Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Satellite Connection in Wet Bay

Just got started with Dish TV and Wally receiver and Tailgater. Dish had me hook the Tailgater cable directly to the Wally to get started and get the setup correct. All worked fine. Dish folks said hook the cable to the satellite connection To the trailer and it should work. Followed their directions. Swapped the TV antenna cable to the satellite connection behind the TV as the dealer told me to do once we got satellite. Dish now says signal is too weak or being interfered with by bad weather or an obstruction. Reconnected the cable directly from the tailgater to the Wally and it works fine. Is it possible that the cable running from the wet bay to behind the TV is bad or somehow not even connected? Thoughts on what may be causing the lack of signal strength and what to do about it?

Dave & Anita
Boise, ID
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.6 Duramax
2021 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

If the wet bay connection is a dedicated satellite antenna port you need to connect the Wally to the other end. If the wet bay connection is a park cable port you need to connect the park cable other end to your Wally. Hopefully there are no splitters between your sat antenna and the Wally connection.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

Reply to bubbles

I agree with what you have said and I did all of that. The tailgater gets itís power from the cable. When I hook up thru the wet bay connection there is no power going to the tailgater. Wondering if the pre-wired cable in the trailer is of poor enough quality that it will not transfer the power to the tailgater or there is some magic switch that I am missing?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
I agree with what you have said and I did all of that. The tailgater gets itís power from the cable. When I hook up thru the wet bay connection there is no power going to the tailgater. Wondering if the pre-wired cable in the trailer is of poor enough quality that it will not transfer the power to the tailgater or there is some magic switch that I am missing?

No the cable is RG6 and is fine, I use both the wet bay and roof top cables in my rig and they work flawlessly with the Wally receiver. My guess is you have a reversed cable in the wet bay or it fell off the connector. Pull the plate in the wet bay and check to see if it is connected and it should be a Grey cable that goes to the connector in your wall plate behind your TV.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

Reply to Daycruiser

Thank you very much. The wet bay revealed that the satellite connector was just as you said, a grey wire. The satellite connector behind the TV was bright purple. This color of cable was not found in the wet bay. Interesting? The grey wire from the wet bay was connected to the connector right above the bottom connector which is the on air TV connector. Your insight helped me getting this Wally and tailgater working properly. I included a photo from the wall to show which connector I used to make it work. The middle connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3929DB74-FAE6-4B48-9B15-C0BAB98A4556.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	232836  
Old 07-01-2020, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you very much. The wet bay revealed that the satellite connector was just as you said, a grey wire. The satellite connector behind the TV was bright purple. This color of cable was not found in the wet bay. Interesting? The grey wire from the wet bay was connected to the connector right above the bottom connector which is the on air TV connector. Your insight helped me getting this Wally and tailgater working properly. I included a photo from the wall to show which connector I used to make it work. The middle connector.

Glad you got it going, the Purple cable is the Roof Top Sat Cable. If you ever decide to put a dish on the roof you will find that cable underneath a sticker that says "Sat Cable" or something like that. That cable is a loop at the roof, you would need to pull it up out of the roof and cut it in two and put connectors on it. One leg goes to the Living Room that you saw and the other to the Bedroom. Just for future reference. Have Fun.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
wls

Quote:
so did you hook the wally to the port that says, I believe (auxsat)?
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2

2016 Camping Days=38
2017 Camping Days=24
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Reply to WLS

Yes. It says aux/sat.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

The cable connectors in the camper can be bad. I had the same problem and took it back to the dealer. On mine copper wire in the center of the cable checked good but the shielding connection was not good. They are going to have to dig in and find the bad connector.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #10

Reply to Cedar Creek

Thank you. Good to know. At the moment everything is working fine once I connected the Wally to the middle connector (aux/sat) instead of the connector labeled Satellite Dish Hookup.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

I'm glad you got it working. MY Cardinal had the sat and cable connectors reversed. It took a while to figure that out. Also, a tech at an FR dealership told me not to be surprised if wires (power, cable, audio etc.) seem to be one color at one end and another color at the other end. Don't know if its true, but he said they'll use whatever wires they have on hand. The theory in making these RVs is apparently waste not, want not.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite