Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 LRG 14 Ply rated
Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer

My Westlakes wore out early due to one axle being misaligned. I had no trouble with them.

One strike against them is their shorter track record. Time will tell.

I replaced the Westlakes with the Sailun tires referenced above. They have a longer track record. They are the same size as the Westlakes, so there should be no clearance issue.

If you search RV forums you will find a lot of discussion about the Sailun S637T. No complaints that I have seen. They are sometimes called S637 , without the "T". That could be useful for searching.

Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires sell them. Also https://simpletire.com/catalog/product/133648 . I found them at a local commercial truck tire dealer when I was coming back from Alaska, by doing a google search.

Edit: While I was typing, FordHauler posted about the same tire.
X2. Go with the Sailun's.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #22

I mistakenly had it in my head that Sailuns were LT tires, thus I didn't mention them. My bad.

But they are also Chinese tires.

So....Westlake and Sailun appear (to me) to be the only tires with Load Range G (required for this trailer) at this size, that are ST tires. Maybe WMTIRE knows of another, I don't.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #23

ST of LT

Hear is a link to a tire engineers comments on changing tires on your RV. I would put more credence with an experienced engineer in the tire industry than a lot of anecdotal references from untried sources from around the internet. Roger has a lot of excellent reading for all who are tire minded.

RV Tire Safety: Changing tires on a trailer - NEW load capacity requirement

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #24

My Cedar Creek came with the Goodyear G614 and when they wear out I’ll replace them with Goodyear’s. I had Westlake tires on my first Creek and they were good tires. I just like the Goodyear’s and I may move from 16 inch to 17.5, it will depend on my money
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I mistakenly had it in my head that Sailuns were LT tires, thus I didn't mention them. My bad.

But they are also Chinese tires.

So....Westlake and Sailun appear (to me) to be the only tires with Load Range G (required for this trailer) at this size, that are ST tires. Maybe WMTIRE knows of another, I don't.

Did you miss my post with a couple of other options?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Load Range E is way too light for your trailer.

Goodyear G614's are your best bet. But if you really want ST tires, get the Westlakes. They have held up fine for me for almost 2 years.
Why pay twice as much for 2nd best when Sailun are available?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I spent a couple of months researching replacement tires for my 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. I finally decided to get Maxxis 8008. Could not find them contacted Maxxis and they told me they don't make a tire for 235/85R16. I want ST tires and not truck tires. What ST tire have other Cedar Creek 235/85R16 size use?
May I ask why you don't want the LT tires. My 2015 36CKTS came with Goodyear LT235/85R16. Since your's is a year newer than mine did they come with something different?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
May I ask why you don't want the LT tires. My 2015 36CKTS came with Goodyear LT235/85R16. Since your's is a year newer than mine did they come with something different?
The LT235/85R16 LRG provides less load capacity than the ST235/85R16 LRG.

The GY LT235/85R15G is a trailer tire with a side molding saying RST - Regional Service Trailer. It is already antiquated. There are at least three 16" ST tires being manufactured with all steel construction and more load capacity; ST235/85R16F, 3960# of load capacity at 95 PSI; ST235/80R16G, 4050# of load capacity at 110 PSI; ST235/85R16G, 4400# of load capacity at 110 PSI.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

The GY LT235/85R15G is a trailer tire with a side molding saying RST - Regional Service Trailer. It is already antiquated. There are at least three 16" ST tires being manufactured with all steel construction and more load capacity; ST235/85R16F, 3960# of load capacity at 95 PSI; ST235/80R16G, 4050# of load capacity at 110 PSI; ST235/85R16G, 4400# of load capacity at 110 PSI.

Buy what you like, I'm sticking with my G614
Old 02-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #30

Quote:

Beware of any tire marked RST for use on a travel trailer or coach. These tires were designed for vehicles that drive at lower speeds and less distance per trip than what someone driving a coach or towing a trailer down the freeway will encounter.

Goodyear sold a bunch or G159 tires to coach manufacturers that the engineers only intended to be RST's. Tires in this service don't heat up to high temps like a tire that is exposed to high speed for hours and hours.

The "numbers" may all look good on paper but it's important to pay attention to what the tire is designed for.

As for "outdated" tires, often they are the ones that are most often on sale at deep discounts.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Buy what you like, I'm sticking with my G614
Sorry I gave you the impression I'm selling something. I just print facts. It's the buyers choice.

Tire industry standards say to use replacement tires equal to the OE tires in size and load capacity. Those OE tires are described on the trailer's certification label, tire placard and in it's owner's manual.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Tire industry standards say to use replacement tires equal to the OE tires in size and load capacity. Those OE tires are described on the trailer's certification label, tire placard and in it's owner's manual.
Most reputable and knowledgeable tire dealers WON'T install a tire that doesn't meet the requirements listed on the "Door Sticker".

Maybe luck will hold out and nothing happens but rest assured that "when the fecal matter hits the air distribution device", and an accident occurs with injury and/or fatality , Lawyers will come out of the woodwork. If investigation shows the accident was due to a tire failure they'll "follow" that tire back in time, hopefully being able to sue the tire manufacturer (with the really big pockets). If along the way a dealer failed to follow the Door Sticker (which is mandated by the Fed Gov) then it's HIS pockets that get cleaned out in court.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #33

My G614 came on Cedar Creek new. OE tires
Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #34

Quote:
My G614 came on Cedar Creek new. OE tires
And that's what confuses everyone. You got almost the last ones like that.

Those WERE ST tires!!! Then Goodyear re-rated them as LT and so CC had to go to some other brand to satisfy the ST requirement. They chose Westlakes. Appears to have been a good choice. They could have chosen Sailuns, it seems.

I have NO IDEA if the Goodyear G614's changed in any material way when they were re-rated to LT. I cannot speak to that.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Beware of any tire marked RST for use on a travel trailer or coach. These tires were designed for vehicles that drive at lower speeds and less distance per trip than what someone driving a coach or towing a trailer down the freeway will encounter.

Goodyear sold a bunch or G159 tires to coach manufacturers that the engineers only intended to be RST's. Tires in this service don't heat up to high temps like a tire that is exposed to high speed for hours and hours.

The "numbers" may all look good on paper but it's important to pay attention to what the tire is designed for.

As for "outdated" tires, often they are the ones that are most often on sale at deep discounts.

I have put maybe 30,000 miles or more on these G614 Goodyear’s and ran them at 75 mph and sometimes a little more. I normally start out at 63 but I get tired of campers passing me so I open the Silverado up. 75 mph means I’ll get there faster. I’ll probably get the 17.5 Goodyear’s when I wear these out. I’m not try to change anyone’s mind but I buy American when I can. I had rather pay more and see a American keep there job but that just me. Buy what you like
Old 02-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #36

Really what Cedar Creek did was install a cheaper tire on the camper. Cedar Creek didn’t drop the price as I have seen Cedar Creek’s sitting side by side with Westlake on one Creek and Goodyear’s on the other at the same price. Cedar Creek is no different than any other manufacturer, they would sell there soul to save a dollar.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #37

Cost was not their reason to change.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Most reputable and knowledgeable tire dealers WON'T install a tire that doesn't meet the requirements listed on the "Door Sticker".

Maybe luck will hold out and nothing happens but rest assured that "when the fecal matter hits the air distribution device", and an accident occurs with injury and/or fatality , Lawyers will come out of the woodwork. If investigation shows the accident was due to a tire failure they'll "follow" that tire back in time, hopefully being able to sue the tire manufacturer (with the really big pockets). If along the way a dealer failed to follow the Door Sticker (which is mandated by the Fed Gov) then it's HIS pockets that get cleaned out in court.
I am purchasing a new Silverback it comes with Westlake tires, the tire rating does not cover the dry weight of the unit let alone the GVWR of 16700. Which is why before the unit even gets hooked up to my TV I have upgraded the tires to GY G114s and new rims. You're probably right about most tire retailers but it would seem it doesn't matter to FR. Could be a case of the savings out weighs the cost of a possible court case. Which even if you have a solid case it would probably be tied up in court long enough that you would not gain from it. You may find a lawyer to take the case based on what he may win for you in court. Me, I'd rather choose my battles. I am aware the tires they use are cheap therefore I have upgraded hopefully saving me in the long run.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #39

I’m not even going to respond to that
Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
I’m not even going to respond to that
I didn't say they weren't cheaper. But they were cheaper for many years, BEFORE they changed. Cost was not WHY they changed.

And I'll bet my unit is heavier dry than any Silverback, and the tires (same ones I'd wager) do cover the weight. Remember that about 20-25% of the weight is not on THOSE tires, but on the truck tires via the kingpin.

FROG AR-0019-242

Tags
tire, tires