Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Papi

Should I be upset or Just suck it up?

Went to near by RV show a couple weeks ago and bought a new 36CKTS. It is not the pearl; it's white with LOWER body paint. Many other options that we will love and was a "Cadillac" for us...only missing the bike hitch we had on our list and I suppose the upgraded king pin assy would have been better (?)...otherwise quite a buy!
Dealer never mentioned anything about the Pearl edition (don't know if we would have bought it anyway - white is nice) and never mentioned anything about the second year warranty for $150. I know "good" salesmanship suggests not to cloud the issues but he knew we were going to buy anyway I'm sure.
Should I hold out for the second year to be thrown in...a little late, or just buy it myself. The pearl thing is not really critical because from recent threads it would appear we have a late manufacture 2013 (curved ceiling, batt disconnect, filter, etc). Understand we went to show to buy a RV...didn't know which one. This one just kind of was calling my name (or was it my bank's name?). Delivery (pickup) scheduled in a couple weeks.Tell me to shut up or insist on a warranty. Opinions?...
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think you can 'dream on' to ever get the dealer to throw in the Forest River 2nd year warranty. They always have their own extended warranty that they try to sell you.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd push hard for the FR warranty but not be dissapointed if they don't budge. Then just buy it yourself.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Full Timer

You can add the Trail Air if you want it and I think you wont regret it, The bike hitch from the factory we found to be a joke and needed reinforcing to hold the bikes, after some miles it started flexing sending the bikes into the back of the trailer scratching the paint and damaging the ladder.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

If you are happy with the unit then just pay for the 2nd year warranty. You have already made the deal and it would not be right to go back and try to reopen it. You could suggest to the salesman that you were not aware of the 2nd year FR warranty and see if they would spit the cost.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Doubt they'll throw the 2nd warranty in. But they will sell you some other aftermarket warranty they make a commision on, which I suggest you don't buy. I'd say learn from the experience, as difficult as it may be.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Howard View Post
Went to near by RV show a couple weeks ago and bought a new 36CKTS. It is not the pearl; it's white with LOWER body paint. Many other options that we will love and was a "Cadillac" for us...only missing the bike hitch we had on our list and I suppose the upgraded king pin assy would have been better (?)...otherwise quite a buy!
Dealer never mentioned anything about the Pearl edition (don't know if we would have bought it anyway - white is nice) and never mentioned anything about the second year warranty for $150. I know "good" salesmanship suggests not to cloud the issues but he knew we were going to buy anyway I'm sure.
Should I hold out for the second year to be thrown in...a little late, or just buy it myself. The pearl thing is not really critical because from recent threads it would appear we have a late manufacture 2013 (curved ceiling, batt disconnect, filter, etc). Understand we went to show to buy a RV...didn't know which one. This one just kind of was calling my name (or was it my bank's name?). Delivery (pickup) scheduled in a couple weeks.Tell me to shut up or insist on a warranty. Opinions?...
According to what FR told me dealers are not required to inform customers of the 2nd year warranty.

Since you asked - If you were happy with your deal before finding out about the 2nd year warranty I would recommend paying the $150 and let it go. I find it easy to start second guessing my choices so I rather not start.

From your posts it sounds like you have a really nice unit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
According to what FR told me dealers are not required to inform customers of the 2nd year warranty.

Since you asked - If you were happy with your deal before finding out about the 2nd year warranty I would recommend paying the $150 and let it go. I find it easy to start second guessing my choices so I rather not start.

From what your posts it sounds like you have a really nice unit.
Ter is right on. This is great advice.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Ter is right on. This is great advice.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #10

If you feel you got a great dealio, don't look back.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #11

Why wouldn't FR require a dealer to inform the buyer of a 2n year warranty? Seems awfully shady to me to run a business, offer a premium service to a customer, yet not inform them of it.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #12

I felt I had a good deal when we purchased our Georgetown last year. I went with a Route 66 extended warranty for the motorhome and will go with the Ford F53 chassis coverage for the next five years.
What I am getting at is do what gives you piece of mind. If the 36ckts fulfills your wishes in an RV then buy piece of mind with the Forest River 2nd year at a decent $150. It will get more complicated the next year after the second when you have to decide what to do.Appliances and A/c concern me most.
I hope the actual coverage is as good when needed as it sounded upon purchase. Like looking at food through a display window!!!
Till then enjoy the trailer. It looks huge and beautiful in the ad.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

I was never told about a second warranty for $150.00. Maybe they want you to spent more than $145,000🌴
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

From what your posts it sounds like you have a really nice unit.

Thats what out dealer told us that it was between Forest River & Us, that they make nothing on it & You pay Forest River directly. If that is the only issue I would not worry too muh about it.................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Denver, CO

Warrantee

How do you get it, I didn't even know anything about it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #16

Forest River is an outstanding company with equally good people.

In my case, the dealer - who FR does not control - has been less than desirable.

You bought a great product from a very reputable manufacturer. Pay for the warranty, work with your dealer when you have to, and know that FR will stand behind their products.

Regarding the air ride - it is well worth it, but you may not fully appreciate it until you tow the trailer for a while without it.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
How do you get it, I didn't even know anything about it.
Here's the link to the form that you can print and send in...
http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pdf

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #18

If it was the trailer you want and you like it just pay the extra $250, Cedar Creek is more. I actually would have prefered white.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Rich and Char

Years ago we bought the 1 year extended warranty thru forest river at the purchasing dealership for 100.00 dollars for our flagstaff.
We also have a CC 36ckts on order, is the extended 1 year warranty from the dealership , or directly from F.R. and does anyone know the price, and is there a link to the warranty to print it out.

I can't find it on the above link.

Thanks,
Rich
rich and char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #20

Does anyone know if a second year warranty is available for a CC 2013 Sliverback? I printed the forms online, and there is no mention of the Sliverback, so I'm just curious...we pick up our new Sliverback next week and it doesn't sound like its something the dealer will mention.
Thanks!!
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote