Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
Replacement battery requirement

Just bought a 2013 Silverback 33RL.
The battery seems fine and reads 13.5 volts,
but is dated 10/17.


It currently has an
EverStart marine service battery, 24MS2.
1000 marine cranking amps and 135 hours


To be on the safe side I'm thinking about replacing it because of it's age
I'm wondering if this is the correct battery?
Or is another battery series a better choice?


I appreciate your input from your experience.



Thanks
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 28,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Just bought a 2013 Silverback 33RL.
The battery seems fine and reads 13.5 volts,
but is dated 10/17.


It currently has an
EverStart marine service battery, 24MS2.
1000 marine cranking amps and 135 hours


To be on the safe side I'm thinking about replacing it because of it's age
I'm wondering if this is the correct battery?
Or is another battery series a better choice?


I appreciate your input from your experience.



Thanks
If you always camp with electric hookups and never dry camp or boondock, then that battery is enough.
It's not a true deep cycle battery but is a compromise marine battery.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,578
As I remember this size is about 40 ah.

Like Biken dad said. A minimum.

It was installed to likely replace the rv dealer installed battery.

These are legally a necessity to allow the rv to be on the road. Designed for the emergency brake operation and minimal use for other things.

If you have any need to not plug into shore power every night then it is not enough. Modern rvís use a ton more power.

Kind of, What are you travel plans?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PopFla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Saint Cloud, Florida
Posts: 277
Exclamation

If the battery is reading 13.5 volts, you are apparently testing it while the charger is operating. The true test should be done with the charger turned off and after there has been no load for a while.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2018 Georgetown XL 377TS
2020 Jeep Gladiator "Toad"

CAMPING - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Florida
Posts: 40
I had a single 12v cat 27 battery that would power my wolf pup 16fq for about 30 hours before recharge while boondocking. Changed to 2 6v deep cycle wired in parallel to give me 12 v at 220ah. 5 days boondocking and still at 62%.
Mine are mounted on the tongue and you need to make sure the added weight doesn't over load the tongue weight of your tow vehicle.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 7,712
Don't forget: Just because a battery is 5 years old doesn't mean it is near end of life. It all depends on how well you took care of it. If you didn't deep discharge it often, and kept it topped off and watered it if required, it may last you several more years. If you mostly used shore power when traveling, it did not get abused like a car battery would, and you have not gone through extensive 'charge/discharge cycles'. Now if it was a car battery at 5 years old, I might proactively replace it so you don't get stranded somewhere, but this is not the case.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
sdelam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryneu View Post
I had a single 12v cat 27 battery that would power my wolf pup 16fq for about 30 hours before recharge while boondocking. Changed to 2 6v deep cycle wired in SERIES to give me 12 v at 220ah. 5 days boondocking and still at 62%.
Mine are mounted on the tongue and you need to make sure the added weight doesn't over load the tongue weight of your tow vehicle.
Fixed it
__________________
2020 GMC Denali 4X4 2500HD Duramax
2018 Work & Play 25WAB
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 217
I would replace it with a Group 27 battery. I don't think you have room for 6V batteries in that unit.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Florida
Posts: 40
Thanks...one of those old age BF'S
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Don't forget: Just because a battery is 5 years old doesn't mean it is near end of life. It all depends on how well you took care of it. If you didn't deep discharge it often, and kept it topped off and watered it if required, it may last you several more years. If you mostly used shore power when traveling, it did not get abused like a car battery would, and you have not gone through extensive 'charge/discharge cycles'. Now if it was a car battery at 5 years old, I might proactively replace it so you don't get stranded somewhere, but this is not the case.



Thanks,
I cant say for sure how the battery was maintained but the original owner always used full hookup campsites and really just used the camper a few weeks or so a year.
In storage It stayed plugged in to keep charged.


We will store the camper with electric hookup just a few miles from where we will take it to spend the winter.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
As I remember this size is about 40 ah.

Like Biken dad said. A minimum.

It was installed to likely replace the rv dealer installed battery.

These are legally a necessity to allow the rv to be on the road. Designed for the emergency brake operation and minimal use for other things.

If you have any need to not plug into shore power every night then it is not enough. Modern rvís use a ton more power.

Kind of, What are you travel plans?





Thanks,

We live in Arkansas and will store the camper in Alabama with electric hookup for converter charging just a few miles from where we will take it to spend the winter.
Probably only have 20 miles of road travel a year.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Loveland, OH
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Thanks,
I cant say for sure how the battery was maintained but the original owner always used full hookup campsites and really just used the camper a few weeks or so a year.
In storage It stayed plugged in to keep charged.


We will store the camper with electric hookup just a few miles from where we will take it to spend the winter.

Based on this, I wouldn't replace it yet. See how it does. If it is always charging, then you don't need it to do much.
__________________
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 CC SB
2021 Salem Heritage Glen 290RL
Andersen Ultimate
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 12
It still needs to be maintained properly, and if it wasn't - it could be anywhere from great to junk. I would have it load tested to make sure it can still handle the load before going too far with it.

Note that one critically-important use of the house batteries is to energize the trailer brakes in the event of a separation of the ambilocal cable.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, replacement

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.