Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Slide seal and sealing questions

Hello!

Camper noob here with a couple questions regarding my 2014 CC.

In a few pieces of vertical seals of the slide outs they are torn. See pic:

The torn pieces are slid in place and it is possible to cut them shorter, move them up and re-attach. The weather strip extends well below the camper side wall so my thought is it might be okay to do this but wanted to check in with the group here first hoping a little wisdom could come my way. My other thought was to try to repair the tare usind an adhesive. If this is advised...which adhesive?

Question # 2 is what should be done with this? :

The exposed screw heads at the outer top of the slide flange has me thinking they need attention before I pull it out of my shop. Should I try to run the screws down? Should I just clean and top them with Dicor? Should I clean, prime and apply Eternabond?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

If it were me, I'd just replace the first example. The seals extend past the bottom of the slide cutout a bit because if it were cut flush with the bottom of the hole cutout in the side of your RV water would always wick back up the seal a bit and potentially cause problems. If part of a seal is old and tearing ... the rest of it is not far behind. Aerospace 303 helps keep rubber seals pliable and offers UV protection.
The second area of concern ... I'd clean it up ... maybe try and run the screws down just a bit more, put a small square of eternabond tape over each head, and then run another layer of eternabond the entire length of the slide.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

DJNCJ X2 on what dieselguy has posted. My new Silverback has a complete run of eternal bond tape across the top of every slide from the factory.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

I guess I would leave the rubber seal alone if the rubber is not dried up or brittle. That small rip in the rubber would not cause any problem as the slide presses up against that when closed. It seems the real seal is the one against the slide. If your concerned about it just get some clear RTV and put a small patch there. Go to the RV store and purchase some rubber seal treatment and keep the seals treated to keep them from drying out..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

There should be a D-seal that seals against the outer RV wall when the slide is in and when it's out. That keeps the water out. If I'm looking at your picture right, what's torn is just the wiper seal, which sort of squeegee water off the slide when it comes in. It does serve to keep some water deflected, but it's not the true weather seal. Mine has some minor tears like that, too, but I didn't worry about it. The wiper seal pulled loose in a few places and I was able to reattach it with some 3M trim adhesive; about $16 per tube at Lowe's.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Look again ... his first photo is the D seal he has his thumb on, the wiper is against the slide wall. The D seal on top is split as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Oops! My eyes are getting older than I thought! ��

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Look again ... his first photo is the D seal he has his thumb on, the wiper is against the slide wall. The D seal on top is split as well.
That is correct. It is the "D" seal.

I'm surprised to see them torn with the camper being only two years old. I just bought it (private party) and the previous owner told me he sprayed them with silicone. My quess is this may have caused them to stick to the slide flange when closed and were torn upon opening??

If I replace the seal, is this the right one to order?:

http://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-01...slide+out+seal
Old 04-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Old Member

Those screw heads have me more concerned than the sildeout seal. They will leak and cause all sorts of headaches and damage. Those screws hold the Aluminum flange on. I would make sure they are tight. Don't over tighten them. They are only in mfd and if water has gotten in they won't be holding much.

I would clean up that screw line really well with mineral spirits. You won't harm anything for the short period of time you have it on there. Get some 4" EnternaBond Tape and run that from one end of the slide to the other. That tape is expensive but nothing else works like it.

The slide seal: If there is excess at the bottom, I would pull it up. Anything that goes pass the floor isn't doing much. I'd try and figure out why it is failing. The trailer is only 2 years old.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

I performed the repair to one of the long slide outs today. I cleaned the area with mineral spirits first. Then wiped it down with a damp cloth followed by eterna-clean spray (smells just like non chlorinated brake parts cleaner BTW). After cleaning I applied 1" square pieces of eternabond over each screw head, sprayed eterna-prime over the surface and ran a 4" wide strip of eternabond the entire lengh wrapping it 1.5" down the side. I'll take pics as I do the other long slide tomorrow.

I am still undecided what I will do with the D seals. Please keep the recommendations coming...I greatly appreciate the advice!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #11

Call me crazy but as I look at your photo it looks like you have a small ripped D seal, maybe an inch long at the top rear of your slide. If that is all that is torn and the rubber is still supple I would not replace the whole thing. It is at the rear of your trailer and is meant to seal when the slide is closed. I would worry if it was at the front edge where when towing rain could force its way in.

I would keep on it. It is at a location where you can feel from the inside when the slide is open to see if there is water penetration. If there is, replace it.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #12

I took a piece of rubber from an old inner tube and with some "3M" adhesive repaired the torn area
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

It does not seam like a 2014 slide rubber should be that way,,,
wonder if it came out of the factory like that ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #14

Its still not to late to install "Slide Covers" also! Youroo!!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Its still not to late to install "Slide Covers" also! Youroo!!
Haha!

There are 3 slide toppers in my shop now awaiting installation once I'm done with the roof and seal repair...
Old 04-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #16

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Call me crazy but as I look at your photo it looks like you have a small ripped D seal, maybe an inch long at the top rear of your slide. If that is all that is torn and the rubber is still supple I would not replace the whole thing. It is at the rear of your trailer and is meant to seal when the slide is closed. I would worry if it was at the front edge where when towing rain could force its way in.

I would keep on it. It is at a location where you can feel from the inside when the slide is open to see if there is water penetration. If there is, replace it.
True, the pic shows a seal at the rear of the slide, however, the front is in a similar or worse condition.

Both of the opposing slides are this way while the bedroom slide is okay... no tares anywhere. The seals that are torn do not show any rot or cracking but I am finding a lot of rubber stuck to the back side of the flanges where they press up against the D-seals. To me it seems the previuos owner used the wrong products when attempting to care for these seals.

I have an additional question... should the top inside corners of the slide flanges be sealed with silicone caulk? I'm wondering if the caulk stuck to the seals and tore them upon opening...

Old 04-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #17

Ok, different story now with the front edge also torn. How long have you had this RV? Have you had it out in the hard rain while towing? Is there any evidence of water damage inside around the slides?

You have two layers of seal. The D seal that the side presses against and the wiper seal that is snug against the side of the slide. I doubt even if they are perfect that that setup is completely waterproof if towing in a 60 mph rain storm but it is probably better when not compromised. To keep down the grief I would go ahead and change it out and then make sure to use the right treatment for the rubber.

I would also make sure the back side of the slide is not sticky or have excess caulk that could stick to the rubber.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #18

I found this video on YouTube. Sound a lot like what you are doing. You need to fast forward thru some of the banter but still informative... http://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU

Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I found this video on YouTube. Sound a lot like what you are doing. You need to fast forward thru some of the banter but still informative... http://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU
Thanks for the feedback and the video link! I watched that one before I started the roof repair.

I forgot to take a finished photo of the 4" strip over the top running the entire length. Monday I will put a thin layer of Dicor at the edge of the tape so the wiper seal does not catch it upon closing.

I have only had the trailer for about 3 weeks and have not driven in the rain. I have not yet found any evidence of water intrusion and this is why I am kinda on a mission to seal it up as best I can to prevent it. Fortunately I have space indoors at work for it so I am able to tend to it as I can. I have an in with the boss (my wife is married to him...)

I am going to replace the torn D-seals and be done with it. What caulk should I use along the top horizontal edge? I seems to be some sort of silicone.

After the new seals are in I'll clean the remaining ones, treat with 303 protectant and coat with baby powder. I have seen videos suggesting the use of powder...any thoughts? I'm thinking it might help prevent further sticking and tearing.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #20

Good idea. Be done with it and not worry the first time pulling it down the road in a rain storm

Never heard the baby powder idea. Sounds like a pain in the baby butt though. Why not just spray the 303 along the metal part of the slide that comes in contact with the D seal? Seems it would help the rubber to not stick to it. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
slide