Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Slide out leak.

Went to our 2016 Silverback 33IK, pulled it out of storage space to set up and make sure everything is in order before we head for warmer weather in November. Do it early just in case something needs fixed before we leave.

Noticed light coming in under dinette slide out at bottom of floor. Went out to check found the black scrim material wrinkled and soft floor at edge of slide. This is what we found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	216733

This is old damage that probably started last year, the flooring is completely dry but being it is particle board has deteriorated. Have found this appears to be a manufacture flaw not only with Forest river but other makes as well. I think this YouTube video says it all. . There are others as well on this exact leak and problem.

I am going to repair it, as I don't think a dealer would be able to get it done by November.

If your slide out is made the same, I would encourage you to check the flooring along the bottom of the slide out that is covered by the black scrim material. I am going to fix the other slides to prevent it from occurring again.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

thanks for the info you are wise to check all and fix
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

Yeah, ours too. They didn't put a drip edge on any of the sides of any of thee slides. Rain comes down and wets that black "waterproof" paper on bottom of wafer board floor. The floor doesn't actually get soft when wet. It gets soft after a year or so when warranty is up. That way FR and CC can save the $20 for the drip edges. Just dollars and cents to them. There is a YouTube on this. I opted to replace floor and added rubber drip edges for $2 each. Next time it rains, go check the bottom of your slides.

Safe travels.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Yeah, ours too. They didn't put a drip edge on any of the sides of any of thee slides. Rain comes down and wets that black "waterproof" paper on bottom of wafer board floor. The floor doesn't actually get soft when wet. It gets soft after a year or so when warranty is up. That way FR and CC can save the $20 for the drip edges. Just dollars and cents to them. There is a YouTube on this. I opted to replace floor and added rubber drip edges for $2 each. Next time it rains, go check the bottom of your slides.

Safe travels.
Can you provide info on the drip edges?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Here is the YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/Lx8ouqlM5jo
Excellent description of the issue and his fix.

I just removed the trim piece and added a cheap single blade rubber door sweep, replaced trim and caulked. 5 mins each. Been 8 Mos and a very rainy Midwest. So far so good. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Here is the YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/Lx8ouqlM5jo
Excellent description of the issue and his fix.

I just removed the trim piece and added a cheap single blade rubber door sweep, replaced trim and caulked. 5 mins each. Been 8 Mos and a very rainy Midwest. So far so good. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck
Thanks for the info and link.
I bought some of the door sweeps to put on this week while we are out. Just looked at the slides and it looks like they already have the 'slide skis' installed, or at least something that looks like them.

Jim
Old 10-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #7

Did the repair yesterday took 6 hours. Went fairly smooth. Was surprised to find that the only thing holding the slide out end walls to the floor were the 6 - 6 x 1 1/2 trim screws on the drip edge at the bottom of the slide. Went up thru bottom with self drilling stainless? These were sealed then covered with the plastic slide out skids. Dealer had them in stock for $21 a set.

Name:	IMG_7364.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	217219

Name:	IMG_7366.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	217220

Name:	IMG_7367.jpg