Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #21
Swift2

I just got thru repairing my line of screws that we're all poking up thru the factory tape. My slide would hang up when trying to extend it out. I ended up having my slide adjusted down. Then I replaced all the screws with flush self tapping screws, then cleaned all the old tape off and cleaned the with paint thinner. I then bought some etherbond tape which was pretty expensive and put new tape full length of the slide. Slide moves out very smooth now and the tape no longer rolls up.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
I just got thru repairing my line of screws that we're all poking up thru the factory tape. My slide would hang up when trying to extend it out. I ended up having my slide adjusted down. Then I replaced all the screws with flush self tapping screws, then cleaned all the old tape off and cleaned the with paint thinner. I then bought some etherbond tape which was pretty expensive and put new tape full length of the slide. Slide moves out very smooth now and the tape no longer rolls up.
Hum, I had not considered the the outer edges of the slides might be too high. Did you make the adjustment or an RV center?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #23
Swift2

Yes I did have Camping World change the rubber seal. However they did not address the tape issue which had holes in it at every screw. The big job was to get the old tape off and countersink it and put new self driving screws in the top so that it is all flush. It took five months to get the rubber seal changed and then the slide still hung up when it was being extended out . The hardest part of the job was getting the old ether bond tape off the top of the slide. When I was finished I had to lower the slide by about a quarter of an inch to make it come out smooth. It now slides out very smooth without hanging up and I expect the tape won't be rolling up anymore . Good luck on your project
Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #24
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post

I am going to replace the torn D-seals and be done with it. What caulk should I use along the top horizontal edge? I seems to be some sort of silicone.

After the new seals are in I'll clean the remaining ones, treat with 303 protectant and coat with baby powder. I have seen videos suggesting the use of powder...any thoughts? I'm thinking it might help prevent further sticking and tearing.
I try to avoid silicone on an RV. Silicone withstands heat really well but not abrasion. It is also a bear to remove and nothing wants to stick to it. The best sealant I have found is ProFlex. Again, expensive but really works.

Talcum powder, corn starch work really well when dry. Dry being the operative word.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #25
Swift2

They did it the first time and I did it the second tome
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #26

Okay, I have finished replacing the torn D-seals or trimming shorter and sliding up where I could. It took one 35" roll to complete the job. The slide roofs have been thoroughly cleaned and protected, screws covered and re-sealed, 303 protectant applied to all rubber seals, toppers installed and both main sides adjusted down about 1/2 inch to hopefully prevent this from happening again. Whew, what a project...

To make the height adjustment it was fairly easy...losten a few bolts, a jam nut and run a long adjustment bolt up or down as needed. A problem came in , however, when two adjustment bolts (carriage bolts) would not come loose and spun at the head. I ended up cutting them off and replacing with through bolts. Aside from that it was straight forward. I think the adjustment suggestion was right on the money as a preventative step to insure there isn't a repeat to this exercise.

While underneath to make adjustments and treat the bottom seals I also cleaned the grease away from the slide rails and coated them with a dry lube (CRC dry moly lube). I hope this works well as it won't attract and hold grime and dust and will not ruin a shirt if bumped against. The previous owner applied grease just prior to my showing up to inspect the rig because they were squeaky going in and out.

Thank you again for all the helpful comments/suggestions! It's fantastic having folks willing to share their knowledge when a newbee comes along.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Okay, I have finished replacing the torn D-seals or trimming shorter and sliding up where I could. It took one 35" roll to complete the job. The slide roofs have been thoroughly cleaned and protected, screws covered and re-sealed, 303 protectant applied to all rubber seals, toppers installed and both main sides adjusted down about 1/2 inch to hopefully prevent this from happening again. Whew, what a project...

To make the height adjustment it was fairly easy...losten a few bolts, a jam nut and run a long adjustment bolt up or down as needed. A problem came in , however, when two adjustment bolts (carriage bolts) would not come loose and spun at the head. I ended up cutting them off and replacing with through bolts. Aside from that it was straight forward. I think the adjustment suggestion was right on the money as a preventative step to insure there isn't a repeat to this exercise.

While underneath to make adjustments and treat the bottom seals I also cleaned the grease away from the slide rails and coated them with a dry lube (CRC dry moly lube). I hope this works well as it won't attract and hold grime and dust and will not ruin a shirt if bumped against. The previous owner applied grease just prior to my showing up to inspect the rig because they were squeaky going in and out.

Thank you again for all the helpful comments/suggestions! It's fantastic having folks willing to share their knowledge when a newbee comes along.
Did you have to climb on top of the slides to do this ???
Looks like some good work !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Did you have to climb on top of the slides to do this ???
Looks like some good work !!!
Thanks!

Yes, at times I was on the slides but mostly up and down the ladders (many many times). I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the slide tops clean. I doubt the previous owner did any of the suggested maintenance to the roofs or seals...
Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks!

Yes, at times I was on the slides but mostly up and down the ladders (many many times). I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the slide tops clean. I doubt the previous owner did any of the suggested maintenance to the roofs or seals...
I sure hope you are a lot Younger than I,,,
and weigh a H of a lot less than I do !!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #30
Old Member

Nice job. Love the shop: I'm quite envious.
I stepped on the roof of an old Jayco slide once. Learned all about 2x2 construction. :-)
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #31

When I was on the slide roofs I was crawling. perhaps if standing my 210lbs might have come crashing through!! Toppers will keep this noob out of harms way from now on!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 AM   #32

Quote:
When I was on the slide roofs I was crawling. perhaps if standing my 210lbs might have come crashing through!! Toppers will keep this noob out of harms way from now on!
210 LBS,,,
I once told a Doctor I thought my bones weighted more than that !!!
LMAO !!!

Tags
slide