Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Smile Rough Riding Cedar Creek Champaign

Hello, this is my first post. We have a 2018 Cedar Creek Champaign that rides rough. We have broken several glasses and always have to be careful when first opening the refrigerator once we arrive at our destination. I am considering purchasing a Lippert Center Point tandem axle equalizer. Does anyone have this system and if so does it work as promised and will it smooth out our ride?
Old 07-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

We've got a 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 5th wheel and I feel your pain. Seems every time we go out, something breaks. We've replaced all the little plastic curtain hanger thingies (some of them twice already). We now just let the curtains hang with no plastic clips. Last trip, our tv fell off the wall and broke. Several folks on this forum have suggested Mooryde independent suspension for the trailer, but at $6000+, it's kind of out of our range right now. I'm going to replace the standard pin box on the trailer with a Trailair pin box and hope that helps some. Interested in what others have to say about this suspension system as it looks kind of interesting.

Good luck with your trailer.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Sorry for the cost, but go get the MorRyde Independent Suspension. That solved my problem. It is literally amazing. I tried shocks on trailer, they did nothing.

I didn't pay $6,000...........not for just the I.S. It might approach that if you add disc brakes, which I added earlier than the I.S. I recommend both.

I never heard of the system mentioned, no idea on it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

Hi,

Been running fivers for many years (including my 2014 Silverback 33RL for four years now) with standard hitch boxes and suspensions -- up and down tens of thousands of miles of poorly maintained interstates and local roads.

We found the key is how things are arranged in the refer and cabinets. Yes, we occasionally have a catchup bottle fall to the floor when we open the refer. Yup, we have had dishes rearrange themselves on a shelf. But for the most part, these have been minor episodes that are few and far between.

I concluded many years ago that trailering unavoidably led to some of this, but that most of it can be prevented. However, I also concede that others may have a lower tolerance for it than me...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Update. I just looked that up. I dunno, $1,800 for some air shock things for your existing spring system, or $3,000 to completely replace it with independent suspension?

Champagne is over $100,000 retail........

I.S. should absolutely be required on any heavy trailer. Sad that it's not. DRV has it as standard.

Nothing in our trailer moves much. Stuff on top of the cabinet stays in place. Go over railroad tracks, I never hear the trailer go bump/bump....which I used to.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There are no shocks on a CC Champagne? What tires are you running? Sailun on my second Heartland. I have a Landmark Louisville now with larger brakes, H Seriesn 125 psi tires, MORryde SRE300 suspension and shocks. Nothing breaks, or falls out of cupboards. My Bighorn had G tires and MORryde SRE 300 as well with shocks all bent smaller brakes. Never broke anything either.

Seems odd that on a top of line trailer you have to put new suspension on it so it rides down the road. I have also heard of fridges falling out in the Hathaway as well.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Many thanks to all of you who responded. I just put a set of Firestone H rated tires. No help there. I am going to look into the Moryde IS system. Once I do will let you all know the direction I chose. Leaning towards the IS at this point.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

We have a 2005 Cardinal 5th wheel with Center Point suspension and Trail air pin box. Have never found anything broken. An open drawer at times.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #9

I've always thought it just depended on the trailer and things like length from kingpin to axles and weight vs category of springs/axles.
Our previous trailer was the same length but a little lighter, and things were always rearranging themselves, cabinets doors opening, etc. Our current trailer, same air ride hitch, same standard suspension, nothing moves. We just drove from Las Cruces NM to Tucson, AZ on I10 with a coffee cup (empty) sitting on the table on a place mat. Never moved. Of course the table is in the middle of the RV, over the axles. If the cup had been on a cabinet in the very rear of the RV, I would of expected to find the cup on the floor.
Will a new air hitch and suspension help? Of course, but you have to decide if the cost is worth it to you.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

In the 10 years we had our CC Silverback, I can count on one hand the number of time something fell...we hang a lot of pictures up on the side walls....never had any dishes fall out....once in a while the refer had a few things move around.

On our 2019 Hathaway, we just came back from a 4000 mile trip. We traveled on some pretty bad roads....to the point I slowed down to 40 MPH......we had one picture fall onto the slide out. (we always count pictures before putting out our slide outs...pics held up with 3M Velcro strips...and extreme heat effects them.) No dishes moved, and things in the refer remained in place.

In BOTH rigs we had the Trail Aire pinbox.

I am considering the Morryde IS for this rig because we hope to get many more years out of it.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
We have a 2005 Cardinal 5th wheel with Center Point suspension and Trail air pin box. Have never found anything broken. An open drawer at times.
Thanks. That Center Point suspension looks interesting. I'm going to do some checking on it....

Old 07-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #12

Hi,

My last big fiver had a rear kitchen. Now that I think about it, stuff in the refer (which was on the rear wall) did seem a little more vulnerable to disorder because of the "flip" of the rear end.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

I am into year two using Moride SRE 4000 between the axles. 5er is around 13 - 14 k weight and this part is a quick install that keeps the 5er smooth. I think the axle area has more to do with your issue than the hitches with suspension. This kit is not inexpensive but is alot less than independent suspension.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
I am into year two using Moride SRE 4000 between the axles. 5er is around 13 - 14 k weight and this part is a quick install that keeps the 5er smooth. I think the axle area has more to do with your issue than the hitches with suspension. This kit is not inexpensive but is alot less than independent suspension.
I have the SRE 4000 between the axels on my Montana as well. No drawers open, nothing falls, no fancy pin box. The 4000 and Sailun G tires at 110 cold were standard. Weight to tow 16,200 and about 8000 miles.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #15

Suspension

After alot of investigation suspensions are very important to keep your rig for along time. Look at these items that will help get you there.
Dexter 8000 lbs axles, or 8000 lbs axles with torsion bars. I have the cardinal estate, with mor ryde 4000, 8000 lbs axles. I have no problems. My buddy just install the comfort ryde system. See this on etrailer. He installed the 8000 lb kit on 7000 lb axles. You can see the system reviewed @ rvproducts on you tube.
Hope this helps
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #16

Getting my new Sailun tires installed today and thought I would take a picture of the suspension I refered to a couple of posts ago. The kit also comes with a cross brace for between the spring hangers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_091313.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	211141

Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Getting my new Sailun tires installed today and thought I would take a picture of the suspension I refered to a couple of posts ago. The kit also comes with a cross brace for between the spring hangers.
Attachment 211141
Thanks for sharing. Question - did you do the install yourself? They look pretty easy to install.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We've got a 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 5th wheel and I feel your pain. Seems every time we go out, something breaks. We've replaced all the little plastic curtain hanger thingies (some of them twice already). We now just let the curtains hang with no plastic clips. Last trip, our tv fell off the wall and broke. Several folks on this forum have suggested Mooryde independent suspension for the trailer, but at $6000+, it's kind of out of our range right now. I'm going to replace the standard pin box on the trailer with a Trailair pin box and hope that helps some. Interested in what others have to say about this suspension system as it looks kind of interesting.

Good luck with your trailer.
Gsykora, Just curios as to what type suspension you now have. We have a 2016 33IK Silverback with the EZ-Flex HD Rubber Suspension System by Dexter. Do you have that? We have put 15000+ on out RV without any issues with flying objects. If you don’t have that and are looking to upgrade then I would suggest you go with the Morryde unit. Some of the reviews I’ve read say they are comparable but the Morryde is easier to maintenance than the Dexter.

Ours has functioned well enough for us so I will probably just replace them with Dexters (<$) when they are worn out, probably before our next long trip just to be safe.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Gsykora, Just curios as to what type suspension you now have. We have a 2016 33IK Silverback with the EZ-Flex HD Rubber Suspension System by Dexter. Do you have that? We have put 15000+ on out RV without any issues with flying objects. If you don’t have that and are looking to upgrade then I would suggest you go with the Morryde unit. Some of the reviews I’ve read say they are comparable but the Morryde is easier to maintenance than the Dexter.

Ours has functioned well enough for us so I will probably just replace them with Dexters (<$) when they are worn out, probably before our next long trip just to be safe.
Good question, and surprisingly, I'm not sure what suspension is under there right now. I'll have to look the next time I swing by the storage lot.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks for sharing. Question - did you do the install yourself? They look pretty easy to install.
I did the install. The manufacturer did have the Lippert unit installed when I picked it up but I wanted the Moride part. Install did take the better part of a day. I had a friend helping. Make sure you install the wet bolts while you have it apart.

Tags
cedar creek