Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Set your expectations low if you buy out of state...

We purchased our 2020.5 37mbh from RV Nation back in January 2020...we had it built. Long story short, we’ve had a few warranty issues that we’ve needed addressed...the biggest being that the wrong size ac unit was installed on the front of our trailer (13.5 vs 15k). We live in Richmond va, so it’s not convenient for us to just run to our dealership in Ohio, so we’ve had to try to deal with local dealerships. Both FR dealerships here have flat told us that FR doesn’t pay them enough for warranty work to justify them doing work for us unless we had bought unit from them. Basically, they didn’t have a chance to rip us off on the front end to justify doing the warranty work on the back end. Southern RV and Hayden’s RV if you want to know the dealerships in question. So we’ve had to deal directly with Cedar Creek. I will say, I had very low expectations of the RV industry going in to this just from experiences over the years with other family members and internet stories and I will say that Cedar Creek has failed to even meet those expectations. They are INCREDIBLY slow to respond to emails/vm’s...I’m talking WEEKS to answer. They approved to send me an upgraded ac unit at no cost after weeks of daily calls and emails. That was 3-4 weeks ago. I decided to pay the difference and go with a heat pump this time. They are telling me that they do not cedar creek uses the Blizzard heat pumps from the factory, so that’s what they’re sending me. They (Melissa Vogt) didn’t sound too sure on that at the time of purchase, so she said she would check to be 100% sure and get back to me, as I want the penguin 2 to match my other unit. Well, that was two week ago and probably 3-4 emails ago and she has yet to return email or call to let me know what she has found out. There is much more to this story...none of it a good reflection on Cedar Creek or RV Nation, but you get the idea...set your expectations low if you buy out of state and cannot afford to run back and forth to your selling desert ship. It’s an infuriatingly slow process to get anything done, much less to just get them to even respond to any type of communication.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #2

With a 130 to 160% increase in sales in 2020 alone, do you really think they care ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #3

Do you have a question or just venting?

Sounds like they are trying to help. With all the supply shortages, and "Covid Campers" buying campers. They are probably slammed. Our dealer only has about five campers on his lot. No used ones. I can just imagine how busy the factories are.

Not trying to start a debate but Forest River recommends that you buy local. Try for a mobile repair service recommended by Forest River.

Not trying to defend them but even are local car dealers are nearly out of new cars due to COVID.

Good Luck !!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Based on my experiences, I think Forest River generally does care. As with any company of that size, there will be contentious issues between the company and customers from time to time.

I recommend being cautious (not having low expectations) wherever someone buys an RV. It is an expensive proposition—and there will be problems.

Folks might want to resolve the issue of where to get warranty work done before buying at a distance.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver1973 View Post
I will say, I had very low expectations of the RV industry going in to this just from experiences over the years with other family members and internet stories
With all of these experiences, surely you learned that it is always best to buy local so you would have a dealer close by to take care of any warranty work.

I wouldn’t enjoy being in your position — the same position of so many people who bought their RV the same way you did. I paid a couple thousand dollars more to buy my current RV at a local dealer so I wouldn’t have to worry about the kinds of things you are talking about. If I ever have a problem, all I have to do is make a phone call to my local dealer. I don’t even have to take my RV to their shop since they are so local — they come to me.

Bruce
Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #6

We're on our 6th camper all purchased from local dealers. I like the peace on mind if/when I need service they'll take care of me.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Lets go camping!

so you spec'd the RV to have the 15K up front when you had it built?

seems like it would be easier to try and get FR to refund the cost difference you paid for the upgrade and just use the 13K a/c.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
With all of these experiences, surely you learned that it is always best to buy local so you would have a dealer close by to take care of any warranty work.

Bruce
I disagree. We saved thousands by picking the dealer. Fortunately, they turned out to be relatively local. I still would NEVER use them for warranty work!!!

We are out of warranty, and will use Lewis RV (rather than Couch RV) for any service.

Rather than restricting to buying local and potentially wasting thousands, as I mentioned earlier, research local (or relatively local) options for service and warranty work. When (if) local service is found, buy from whatever distance is within comfort level.

Don’t just buy local automatically. Think it through.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #9

We buy from whatever dealer gives us the best price on the unit we want. We don't care where they are. We traveled 14 hours one way to purchase our current unit. And once we buy, we will never see that dealer again.
"What about warranty work?", you ask. We always use pre-approved independent service only shops or mobile. Have done this all over the country, never had a problem.
We will NEVER go to any dealer for warranty work unless there is just no other choice in the area.
So the 'buy local for warranty work' theory is just not solid. Using independent RV service is faster, better quality, and cheaper for things not covered by warranty.
And what are you going to do when your RV needs repair when you are away from home and can't get it back w/o repair?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I disagree. We saved thousands by picking the dealer. Fortunately, they turned out to be relatively local. I still would NEVER use them for warranty work!!!

We are out of warranty, and will use Lewis RV (rather than Couch RV) for any service.

Rather than restricting to buying local and potentially wasting thousands, as I mentioned earlier, research local (or relatively local) options for service and warranty work. When (if) local service is found, buy from whatever distance is within comfort level.

I would tend to disagree on your statement. I like nomad have always bought local for peace of mine and also always got great deals. When I bought my last camper I looked out of state and changed my mind after rethinking the issues one would have with warranty work locally. Plus add in the expense of traveling to pick a unit up. not work the time and effort involved. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

I'm glad we didn't buy local we only traveled 235 miles to another dealer that had much better pricing.....I did need some minor warranty work done after taking delivery and our local dealer said sure they could do it but it may take awhile which I was fine with...The service dept was horrible so it would have been a double whammy buying local and paying more and still getting lousy service.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Do you have a question or just venting?

Sounds like they are trying to help. With all the supply shortages, and "Covid Campers" buying campers. They are probably slammed. Our dealer only has about five campers on his lot. No used ones. I can just imagine how busy the factories are.

Not trying to start a debate but Forest River recommends that you buy local. Try for a mobile repair service recommended by Forest River.

Not trying to defend them but even are local car dealers are nearly out of new cars due to COVID.

Good Luck !!!!

I was actually venting in hopes of helping people who are making the decision on whether to buy local vs at distance. If saving a couple thousand at distance, I would probably recommend going local. We saved over $6k by going distance and would probably do it again, but as I stated...set your expectations very low in order not to be as frustrated as I have been with delays. There is literally no excuse to take 16 days to return a call just to verify my shipping address. That’s no lie...16 days of me sending almost daily emails reminding them to call me (progressively more and more direct) for them to make a 2 min call. I’m actually looking forward to getting out of warranty so we can take advantage of our extended service where local dealers are more apt to work with us.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
I was actually venting in hopes of helping people who are making the decision on whether to buy local vs at distance. If saving a couple thousand at distance, I would probably recommend going local. We saved over $6k by going distance and would probably do it again, but as I stated...set your expectations very low in order not to be as frustrated as I have been with delays. There is literally no excuse to take 16 days to return a call just to verify my shipping address. That’s no lie...16 days of me sending almost daily emails reminding them to call me (progressively more and more direct) for them to make a 2 min call. I’m actually looking forward to getting out of warranty so we can take advantage of our extended service where local dealers are more apt to work with us.
Again, you do not have to use dealers for any repair work, warranty or extended after market warranty. As soon as you realize this, you will be much happier. We were!
When we needed warranty work, we would get advice from the locals in the area and/or Google independent RV service shops. Then call them and verify they can do warranty work and ask the pertinent questions. Then they would get pre-authorization for warranty from FR and do the work. Usually the shop would be directly reimbursed, but once we had to pay up front and Fr reimbursed us.
So instead of having your unit at a dealer for weeks/months and usually get shoddy work, you can go independent and get quality work in hours/days. Your choice.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #14

Set your expectations low if you buy out of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Again, you do not have to use dealers for any repair work, warranty or extended after market warranty. As soon as you realize this, you will be much happier. We were!
When we needed warranty work, we would get advice from the locals in the area and/or Google independent RV service shops. Then call them and verify they can do warranty work and ask the pertinent questions. Then they would get pre-authorization for warranty from FR and do the work. Usually the shop would be directly reimbursed, but once we had to pay up front and Fr reimbursed us.
So instead of having your unit at a dealer for weeks/months and usually get shoddy work, you can go independent and get quality work in hours/days. Your choice.

Awesome...will look in to that. Much appreciated! We’ve decided for this go around before manufactures warranty runs out, I’m just going to haul it out to see Orvan and get everything set up the way it should have been done from the factory. After this visit, I will take your advice in order to lessen my frustration...haha
Old 09-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Awesome...will look in to that. Much appreciated! We’ve decided for this go around before manufactures warranty runs out, I’m just going to haul it out to see Orvin and get everything set up the way it should have been done from the factory. After this visit, I will take your advice in order to lessen my frustration...haha
Great plan. I just wish Orvan was closer to us, or could clone himself! Good luck and Happy RVing!
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Great plan. I just wish Orvan was closer to us, or could clone himself! Good luck and Happy RVing!

He’s not really close to us either...about 750 miles, but figure it’s worth it for the initial fixes/check up. Thx again
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #17

I purchased out of state and my friend purchased at a local dealer.
All items found in my PDI were resolved in 24 hours.
All items in my friends PDI took 3 weeks.
My friends items were no 100% completed so he had to return the RV and wait 4 months, when returned the flooring had new damage. This went on until he traded in the RV at another dealer.
Authorized private repair shops are the key. Plus most of them come to your location and the work is done in 1-2 days.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #18

We also bought from RV Wholesalers in Ohio.
Have had 1 warranty problem - AC unit died- went with independent repair shop - repair done at our house 3 days later when the new unit arrived.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #19

We bought our 37MBH out of state and had no issues whatsoever getting warranty work performed by our local Camping World. Yes....I said Camping World! They treated me as if I purchased if from them. Did the work timely and quality work too. So I don't subscribe to buying local provides any greater advantage when it comes to warranty or even non-warranty work. The bottom line is....find a repair shop that you feel does good work and start/maintain a good relationship with them. Even when things aren't going your way, remaining calm/positive with them is key. Honey over vinegar.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #20
BMullins46

X2 what JD 4010 said. We bought out of state because my local dealer didn't have the model we wanted. We had been doing business with the local dealer for over 30 years, I talked to them and they said they would work on our new unit. They treated me just like they had done over the years. 4 years ago Camping World bought out my local dealer and the dealer across the street and combined the dealerships. The employees from my local dealer were all given jobs and when I needed service I got the same treatment I had always gotten. I think that the way you get treated by the RV dealer may well depend on the part of the country ypu live in.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote