Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

Residential Fridge on or off during tow

Background Story - Relatively new RV (just 14 months old) had the Insignia residential fridge go out. Apparently the compressor is dead. Getting it replaced thanks the EXCEPTIONAL service from Best Buy.

Been wondering why a 14 month old fridge went out and got to thinking....is travelling with the residential fridge running (on inverter) a good thing?

So that's the question of the day. Is running the RV Residential Fridge while in tow ok? I mean....hitting all those road bumps and such couldn't be be good for a compressor. Am I over thinking this? Should I just turn it off while in transit? Or maybe I got a lemon and I should carry on running the fridge while in tow.

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

Our 34IK is 14 months old also we also have the residential insignia frig, we run ours on every trip we do, just got back from a 1200 mile round trip. If I could not run our frig while in transit then why have a frig. So far we have had no problems with our frig maybe just a bad frig hopefully you get it fixed and it will be fine from.here on out but u should be able to run yours while traveling. Good luck!
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #3

Things just break for no reason at all.

I have a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek that we have owned for 5 years now. This has a residential fridge a Whirlpool with an inverter for use when we tow. The fridge and inverter have worked flawlessly for us. The only requirement is that the house battery must be fully charged the day we tow, otherwise the inverter will draw the battery down and shut off.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #4

Kinda off topic, but as a general rule do campers with residential fridges come with an inverter or is that something you had to add yourself?
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
Kinda off topic, but as a general rule do campers with residential fridges come with an inverter or is that something you had to add yourself?
Generally yes. RVs with residential fridges usually have inverters to power them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #6

Appreciate the responses.

We'll continue doing as we've been doing....running it while in tow....and chalk this up to just crappy luck.

But I will say this....on my next rig I will probably splurge the coins for the extended warranty. If this wasn't being handled by Best Buy and Camping World, I bet it would have set me back 2 to 3k.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

We have a 16 Cardinal that came with a Frigidaire and it lasted 3 years, we were glad it went out as it was a piece of junk, it took 3 days to make enough ice to fill a 8oz glass. Our dealer offers a lifetime warranty on all the appliances so we had them replace it with a LG and we love it, this one has two ice makers and it makes more ice in 24 hours than the Frigidaire could make in 2 weeks
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Generally yes. RVs with residential fridges usually have inverters to power them.
Thanks for the response.

OP, sorry I hijacked your post.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Global Nomad

We are full time in a 2016 Cedar Creek which came with a Whirlpool residential refrigerator. It has been running full time for 5 years, including on the road using the inverter. We have been up to the Arctic Circle and back. No problems in relation to powering for 5 years.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We got a 11.1 cu ft LG residential with our 2018 Wildcat. It has now failed; tripping the circuit breaker. It is within warranty but LG refuses to repair it because we DON'T HAVE A PURCHASE RECEIPT!! I tried to point out that Forest River purchased the unit to install in a new trailer. No avail. Thanks LG.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We got a 11.1 cu ft LG residential with our 2018 Wildcat. It has now failed; tripping the circuit breaker. It is within warranty but LG refuses to repair it because we DON'T HAVE A PURCHASE RECEIPT!! I tried to point out that Forest River purchased the unit to install in a new trailer. No avail. Thanks LG.
Good argument for getting an extended warranty when you buy your RV.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Good argument for getting an extended warranty when you buy your RV.
Why would you purchase an extended warranty on something that already has a warranty.

Besides, many extended warranties will not even cover a repir if the appliance falls within the manufacturer warranty.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #13

W

If you are kind of old you remember dadís beer refrigerator in the basement. An old, 30 years old GE.

In the old days the compressor took two to lift. Standard soldered Joints with silver solder, copper pipes. Hand made coils etc.

Now the fridge components are little and plastic. Pipe is thin. No more hand soldered joints.

Fridge salesmen warn you if you ask, that expected life of these ones made for residential installation will last 5 years or so. High first year failure rate. Disposable.

The old type fridges are available starting at $8000. Sub Zero.

So one should expect a higher failure rate in rvís. Not generally designed to travel.

Traveling on or off should not make a difference. Except they eat batteries.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
We have a 16 Cardinal that came with a Frigidaire and it lasted 3 years, we were glad it went out as it was a piece of junk, it took 3 days to make enough ice to fill a 8oz glass. Our dealer offers a lifetime warranty on all the appliances so we had them replace it with a LG and we love it, this one has two ice makers and it makes more ice in 24 hours than the Frigidaire could make in 2 weeks
Could you share the exact model you replaced it with? We have the same one and youíre spot on about the ice maker. Unfortunately, ours is still working great.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Background Story - Relatively new RV (just 14 months old) had the Insignia residential fridge go out. Apparently the compressor is dead. Getting it replaced thanks the EXCEPTIONAL service from Best Buy.

Been wondering why a 14 month old fridge went out and got to thinking....is travelling with the residential fridge running (on inverter) a good thing?

So that's the question of the day. Is running the RV Residential Fridge while in tow ok? I mean....hitting all those road bumps and such couldn't be be good for a compressor. Am I over thinking this? Should I just turn it off while in transit? Or maybe I got a lemon and I should carry on running the fridge while in tow.

Thoughts?
UPDATE: The new fridge from Best Buy arrived and I brought the RV to the dealership this morning. Appears they are going to have to remove a set of windows to get the old one out and new one in. 4 to 6 hours of labor is anticipated which I assume is $400 to $600.

Fortunately Best Buy is covering the fridge itself.

Tags
fridge