Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #1

Shackle bolts

Does anyone know the shackle bolt size on a 36ckts? I’m on the road and have the second one missing in 3 years. Thinking of going to the dry type and not the wet.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

Sorry I can't help you but you should be able to google the manufacture of the wet bolt system to find the size.

I do have a question for you. How often do you grease your bolts?

I have had the wet bolt system on my trailer since new, bought new in May of 2015. This unit has over 20,000 miles on my trailer and I have never lost a bolt. They do get greased every 4,000 to 5,000 miles and inspected every time we pull the trailer.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

All shackle strap bolts are 9/16" diameter and either 3 & 1/4" long (dry bolts) or 3 & 3/4" long for the wet bolts (not including the grease fitting). If you are losing shackle bolts then install some thread lock and torque to 40 ft lbs making sure not to collapse the hanger onto the spring. I've put 20,000 miles on 6k axles with no shackle bolt issues using this method. Etrailer.com is a great source for parts.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Do you think you are breaking them or do you think the nut works loose causing the bolt to work out? Is there anything left of the bronze bushings in each spring eye? Even with greasing them once in the Spring and once near end of Summer, you'd be surprised how much they'll wear in your 4 years of ownership. I'm thinking like above … Loctite and torque them up. Always tighten the nut … the heads are serrated and should be pressed or drawn into the shackle strap. Wet bolts are way better than the wimpy plastic bushings that come standard on many units. I don't see anything gained going to dry bolts.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

Hopefully, you use a torque wrench putting them on.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolts