Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #21

Not a fan of any picture graphics. Hope they don't go back to them.
notsosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosan View Post
Not a fan of any picture graphics. Hope they don't go back to them.
X2
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I hadn't seen a gorilla graphic either until just last week while we were at the Colter Bay campground. One of the FROG members at the rally had a 2010 29RE that had the gorilla graphic. I really didn't like that graphic.

I haven't seen one of those in years! A gorilla theme just doesn't seem quite right.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #24

Just went onto the Forest River website and they have the new Silverback brochure out there. I currently have an older model Silverback 29 RE. It looks like they got rid of one of the cathedral slides in the main living area, they made the shower bigger but the bathroom has less storage and the faucet is to the side of the sink, there is more storage in the bedroom closet but they got rid of the cut corners on the front cap which on the older models allow for no slider hitch, and they brought back the bear graphic on the front cap. All changes I am not of fan of. I am glad I bought mine when I did!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Just went onto the Forest River website and they have the new Silverback brochure out there. I currently have an older model Silverback 29 RE. It looks like they got rid of one of the cathedral slides in the main living area, they made the shower bigger but the bathroom has less storage and the faucet is to the side of the sink, there is more storage in the bedroom closet but they got rid of the cut corners on the front cap which on the older models allow for no slider hitch, and they brought back the bear graphic on the front cap. All changes I am not of fan of. I am glad I bought mine when I did!
X2, and the location of the wash basin faucet is just plain dumb IMO! I'm not sure I like the look of just one cathedral ceiling and one regular in the living area.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #26

Quote:
X2, and the location of the wash basin faucet is just plain dumb IMO! I'm not sure I like the look of just one cathedral ceiling and one regular in the living area.
I hope they change it back by the time I am ready to buy again. We like our current Silverback so much we figured our next trailer would also be a Silverback. It seems they make major changes every year.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #27

Cut corners?

Are you sure the cut corners on the front cap are gone? The pictures that I have seen look like there still cut. We are planning on ordering a 33RL early next year and have a short bed truck. I admit the bathroom faucet is a little strange but I think they were trying to save room and put a larger sink and add more counter space in the bathroom. Craig
Sodapopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #28

The corners of the front cap aren’t cut as deeply in the new models and that gives the front closet more space. The old design allowed for a 90 plus degree turn with a standard bed pickup. I doubt the new design will allow such a dramatic angle.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #29

I just went to my favorite fair tonight where last year we seen our Silverback that we wanted and bought a small time later. This year they had a early 2014 Silverback 29re which looks just like the 2013 model and they had a later 2014 Silverback 33rl that was a tan color and had the Bear emblem on it and also the Kitchen/entertainment slide did not have the cathedral ceiling.
Likes: bigger microwave, shower/tub combo, recliner chairs with center (ok), tv above dresser
Dislikes: Tan Color, Closet, Flat slide out, ? on turning radius, less storage in bathroom.
I am glad I bought mine when I did.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #30

The most important thing to me is that you can get the 6 point level-up on the 2014's now.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #31

We are going down to take the factory tour the 2nd week of oct. It will be the first time seeing the new colors. I hope we don't dislike it too much as we are planning on ordering a 33Rl early this spring. I wish they would have kept it gray for 1 more year. I do like the bigger bath and the level-up though.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #32

Make sure you order a slide topper for over the kitchen/entertainment slide.
As with any camper I find things I like about my camper and things I like about other campers. Just make sure you like your camper most.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #33

I will take that into consideration. We don't have the toppers on our current 5er and never thought them to be a problem except for them getting a little dirty. What are the advantages of a topper.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #34

2 of your slides will not need them but your 1 flat slide might if you wish. Alot of people like toppers to keep their slides cleaner and cooler but that is totally up to you.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I like the new bathroom layout better. Wasn't a fan of the old one. Need to have a look at the other changes and agree with you on the graphics. Should have stuck with the grey and no critters or at least with no critters.
notsosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #36

Quote:
I hadn't seen a gorilla graphic either until just last week while we were at the Colter Bay campground. One of the FROG members at the rally had a 2010 29RE that had the gorilla graphic. I really didn't like that graphic.
My friend had the gorilla and took them off. I like my swooshes much better.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #37

changes

i'm considering a Silverback 33RL. the tub shower of the ones for sale is not the same as the tub shower with a seat, 2014 models.
the bathroom layout is different than the ones on the market.
when will these be available and where is the factory tour?
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #38

We are looking at the 33RL also. The factory tour is at the plant in Topeka ind. and I think the tours are on tuesdays and Thursdays. I would call first and let them know your coming and to make sure the days are correct. We will be down there the 2nd week of oct. Craig
Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #39

A couple of thoughts from somebody who almost bought an "old style" 2014 Silverback 29RE in the spring:
  • I like the new bathroom a lot! I've also been looking at the Columbus 295RL and the shower was one of the selling points in the Columbus that the Sliverback lacked. The faucet on the side of the sink basin isn't ideal, but I'm sure they did that due to space limitations.
  • Glad to see the Level Up system offered as an option now. Again, this was a selling point for the Columbus that the Sliverback lacked.
  • The removal of a cathedral ceiling in the kitchen slide doesn't bother me. I always thought the square topped cabinets looked a little odd in the cathedral slide. At first I was bummed about them removing that cathedral slide, but I actually like the new traditional slide there better after comparing them side by side.
  • I think the new front cap will probably give similar turning clearance to the old cap. The notches aren't as pronounced, but the bottom half of the cap rolls under much more aggressively than the old front cap design - and might even be a shorter cap top to bottom. My guess is they don't need the notches to be as deep when you combine them with the heavily contoured bottom half of the front cap.
  • I like the interior trim updates a lot! The window treatments, cabinets, and table/chairs seem much nicer than the old 29RE. I always thought the Columbus had nicer interior trim, but feel the two are equal now.
  • The old gray exterior color scheme didn't bother me because I have a black tow vehicle, but I can see where the new color scheme would be less polarizing.

I always liked the floorplan of the Silverback 29RE better than the Columbus 295RL, but some of the above points were things I observed as differences between the two. I decided to hold off on ordering because my current trailer was less than a year old and I wanted to see what changes happened in the coming model year. To each their own, but I personally really like the changes they made to the "new" Silverback.
gtb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #40

Oakman, Camper1999, anyone else towing a Silverback 29RE
We are getting close to chosing our new 5th wheel (1st) and really like the Silverback 29RE. We will be buying our TV at the same time. I'd like to tow with a F250 or GM 2500, would go with a diesel, crew cab, 2WD. In the F250 axel choice is 3.55 and the GM would be 3.73. Can't get a 3.73 unless you go F350.
My question is not just "Can" the truck tow the Silverback, but how well. What I mean is that I do not want to buy truck or trailer if we hit the mountains out west or smokies and I cannot get up and down the mountain with relative ease. I see in peoples signatures that they are towing a 29RE with same/similar truck, but I don't think I have seen anything about mountain driving.
If a 250/2500 won't get it done with this trailer then we are probably out of the game altogether. No room for a 350 or a dually and this is the minimum in a trailer we desire.
Would appreciate if anyone with this specific trailer and truck comb could comment and provide added guidance.
Thanks, Tigerbug
Tigerbug is offline   Reply With Quote