniture.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Not sure on the Cedar Creek line but look at the River Stone line from the Reserve to the Legacy, all solid wood but they are heavier then the Cedar Creeks. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy
We are looking at Riverstone also - both Riverstone and the new Riverstone Reserve. I like the construction techniques used in both CC and Riverstone - hung walls, screwed frames rather than welded and the segmented underbelly. Anyone who's had to get into the underside of their RV for any repair or maintenance knows how insane it is to manage that massive one-peice coroplast unberbelly on most.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I am interested in answers too.

But true hardwood wood add about $10,000 to the cost and probably 500 to 1000 lbs to the trailer. Very few home kutchen cabinets are true hardwood and neither is furniture.

I'm not talking about the entire cabinet - just the stiles (face frames) and doors. Almost all use hardwood doors, and better units use hardwood stiles. The rest of the cabinet is plywood or luan - and yes, necessary for lightweight.

Montana, Riverstone, Bighorn, Landmark, Jayco Pinnacle, Redwood, etc. all use hardwood stiles.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

In the real cabinet business stiles are a mark of inferior cabinet construction. Lighter structure of the cabinet. Harder to get big stuff in. Our family was one of the premier kitchen contractors.

Input from previous owners is likely not worth much as the manufacturers change stuff often. The more you pay the better the stuff.

Our 18 Hathaway has better than average construction cabinets for trailers. Not modern euro style, a four board Box, birch back and pretty doors with euro hinges. Doors appear to be wood. I had to rebuild one as the glue failed. Sides are likely birch. We tore one off a cabinet Door with a slide. Hard lesson on the slide thing. Door was fine. Hinge was not. Mom has her bungi cords now.

Good luck. Shop hard.

We preferred the Hathaway line as compared to others as in 18 it was tougher built, Less glitz. I have a structural background. No more shopping for several years.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote