Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

rear view camera.

Hello again, Our 31RK Silverback has a mount where we can have a rear view camera installed. We talked to dealer and they have a voyager rear view camera. This mounts to the top back rear of 5th with a 7in screen mounted on our dash in truck.

Does anyone have this type of model camera mounted? if so, how do you like it? is it just a rear view camera? or can you use it when driving as to view what is happening behind us on the road.

thanks,

bill & jodi
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Stormy, you will be completely happy with the wireless Voyager system. On my previous 5th wheel I had a cheaper/no name wireless camera and most of the time it was nothing but static. When we ordered or new Columbus we ordered it with the Voyager camera and could not be happier. It is powered from the running lights so I always drive with these on to watch the rear. It also has audio so if you wish to listen to the DW while backing in a site. Just want to have the audio turned down while driving or you will pick up a lot of wind noise.
baysalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #3

great, thanks for info, did the dealer install it? or did you install it? wondered if it is hard to do.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

It was installed at the factory and the power for it comes from one of the clearance lights. Since its wireless that is all the wiring you need. The picture is rock solid. Go for it!
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysalr View Post
Stormy, you will be completely happy with the wireless Voyager system. On my previous 5th wheel I had a cheaper/no name wireless camera and most of the time it was nothing but static. When we ordered or new Columbus we ordered it with the Voyager camera and could not be happier. It is powered from the running lights so I always drive with these on to watch the rear. It also has audio so if you wish to listen to the DW while backing in a site. Just want to have the audio turned down while driving or you will pick up a lot of wind noise.
baysalr, can you tell me what model voyager camera system you have on your Columbus?

Thanks!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

It is a model waom562 with a 5" monitor witch is plenty large enough.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysalr View Post
I installed the Voyager system on our 38FL and I wouldn't leave home without it. Just have to remember to turn on your TV lights to get power to the 5th wheel clearance lights. Makes changing lanes ever so much easier too......you'll be amazed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 CC  (1).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	61260  
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #8

thanks, I wondered if it was easy enough to do own install.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
thanks, I wondered if it was easy enough to do own install.
All you need do is remove one of the clearance lights, pull out the existing wires, attach the two wires from the camera, stuff all the wires back into the hole, re-insert the clearance light and apply some sealer to waterproof the light again...... I would suggest turning on the system to make sure you have all the wiring correct, before reassembly (don't ask me how I know that) Easy-peasy
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #10

so I remove the middle light and use that for the camera, then that is light is disabled? does that cause any DOT problems? like headlights out on a truck? thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Stormy,you don't disconnect the power wires going to the light. Just piggy back your camera wires to the light wires. This will allow your light AND camera to work properly.
Good luck and enjoy your new camera
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #12

oh ok, great thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

Amongst the encyclopedia of paperwork the came with our 2014 Cedar Creek, I have just found a card that tells me that my rig has been pre-wired to accept the Voyager digital wireless observation system. I see there is a small white plug below the high level observation lights above the rear window but does anyone know if the connectors are already in place? Being as it says "pre-wired" on a wireless camera I can only assume that it would be as there are no other wires to connect.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 34 nights and 3875km.......so far

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Amongst the encyclopedia of paperwork the came with our 2014 Cedar Creek, I have just found a card that tells me that my rig has been pre-wired to accept the Voyager digital wireless observation system. I see there is a small white plug below the high level observation lights above the rear window but does anyone know if the connectors are already in place? Being as it says "pre-wired" on a wireless camera I can only assume that it would be as there are no other wires to connect.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras, and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to respond to your concerns regarding the Advent brand of RV air conditioners.

Your coach is pre-wired for use with our Voyager WVOS511 Wireless Observation system. This will allow easy installation as the camera will just need to be mounted to the coach and then connect to the pre-wired connection.

If you have any questions during your installation or afterwards, please feel free to call our Technical Services department at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #15

thanks also for information, I have been looking at different places for price compare on the voyager camera/mon system for my cedar creek Silverback 31RK.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #16

jensenrvdirect, the garmin gps is supposed to be compat with wireless rear view video camera. would that hold with the voyager system?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Jack of All Trades

I installed the Voyager WVOS713 on or TT, but took a little different approach to wiring it.

While we do normally run with the running light on, I wired the camera to a hot wire in the trailer, through a switch. All I have to do is remember to turn the switch on before pulling out.

We run with the camera on continuously. I set the camera so that the horizon is just barely visible at the top of the monitor. That way I can see an approaching vehicle from the rear, and, when passing, I can see when we have cleared the vehicle passed and have sufficient room to pull back into the lane. After installing the system, I finally felt confident in passing another vehicle as before I never could judge how much space was between the passed vehicle and us just using the mirrors. I now find myself using the monitor more than the mirrors.

The only complaint I have on the system is the power cord. It has, in addition to the power plug for the cigarette lighter cord, connected for the 2nd and 3rd camera, trigger connections, etc., which makes it very bulky. I wish there was just a simple power cord without all the other connections.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #18

Richard can you provide a picture of the plug or is it located within the rear cap behind the center light? I don't see a plug on our rig so just wondering if it is behind the light or actually mounted through the cap and so we just don't have it.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #19

Directly below the 'Y' there is a small white plug in a pre-drilled hole. It would appear this allows the power cables from the wireless camera to be fed up towards the high level running lights where I believe there are already connectors in place and ready to attach. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410389905.119834.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	62565

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 37 nights and 4375km.......so far

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #20

rear view camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSENRVDirect View Post
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras, and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to respond to your concerns regarding the Advent brand of RV air conditioners.

Your coach is pre-wired for use with our Voyager WVOS511 Wireless Observation system. This will allow easy installation as the camera will just need to be mounted to the coach and then connect to the pre-wired connection.

If you have any questions during your installation or afterwards, please feel free to call our Technical Services department at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT.

Thanks for the information about the Voyager camera and my rig being pre-wired to accept it. Just a little curious about what concerns you think I have regarding the Advent brand of air conditioner?

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 37 nights and 4375km.......so far

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW