Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Angry Slide cover locks up slide - will not open 37rth

So I have a 2019 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback Edition 37RTH. My center (kitchen) slide is a hydraulic apposing slide for the kitchen appliances on drivers side and the dinette on the passenger side. I have factory installed slide covers which look like the Lippert type but no markings to know for sure. While at the dealer getting my TV changed out, the dealer attempted to open the slide in order to get to the living room tv when we hear some loud crunching type sounds. whatever the noise was it stopped the slide from opening. The dealer looked outside and saw the slide cover roller on the dinette side was jamming against the slide itself and forcing it to stop opening. He had to take the slide cover off and, as he said, "I need to order the shim kit for this. This happens to all of the Forest River products. I don't know why they don't fix it at the factory." So this seems a bit crazy but after looking at the other slides, i can see they are also very close to hitting the slide when open. All are less then one inch out. Not sure if that is normal or not. One of the problems that I saw after looking at another 37RTH is the way the main awning is mounted compared to mine. My awning is mounted very close to the slide, which in turn made them mount the slide cover to the extreme right side of the slide where the left side roller is actually on top of the slide-out and the right side roller is extended well past the slide. The other 37rth had the main awning moved to the back and the slide out awning was mounted correctly. The downfall of this method is that you must half shut your main door in order to open the main awning or the awning extensions would hit on the door. A bit of a design error, I think. So now I must wait for the dealer to get the part to fix my slide. They said it is special order and will take a few weeks. Any information from others would be appreciated.
BOB 37RTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Commercial Member

BOB 37RTH,

Thank you for being a part of the Cedar Creek family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Cedar Creek Silverback Edition. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Nick Schrock in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...69499666053139.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #3

Thank you for the link. I have responded with an email.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

Same Problem

Bob, we have the 2019 37rth and we had the same problem. the new style slide out covers that it came with were all failing on ours and Orvin worked with CC to identify a larger issue and they ended up replacing all of them with the older style slideout covers. what i can see the difference is the bar that adjusts the widths are octegon shaped versus the smoot slide bar.

At least CC and Orvin with the assistence of the vendor rep of the slides worked thru identifying the issue.
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Green Horn

Looks like a trip to Ovin for repairs and have the unit gone over
kevin211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #6

So I made contact with Forest River as requested. I must say that the Cedar Creek contact has been very easy and understanding about my issue. My dealer on the other hand has not been easy to deal with. I forwarded the information (email) provided by Cedar Creek. They said they need to add a "shim kit" to fix the problem. Well, my dealer said they needed to take pictures of all the slide cover part numbers. So, another 80 mile round trip just for them to take pictures. They stated they could not order the parts unless they took pictures, as it was a requirement of the manufacture. Well, its been 9 days since my original post and nothing has been done. I had to remove the troubled slide cover in order to use my camper over the weekend. Maybe a dozen screws and 10 minutes to remove. I just don't understand when something is a known problem (said the dealer), and they have a known fix (I hope), that its not taken care of. Do they just want to wait for the customer to have problems when they are camping ???

On a better note, maybe, I also had problems with the In Command app which enables me to open slides, turn lights on, etc. Well, on the app it allows you to raise and lower the front jacks from the app using the "Hitch" button. This allows you when hooking up the 5th wheel to raise and lower the front in order to make the connection easier. Well, when I tap the hitch up or down, it turns on the hydraulic pump but nothing happens to the legs. I reported this to my dealer the day i picked up my RV (14 months ago). Well, it only took a year for them to replace the main computer to find out it still did not fix the issue. The Cedar Creek rep said it should work. She put her tech on the phone and offered to explain to the dealer what was needed. I passed that on to my dealer and they have yet to make contact. I just don't get it.

I am learning that the dealers want you to buy the product, and then leave them alone. Nothing like the automobile business. I own a flooring business and give my customers a 1 year warranty on labor and materials. I would not be in business if i did not take care of my customers.

Maybe that is why we see so many mobile RV repair services here in Florida. One day it will all be fixed !!! lol
Old 02-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #7

4GARYLEE,

My slides already have the octagon type extenders but it still failed. The rollers are literally less then 1/2" away from the slide, so if there is any tension at all, if forces the roller to hit the slide. Mainly on the dual hydraulic slide since they seem to have a lot of up and down movement when opening and closing.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

Hmmm

now i am questioning myself it was the other way around!!! my trailer is at Orvins getting some really cool upgrades and other repair work or i would go out and look!! the problem started on the hydrallic slides then it proceeded to all the slides. they replaced with the older style and no more problems!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

So, you keep mentioning Orvins. Not sure who or what that is. Sorry. I have had mine for a little over a year now and love it. Added W/D and LP generator. Little did I know that the generator can only run about 10 hours while 2 AC units are running before I run out of LP. Now I am thinking about increasing battery capacity and adding solar. I hope to retire in about 1 year and want to head west. Trying to be prepared. What upgrades are you getting ?
Old 02-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

Orvin

Orvin is the owner of Amish Family RV Service out of Topeka Indiana. He has a close tie with Cedar Creek with performing warranty work as well as any other work you would like completed. His primary focus is Cedar Creek, Orvin and his crew come from the production lines within the RV community that all have a welth of knowledge and are about customer service satisfaction from the start and doing it right.

Upgrades:
Valterra Electric Automatic Waste Valves
Cross Member under frame support
Slide Out Rail supports
Long LED rear lights on the trailer
Warranty Forever yearly service check
Electric Furnace Add On- this will give me the option to run off gas or electric.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #11

Slide Topper

I have a 2015 Primetime Lacrosse. I had slide toppers put on all three slides two years ago. Last year while trying to take a trip in October my slide topper tube rolled up on the flange for the slide at the door. My awning is located over the only entry door and restricts the slide topper to be mounted with the same overhang as the rear of the unit. I also have the problem that water will pond up on the slide topper. The hardware that is mounted on the body of the unit is mounted approximately 3 inches from the drip rail of the unit. Should the dealer mounted the slide topper up higher to prevent this water ponding. I think the water ponding has caused my mounting hardware of the slide topper to fail and allow the tube to roll up on the slide flange. I have approximately 1/2" clearance on back side (toward the rear of the unit) and the roller tube is tight against the slide flange. Any suggestions on fix?

thanks
scotthud1321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, lock, slide