Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #21

i don't know. if you never move one 12 volt battery is just fine. you could probably even operate without a battery as the converter would supply the 12 volt power. but having one battery is prob ably better as it will serve as source for peak loads. all you are trying to protect against is a power outage. it's the same problem any sticks and bricks homeowner has. we have a house and we loose power a few times a year yet we do not have any type of home generator. we talk about it but haven't done anything yet. and if we were to do then we have the same question you do, what size?
Old 07-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #22

We need non-stop refrigeration for temperature sensitive medicines. We would like to be warm at the same time(the battery now won't last 24 hours, even with the furnace turned down). I'd like to reduce reduce gen run time. I'm leaning toward 4 six volt lead-acid because of the cost & 50% discharge in warm weather (less in cold weather). Running the gen every 2nd or 3rd day would be a dream
Rubenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #23

Turn off the breaker labelled "inverter-reefer." If you have an inverter the fridge will continue running. That breaker will be the one supplying shore power to the reefer, the transfer switch will sense the loss of 120 volt and the inverter will begin to supply 120 volts to the reefer. With all the stuff you have, you should have an inverter.

Normally FR class A's with residential reefers have 4 12 volt house batteries.

In addition, even though you have a 55 amp converter I doubt that you will get anywhere near that for more than a half hour.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #24
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenova View Post
We need non-stop refrigeration for temperature sensitive medicines. We would like to be warm at the same time(the battery now won't last 24 hours, even with the furnace turned down). I'd like to reduce reduce gen run time. I'm leaning toward 4 six volt lead-acid because of the cost & 50% discharge in warm weather (less in cold weather). Running the gen every 2nd or 3rd day would be a dream
Have you considered getting a separate smaller 12V fridge that will use far less power to keep your medication cool? Far less drain on your batteries than your RV fridge would cause. Of course that would mean the loss of the use of your RV fridge for beer and bacon.

Just thinking outside the box.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #25

A small 12v fridge is brilliant! We used to have one for the car.

The breaker kills the fridge. I also pulled the shore power just now and climbed under the battery, no inverter just a junction box. The shore power experiment also killed the fridge.
The converter manual claims 4 hours bulk charge time (WFCO WF-9855).
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #26

i'll take your word that there is no inverter. but if you had one and it was not turned on you would get the same results. getting that build sheet might help determine if there is an inverter or not. still hard to believe that they installed a residential refrigerator and no inverter. but then again with only one battery that wouldn't last long if you did have an inverter.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #27

Isn't a Cottage for permanent sites? I was always under the impression you didn't travel with one except to get to permanent site. If that is true then why would they install an inverter except as a power outage backup. I can't imagine CC putting one in unless specifically requested as an option. That doesn't explain the breaker"inverter" label except that it may be just standard labeling they put on all boxes, it does appears be one standard sticker.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #28

Your ref is probley plug into a relay that is into the inverter. The inverter uses ac pluss dc..look in your battery compartment and follow the 12 wires and one will go to your inverter.also if you have a panel on top of ref. Or below ref. It could be in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
Isn't a Cottage for permanent sites? I was always under the impression you didn't travel with one except to get to permanent site. If that is true then why would they install an inverter except as a power outage backup. I can't imagine CC putting one in unless specifically requested as an option. That doesn't explain the breaker"inverter" label except that it may be just standard labeling they put on all boxes, it does appears be one standard sticker.
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
They are extra wide at 102 inches instead of the normal 96.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #30

It was described to be as something that would be set up at a "destination" and left there for the season. They can be moved, but would be a pain to pull it somewhere different every weekend. Heavy & the aerodynamics similar to a brick it would take a lot of fuel. They are really very comfortable. We like the 8 foot ceilings and super-slide outs.

Tags
refrigerator, inverter, fuse