Old 12-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Silverback questions

Hi

I am interested in a Silverback and have a few questions.

1. Do they have an extended pin box and radiused front cap so that a short bed truck will work?

2. Is the 12'11" height listed including the front bedroom a/c? If not what is the height with a/c?

3. Is this a Lippert frame and if so it is approved for use with the Reese Goosebox?

4. Is it prepped for a generator or can you get that option?

Thanks

2014: camped 12 nights
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Denise from FR responded to my email inquiry. Thanks

Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the responses?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

No problem.

Hi

1. Do they have an extended pin box and radiused front cap so that a short bed truck will work?- In order for a short bed truck to work, it would need to have a slider hitch installed on the truck

2. Is the 12'11" height listed including the front bedroom a/c? If not what is the height with a/c?- The 12’11” height is without the second air. When the second air is added, the unit is about 13’4” tall

3. Is this a Lippert frame and if so it is approved for use with the Reese Goosebox?-No, this is not approved for a “goosebox” if one is used will void your warranty

4. Is it prepped for a generator or can you get that option?- No, we do not do generators or generator prep on our Silverbacks- only Cedar Creek
Thanks Donald

Old 12-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
Hi

1. Do they have an extended pin box and radiused front cap so that a short bed truck will work?
Thanks
We have a silverback 29RE with a 08 ram 2500 short box, no slider hitch, and have had no problems towing or turning with this combination. Backing into campsites requiring tight turns is not a problem, however I don't think I have ever made a 90 degree or greater turn. Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

2008 Dodge quad cab, short bed, Curt hitch w manual slide ( slide not really necessary, BUT, I like to use it in really tight places) . A/C has been revamped on new production to in ceiling ducted. No knowledge on Gooseneck towing. Our 2015, 33rl, we have to extend the kitchen slide on trips to access refer. It is repositioned in new production for easier access with slides closed!
Love this unit, no major issues with build. Our previous fifth wheel was a Keystone Outback, 36ft triple slide, front bunk house. Same tow vehicle.
Took it x country for 3 months and really liked it. Only came to Silverback because of rear living and quality reputation.
IF YOU FIND A GOOSENECK is not possible, I bought the Trail Air pin box with inflatable shock! LOVE THAT THING! ( factory option).
Thats all I have, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Have 29 RE. Never have used the slider yet and I have a fuel tank that's higher than bed rails.

They offer a low profile 2ndA/C. Don't know which you got quoted.

I would have an air ride hitch installed by dealer or noted so that it will not mess up your warrenty.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

Factory options include Trail Air pin boxes. Mine was built and shipped as such. I recommend no frame add ons until original warranty expires. On my 2011 Outback 5er, never added even a bicycle rack until warranty was up. Why do something that may cause you grief!?

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

JDFarmer,
The responses you received for your questions numbered 1 and 3 are not as accurate as they seem to be.

1. You can tow with a short bed without a slider. You just will not have the ability to make turns much over 70 some odd degrees without hitting the cab.

3. Here is the reference from Lippert Components: https://lci1.com/goose-box
I believe the model in question comes with the Lippert 1621 pin box.
FR does not warranty the frame and has no say in it. LCI does. The notion that you would totally void your warranty is rejected (although they didn't exactly say that). If you are interested in the truth, I suggest you contact LCI directly.
FYI, I was the recipient of false info from a FR Warranty/Service Mgr not long ago. A visit to the factory straightened that out. The good news is that person is no longer a FR employee and my issue was satisfactorily resolved.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #10

I was referring to my experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418122257.542795.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	67359

I was probably overloading after weighing on scales. Don't carry things I did then.

Was shocked when I bought the air ride hitch and it was only about $300 more than stiff hitch. When I buy the dealer will switch/upgrade and not to have to deal with the excuse.

I like my camper. Just don't want to trash FR. I have looked at buying in the same brand in future.

Good luck. I think you can find a camper that you love and get support if needed. Wise to do research like you are doing. IMO.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

We have a 2014 29RE Silverback....towing with a 2014 Chev 2500HD short box with Reese R16 hitch with slider......Been at 90* once...no problems.....Slider not used!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
JDFarmer,
The responses you received for your questions numbered 1 and 3 are not as accurate as they seem to be.

1. You can tow with a short bed without a slider. You just will not have the ability to make turns much over 70 some odd degrees without hitting the cab.

3. Here is the reference from Lippert Components: https://lci1.com/goose-box
I believe the model in question comes with the Lippert 1621 pin box.
FR does not warranty the frame and has no say in it. LCI does. The notion that you would totally void your warranty is rejected (although they didn't exactly say that). If you are interested in the truth, I suggest you contact LCI directly.
FYI, I was the recipient of false info from a FR Warranty/Service Mgr not long ago. A visit to the factory straightened that out. The good news is that person is no longer a FR employee and my issue was satisfactorily resolved.
Your point number 1 is untrue. I have a 6.5 short bed and have been at a 90 degree backing in, no slider, and plenty of room between the cab and trailer
Old 12-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Your point number 1 is untrue. I have a 6.5 short bed and have been at a 90 degree backing in, no slider, and plenty of room between the cab and trailer
Your response may be true for your TV. The OP has a Ford and I had a 2010 CC SB with a non sliding hitch. My turn radius was a hair over 80*. Of course, it is possible that the Silverback nose cap is or was shaped differently. There are other variables as well.

Then there is the fact that we agree that you CAN tow with a SB sans slider. That was the point after all.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Sliders Reuired???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
We have a 2014 29RE Silverback....towing with a 2014 Chev 2500HD short box with Reese R16 hitch with slider......Been at 90* once...no problems.....Slider not used!!!! J
I guess I should clarify my statement re sliders...." It all depends on the design construction of the 5th wheel front end.....Newer ones are designed to be able to be at 90* with the towing vehicle...i.e. the CC 29RE....J

Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote