Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #41

That's what my DW said but I paid for the camera and it's a shame it doesn't work. I think I got lied to today when I called Cedar Creek. They said that Cedar Creek did the wiring and they do but they send the camera along and let the dealer install the camera but when you buy any camper expect to get lied too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That's what my DW said but I paid for the camera and it's a shame it doesn't work. I think I got lied to today when I called Cedar Creek. They said that Cedar Creek did the wiring and they do but they send the camera along and let the dealer install the camera but when you buy any camper expect to get lied too.

I disagree with your statement about being lied too from Cedar Creek!

I did not order the back-up camera from CC, just another electronic item to fail. But the camper is pre-wired by Cedar Creek and the dealer is to install the camera at the dealership if purchased. This is the way ours was shipped to us.

The companies contracted to tow the campers to the dealers have no need for them and the campers sit it the haulers yards waiting for a tow rig to tow them. The cameras could be stolen if installed.

We took our grandkids to Bristol IN, this year and when driving around saw several contract companies with campers waiting in the storage yard to be deliver to dealers.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I disagree with your statement about being lied too from Cedar Creek!

I did not order the back-up camera from CC, just another electronic item to fail. But the camper is pre-wired by Cedar Creek and the dealer is to install the camera at the dealership if purchased. This is the way ours was shipped to us.

The companies contracted to tow the campers to the dealers have no need for them and the campers sit it the haulers yards waiting for a tow rig to tow them. The cameras could be stolen if installed.

We took our grandkids to Bristol IN, this year and when driving around saw several contract companies with campers waiting in the storage yard to be deliver to dealers.

Cedar Creek knew that camera would only transmit 30ft, what they did was look at the back of the camera and saw it would transmit 330ft in a open area. Cedar Creek did not put the camera on but it went with the camper to be installed later by the dealer. Cedar Creek is just like all the other company's that make campers, do anything to save a buck at my expense.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #44

I am pretty sure that for a few bucks more (and I mean just a few bucks) CC could also pre-wire an antenna extension cable from the location of where the camera (of whatever brand) is to be installed, to the front cap and have a small, water tight port for an antenna. That would cure this whole problem.

In the meantime, I bought the Rearview Safety quad camera system (with only the rear camera). That works great when stationary but as soon as you move forward faster than walking pace the signal freezes up. I contacted their Customer Service Dept and they were great (at first), sending me a pair of booster antenna for the camera and monitor at no charge. It improved slightly. When I contacted them asking for further advice, not a word. It has been almost a month now and several emails, none of which have been responded to. All I am asking is do they sell the extension cable so that I can bring the antenna to the front end.

If anyone knows what sort of coax I need I would be grateful for any advice and where to buy the stuff from as well.

Cheers.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #45

I will have to try with TV lights on can't get mine to sync up to check out thanks Rick.
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #46

I called Furrion and Cedar Creek, I then heard back from Furrion. They are going to send me another camera, the only thing wrong is the camera that came on camper is for 30ft line of site and my camper is 35ft. There are two models of this camera, one is for 30ft line of site and one is for 100ft line of site. Cedar Creek sends the one for 30ft line of site. The genius at Cedar Creek all they done was look on back of camera and see where it said 330 ft open area and said this will work and it's $399 and the next model is $499, we can save $100 but the $399 camera is only good for 30ft and it will not work. There is a difference between open area and line of site. I paid for this camera and I expect it to work just like the TV and the TV lift, the fireplace and all the other extra stuff that I paid for. I did not order the camper, I brought the camper off the lot and good luck with trying to take stuff off of a camper that's on the lot.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #47
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
These problems you'al have discovered is why I'll be going with a camera that's from Garmin and is made to use with my gps as a monitor.....thanks for sav'in me some green-backs.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #48
Georgia Rally Coordinator

WeRCreekers Yep guess it is. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #49

1 TT; 2 5ers; 8 years; including x country and back. No camera. Patient spouse; cell phones and practice parking.
As far as "observation" when rolling; great factory towing mirrors gives a clear side vision.
Guess with a motorhome, watching your TOAD
would be important since you cannot see it.
In states allowing a double tow with a 5er, I would have one for sure. You are responsible for what you tow.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #50

Update

I just got a new camera, I called and talked to someone and all I have to do is send the old one back. This new camera is like the one that came on camper but this monitor has a antenna on it and it's good for 100 ft. It's raining here so will be Saturday before I can hook it up

Old 07-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #51
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I had a similar situation with my Wildcat. Furrion exchanged the camera for free. You won't believe how much better the replacement is. Clearer, sharper, quicker and no drop outs. Glad you got to experience that great Furrion customer service.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #52

Mine is wired into the running lights too, only works with the lights on. The picture can be changed around in the menu settings will see how its works going down the road tomorrow. Give my wife something to do besides tell me how to drive lol....
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #53

My Cedar Creek 5th wheel was prewired for a Back up camera. The dealer installed the Furion camera and wired it to the clearance lights in the back. The camera has power when I turn on the lights for the tow vehicle. I must say that the picture does loose a signal frequently going down the road. I found that if I suction cup the monitor up high next to the rear view mirror, the signal is improved but still occasionally goes out. I did buy the extension cable and remote antenna for the camera. I am planning on affixing the remote antenna to the front roof section of the 5th wheeler and connecting the antenna to the camera via the 35' extension cable to the remote antenna. I did not want to drill any holes so I plan on using the cable restraints with the sticky adhesive backing to the roof. A point to remember, the cable that I obtained for the extension antenna is designed I guess for the Voyager system. Make sure you get a adapter when you buy the setup so that you can connect to the fusion camera. I used RVCAMS.com but I am sure that there are many other options out there.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #54

Here is an update. I have a 36' Silverback that came with the Furrion camera installed. I was looking forward to using the rear view camera but I have found the Furrion to be useless on my FW. Right now we are three weeks out on a three month trip to Alaska and had a close call because there was a car up close to the back of the FW and in my blind spot. (long story) My DW wanted to know what happened to the rear view camera and I told her I couldn't get it to work. She said I should get something I could use. I had looked at the Voyager WVOS713 kit before we left home but i didn't get one. Now here we are in North Pole AK, just outside of Fairbanks. I called RV Cams RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All) and they told me they could send out the camera kit UPS second day, at what I think was a very good price. The camera came yesterday and with the help of the guy in the spot next to me (Ron from Ohio) and his latter I was able to change out the Furrion camera for the Voyager camera kit. The change out was not that hard and we had to make due with just the tools we had with us. The main thing is I now have a rear view camera that works. I'm getting a strong signal at the monitor and even thought I have not tried the camera out on the road I believe it will work just fine. P.S. The weather here is beautiful 70 degrees an sunny............. The sun comes up @ 4am
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #55
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Gene85222 How large a receiver screen does the new unit have ? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #56

aceinspp; I have the 7" monitor. And with the suction cup that came with the kit I think it will be OK.
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene85222 View Post
aceinspp; I have the 7" monitor. And with the suction cup that came with the kit I think it will be OK.

Furrion sent me a new camera and it works great. They make two cameras, one is good for 30ft and the other one for 100ft and I think that the 30ft model was put on most campers and if your camper is more than 30ft the camera will not work right. Anyway I was stationed in Alaska in 73 at Ft. Grelly, DW and I went to North Pole right much. We plan on taking the Cedar Creek back next year, it's a pretty place Alaska

Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #58

We installed Tadibrothers system with side cameras plus backup. Had same problem no good over 30 feet and all the metal. I run video feed forward and mounted transmitter in front. Mounted all three transmitters in closet and tied to running lights, works now. Not found a good wireless unit for over 30 feet yet
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #59

To quote Jackson Browne: "Someone's gonna have to explain it to me."

I can understand that a wireless camera might not talk well with the unit in the cab. What I don't understand is why backing up or moving down the road would make any difference. The distance between the two is the same and 65 mph is insignificant compared to the speed of light (radio waves).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
To quote Jackson Browne: "Someone's gonna have to explain it to me."

I can understand that a wireless camera might not talk well with the unit in the cab. What I don't understand is why backing up or moving down the road would make any difference. The distance between the two is the same and 65 mph is insignificant compared to the speed of light (radio waves).
It is not that you are going to out run the signal, the problem is the transmitter is not strong enough. Most units will do fine with line of sight or short distances. Most rigs are 32 to 40 feet plus TV also signal must penetrate the rig plus the TV both witch have metal making it hard for the low wattage transmitter to get the signal thru. So I moved my transmitters closer to the cab of TV by placing them at the front of the 5th wheel unit.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote