Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #1

Spare Tire Lowering Tool

Purchased a 2021 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik. Apparently they do not come with a tool to lower the spare tire. What have others found to work for this? Seems silly to me that a tool would not be included but it is what it is. What guidance can you give? Went to the dealer and they seemed to be as dumb founded as me. Obviously, doesn't speak well for the dealer! Thanks everyone!

Dave
2010 GMC 2500 HD - Diesel
CR Silverback 33ik
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
Purchased a 2021 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik. Apparently they do not come with a tool to lower the spare tire. What have others found to work for this? Seems silly to me that a tool would not be included but it is what it is. What guidance can you give? Went to the dealer and they seemed to be as dumb founded as me. Obviously, doesn't speak well for the dealer! Thanks everyone!

Dave
2010 GMC 2500 HD - Diesel
CR Silverback 33ik
Call your dealer who sold it to you.
Probably they will say we have no idea and ask you to get a socket wrench.
Worth a try or you can call Forest River.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

The tool was located under the master bed in the storage compartment in ours. The hex on the spare tire lowering extension takes a 3/4" socket if you cannot locate the tool that should be supplied with the unit.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #4

When I bought my 2018 the tool was in the pass through bay. Haven't had to use it yet.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #5

I need to find mine in my 2021 33ik as well.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Probably the same tool you use to lower the stabilizers
Jturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this issue. I called FR and they said that the tool is no longer included with the trailer and to order one from the dealer. I contacted the local dealer and they were confused and said that they would have to contact FR on how to proceed. So far still waiting for the dealer to call me back. I checked on the 3/4" socket and that works even though it would have to be considered a "work-around". At least, if I need the spare tire, I can get it down with the socket. Again, thanks to all of you!
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #8

Not really a work-around

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this issue. I called FR and they said that the tool is no longer included with the trailer and to order one from the dealer. I contacted the local dealer and they were confused and said that they would have to contact FR on how to proceed. So far still waiting for the dealer to call me back. I checked on the 3/4" socket and that works even though it would have to be considered a "work-around". At least, if I need the spare tire, I can get it down with the socket. Again, thanks to all of you!
Not really a work-around. Just get these three tools:And as a bonus, you get all those other sizes in case you need them on the road.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #9

We purchased a 2020 Cedar Creek Champaign 38 EL and it was not included as well. It is disappointing that a simple in-expensive tool is not included. It's not like it would have broke the bank for them to include it. SHAME on them.
ken23322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My 5th wheel didn't come with one either but this, on the chuck end of a cordless drill works splendid. I've seen them for like $5 at Wally World.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
New to FR. Old to TT

I would definitely suggest getting a tool to check that your spare is TIGHT. I found one time the spare was hanging down a couple of inches, got the crank tool (ours, a 2019 came with one) and tighten it up. A new part of my check list to look at the spare. Well guess I missed checking or the roads were really bad but the spare came off on the road at 60mph on 75 in ky. Don't know exactly where but not there when we set up at the next camp. No damage or even a mark on the underside of our CC36CK2. I can only hope no one hit it or got into an accident but I have now decided to make a rack to hold the tire up after cranking it up.
So check yours and get some kinda tool to do it with.
Tall frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #12

I had the tool and lowered the tire. Then I thought about doing the same, while at the side of a road. Nope! The tire goes into the back of my truck now. I did purchase a tire carrier for the bumper, but have never used it.
Ram 2500 (8 foot bed) / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire