Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Shower Water Saver

Our shower hose connects to a small fitting that has a small hole for water to exit through to the hose. Obviously, this means water is restricted so that even our Oxygenics Shower Head cannot output enough water. We definitely have more than a trickle but it is not acceptable.

Our four previous Forest River fivers had a water saver that we could just pop out. What do we do about this fitting? Even if we drill the hole larger, it would not be much larger.

This seems to be a new design. Have any other Champagne owners changed out this fitting? It's probably on all new fifth wheels so I welcome input from anyone with this setup.
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 131
I don't have a solution but you have my curiosity peaked...do you have pictures of this new setup? Thx
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,045
First thing we do with a new RV is replace all the sink/shower/bath faucets. You might look at just replacing it.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
brusso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 200
I had same issieon my champagne. Went to HD and got a new head, and used the existing hose. Have no issue now.
__________________
Brian & Terri
Samson (Chocolate Pom)
Full timers
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusso View Post
I had same issieon my champagne. Went to HD and got a new head, and used the existing hose. Have no issue now.

Do I understand by 'head' that you can just remove the center piece that the hose screws into without replacing the entire faucet assembly? Does it just screw out or do you have to remove the entire faucet handle piece?
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 46
We replaced our with a new one from Lowe’s it works great
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Keystoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 343
I'm not certain without seeing a picture, but I think he's talking about an anti-siphon fitting like what is on outside showers.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Shower Water Saver

NM Wildcat where did you get replacement for shower, have looked at box stores can not find one with same shower hose set up. Would like to replace ours with low pressure high flow unit.

This would probably be just what the OP needs as well
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
NM Wildcat where did you get replacement for shower, have looked at box stores can not find one with same shower hose set up. Would like to replace ours with low pressure high flow unit.

This would probably be just what the OP needs as well
I think I got the last one at Lowe's off the shelf. I have also ordered them from the internet. Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q3...+shower+faucet

The picture doesn't show the hose attachment point, but the clients pic towards the bottom does.

There are several types used in RVs. Some have a tub spout, some are shower only. I'm sure you can find a replacement. Good luck!
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 101
That fitting acts as a backflow and restrictor. We removed the entire fitting and attached the shower head holder and hose. Plenty of water now.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Freebirds2831, are you talking about the fitting that the hose attaches to at the faucet handles. If so I see exactly what you mean the center piece is solid and can not be removed. You are also right, drilling it out will not move much more water up to the shower head.

My wife and I were just talking about this, I was going to order a low pressure high output handheld head, but your post got me looking, I am going to Lowes tomorrow to see if I can find a new faucet with hose attachment that is not so restricted. That NMWildcat pointed out.

All I can do is let you know how things turn out.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
On the same site is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/Builders-Shop...PM0MXJFRHH4G41

Here is the photo. The base is small enough but then at the top it is solid plastic except for a little hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faucet.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	159271  
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Freebirds2831, are you talking about the fitting that the hose attaches to at the faucet handles. If so I see exactly what you mean the center piece is solid and can not be removed. You are also right, drilling it out will not move much more water up to the shower head.

My wife and I were just talking about this, I was going to order a low pressure high output handheld head, but your post got me looking, I am going to Lowes tomorrow to see if I can find a new faucet with hose attachment that is not so restricted. That NMWildcat pointed out.

All I can do is let you know how things turn out.
Please do follow up with what you find. We have never made any changes to anything related to electricity or water in our fifth wheel but might attempt this.
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
I don't have a solution but you have my curiosity peaked...do you have pictures of this new setup? Thx
Picture now posted. Second photo shows little hole.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Shower Water Saver

Freebirds2831 went to box stores they had nothing to switch to. Have been researching, and have found out that older models with better flows had a D spud to connect the hand held to instead of the vacuum breaker. These fitting can be removed and replaced.

Vacuum breakers are required to be installed on all new units, apparently to prevent the possibility of water being sucked back thru the shower head to contaminate your other water. Figure the odds.

Camping world has the D spud fitting. They are also available on line. I am also still going to order a high flow low pressure shower hand held head from highpressureshowerheads.com. We have one at our house due to well pressure and it is fantastic.

Will let you know how it turns out.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Freebirds2831 went to box stores they had nothing to switch to. Have been researching, and have found out that older models with better flows had a D spud to connect the hand held to instead of the vacuum breaker. These fitting can be removed and replaced.

Vacuum breakers are required to be installed on all new units, apparently to prevent the possibility of water being sucked back thru the shower head to contaminate your other water. Figure the odds.

Camping world has the D spud fitting. They are also available on line. I am also still going to order a high flow low pressure shower hand held head from highpressureshowerheads.com. We have one at our house due to well pressure and it is fantastic.

Will let you know how it turns out.
I didn't know the reasoning but I found the same - that the old ones were not available to switch to. Please let me know how yours works out. We may have to go an RV salavage yard to get an old one.
__________________
Lawrence, JD and Bear
2017 Champagne 38EL
Our Rolling Earthquake
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Freebirds2831 Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I would like to let you know how we made out with getting one of the best showers in our RV we have had since we purchased it.

I changed out the vacuum breaker for a D spud, more water but not pressure with this. I did order a new shower head from Gearbest.com. This took 15 days to get as it came from Australia. It takes the shower to a complete new level. The total cost of this shower head was $6.99 this included Shipping and insurance.

It is called the Gocomma 300 holes high pressure boost shower head. If you look this up online you will see several YouTube videos. They are telling the truth.

My wife liked this so much that she has told me to order 2 more in case something happens to this one. It is ABS plastic with a metal head, so it it very light and does not put extra pressure on the shower wall.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
kinzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds2831 View Post
Picture now posted. Second photo shows little hole.
Is this d spud replaceable on a existing shower faucet. If so does the replacment with the larger hole increase the shower pressure.....
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Shower Water Saver

Kinzoo yes on most it is replaceable, you have to unscrew the vacuum breaker then screw in the d spud. For us it did increase the waster flow amount, but did not increase the pressure any great noticeable amount. Replacing the shower head wand increased the pressure 10 fold.

Where we are staying has a static pressure of 53 to 55 psi, when running the pressure drops to 40 and maybe a bit below depending on time of day. Even at 40 psi the new shower head feels like a good residential shower, can't wait to see how it is at 50 psi as in some parks.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Kinzoo sent you a PM let me know you got it.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
show, shower, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.