Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Roof membrane issue

Awhile back, say mid August, I posted about the roof membrane tearing and peeling back about 4 feet from the leading edge. My insurance adjuster said that it was a manufacturer defect, and explained that enough adhesive wasn't used when they installed the roof, and wind got underneath and caused it to balloon and then tear. later in a week or so, my insurance said they would not cover it under my comprehensive claim due to the defect.
Someone on this forum suggested I reach out to the dealer where I purchased it.. I did that, they asked me to provide extensive photos and said they would reach out to Forest River to see if they would assist me with a fix. After numerous calls to dealer, leaving messages and a couple of e-mails to the dealer, I never got a response back from them. So, I then sent an e-mail to Cedar Creek and Forest River directly, and I never heard back from them either....My rig is a 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 331K which I bought new. For the money I spent, I thought the quality of workmanship and the lack of a response from anyone for some sort of fix, seriously disappointed me with the whole RV idea! Probably will sell my RV and discourage anyone getting into RVing if asked about my thoughts about the activity of camping..
Bob854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about the lack of support by your dealer and response from Forest River. We had and issue with our 2019 Silverback 15 months after purchase (hence outside of warranty) and I sent a letter to Forest River asking them to consider a goodwill gesture to cover the labor for the repair. Which to my surprise, they did and made me a super happy customer/camper.

Maybe a certified letter to Forest River including pics, notes from insurance adjuster, etc would get you some traction. Use honey instead of threats like lawyers, telling people not to buy their product, etc.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Retired Army MSG!

I have a pretty significant issue with my 2021 unit which is still under warranty. I noticed the issue late August and immediately emailed Forest River. I had a response within 24 hours assuring me not to worry that I would be taken care of. Probably could have had the issue already resolved but I held off on the repair until after a planned November trip. Part is on order and have appointment to take into dealer first week of January. Hope you get your roof issue resolved to your satisfaction and keep on enjoying the RV experience.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #4

Lets be honest an insurance adjuster is not on your side and I very much doubt an expert on RV roof application. The dealer, FR and the ins company seem to be falling down on the job. You know the squeaky wheel gets the grease don't give up. Blaming RVing or camping and discouraging others is baloney you had/have a problem I feel for ya with that said cowboy up there is allot of great camping and adventures out there. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #5

I try to discourage everyone from camping, it's way too crowded out there!
[emoji38]
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Good one! LOL
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
I try to discourage everyone from camping, it's way too crowded out there!
[emoji38]
I agree with you! But don't worry....this crowding will soon pass. So many bought campers during covid and now I'm seeing many that are just sitting idle. We have a couple neighbors where they didn't even take there rigs out in 2021. Seeing that there is work involved in camping and it's NOT cheap like some people claim.

Keep up the discouragement though!
Old 12-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob854 View Post
Awhile back, say mid August, I posted about the roof membrane tearing and peeling back about 4 feet from the leading edge. My insurance adjuster said that it was a manufacturer defect, and explained that enough adhesive wasn't used when they installed the roof, and wind got underneath and caused it to balloon and then tear. later in a week or so, my insurance said they would not cover it under my comprehensive claim due to the defect.
Someone on this forum suggested I reach out to the dealer where I purchased it.. I did that, they asked me to provide extensive photos and said they would reach out to Forest River to see if they would assist me with a fix. After numerous calls to dealer, leaving messages and a couple of e-mails to the dealer, I never got a response back from them. So, I then sent an e-mail to Cedar Creek and Forest River directly, and I never heard back from them either....My rig is a 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 331K which I bought new. For the money I spent, I thought the quality of workmanship and the lack of a response from anyone for some sort of fix, seriously disappointed me with the whole RV idea! Probably will sell my RV and discourage anyone getting into RVing if asked about my thoughts about the activity of camping..
I'm happy that you wrote this e.g. getting out of RV'ing. The manufacturers and dealers are throwing garbage out there for the most part and they need to hear what your saying.

I could fill up 4 pages of my units problems and the circus trying to get it fixed. The new roof still leaks and that is after 4 months waiting to get it fixed.

If you send me a personal message I can give you contacts at Customer Service. They are good folks stuck in a garbage industry.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof