Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Roof Racks on a 36RE...???

OK

So. Putting the cart before the horse. The wife and I are selling our motorcycle due to health issues and in looking to keep moving and something we can do together we decided to buy a couple or Rec. Kayaks. One is 10ft and other is 12ft. So here is the problem.

How do I take these with us when we travel..?

I have seen the single roof rack on the truck and then something off the front bumper to support the kayaks over the roof/hood. Only issue i can see would be visibility and looking at street lights/signs.

I thought of having something made for the back of unit but the 12ft'er would hang to low or stand too tall for my comfort.

So, would one be wise to try and add roof racks to the top of our unit..??? That means making holes in the roof and membrane which is just one more place to leak in the future. Can the roof support the weight..( kayaks are 47lbs each )..? If mounted to the roof where would you attach them to...and tie...?

Other ideas..? I did not like the idea of tossing them inside and having to take them out every time you stop or need to get in. I thought maybe an angle mount of the back of the 5er..?

Someone must have a smarter idea...? Help..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #2

Couple of things to consider besides the added holes on roof,
1. How easy is it going to be to get them up & down off the roof?
2. Will the added height be an issue with gas station canopies, overpasses, and low tree limbs in campgrounds?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

I thought about the height issue and was thinking to lay them aside the rear A/C unit. The height of the kayak is lower than the A/C so that would be fine.

As for getting them up and down i was leaning to some kind of electric winch to raise and lower a rack. If you do a youtube search for electric boat rack there are several out there. I know it would be a custom job. My other thought was to hang them from the rear of the 5er on a kayak rack (vertical) and down to the frame at the rear. I would have to mount them on an angle as one boat is 12ft long and the other is 10ft. I can't go 90' straight up as the height would be an issue, hence the angle theory. I was hoping someone would have a smarter idea. I would rather not put holes in the roof.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

your unit is a 5th wheel get a hitch installed and use a small trailer. It would be light and easy to use. I have also seen them mounted to the side walls of units before on the highway.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I carry a 11 1/2' kayak instead the camper on it's edge in front of the sofa/table. It's strapped around the sofa and the table pedestal and sits on the edge of the slideroom. With your camper and it's opposing slides, you probably don't have much room between them.

Dave

Edit: Have to clean it up before bringing it inside...I lay towels down on the floor and in front of the sofa to keep things clean.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaxle View Post
your unit is a 5th wheel get a hitch installed and use a small trailer. It would be light and easy to use. I have also seen them mounted to the side walls of units before on the highway.
pulling a trailer behind your 5er is illegal in a lot of states... Just an FYI.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #7

I wish I could pull it behind my 5er but it is illegal in my province. I thought of registering my unit in the province of Alberta where you can tandem-tandem tow....long story short, too much hassle. I know this to be the same in a lot of the states as well.

As for bringing the kayak inside, that's not an option. First off the slide almost touches the kitchen "L" counter. The second problem is that I have 2 kayaks, the second would be on top and be about the same height as the taps, windows, counter, etc....not liking that idea if it was to come loose.

Thanks for the ideas and the help..!

Tags
roo, roof