Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

Stepping up to 5'r

God willing we will trade out Rockwood 8332BSC bumper pull ( we loved it but wanted more storage space) in for the cedar Creek 38DBRK 5'r. Those who have one are you happy with it? It has a 3rd a/c with power management. Had to laugh. 3 months ago we got the 2020 Silverado 2500HD and you can get an observation camera that works with trucks system. I said I had to laugh was I bought the camera and sold the Furrion I had. Now I'll have one again. Will put camera to door entrance. Any input would be appreciated on the Cedar Creek.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

Best of luck you should get some feedback ... I see a lot of Cedar Creeks on here ... 5th wheels pull great
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

I cannot comment on the specific model you are purchasing but will say that from my experience, moving from a TT to a 5er was one of the best things we did. No more weight distribution hitches. Easier to hook and unhook. More room. Easier to back into spots. List goes on and on. And based upon your TV noted, you won't even know it's behind you.

Awesome upgrade! Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
God willing we will trade out Rockwood 8332BSC bumper pull ( we loved it but wanted more storage space) in for the cedar Creek 38DBRK 5'r. Those who have one are you happy with it? It has a 3rd a/c with power management. Had to laugh. 3 months ago we got the 2020 Silverado 2500HD and you can get an observation camera that works with trucks system. I said I had to laugh was I bought the camera and sold the Furrion I had. Now I'll have one again. Will put camera to door entrance. Any input would be appreciated on the Cedar Creek.
Just make sure your 2500HD has enough payload. Payload is pin weight, hitch in bed of truck, occupants in truck and other cargo in the truck. Fuel should also be considered.

We went from a series of towables over several years to a 5th wheel last year. So happy we did. The only issue that we find is sometime the campgrounds (state and national forest camp grounds) are limited to how many sites are available for our 33IK (37 ft).
Old 10-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

5r hitch

Hey, not sure if you have looked at fifth wheel hitches or have one but I ran in to a gentleman using a Anderson type hitch, he loved it, ways 40 pounds. Have looked at them and if I was doing the hitch purchase thing again I think I would go with the Anderson.. enjoy the new trailer.
DJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
New to FR. Old to TT

We have a2018 gmc 2500hd with a duramax and pull our CC 36ck2 without a problem. I did put air bags with remote control and use the Andersen hitch, love the combo and your 2020 has higher load capacity than ours, so you should be good to go. Just upgraded tires to the same as yours if you have the 20" wheel. As for the CC you will love it. We have had only some small issues and quickly taken care of.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Life-Long Camper/Boater

I switched to an Andersen 5th wheel hitch. Amazing! Absolutely the best!
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Last week I read on another forum that an RVer was lamenting that the 'invisible trailer' feature won't work with a 5er, as he learned the hard way. Not sure of the validity of what he was saying but I thought I'd offer that up.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Stepping up to 5'r

We like our Unit it is the Silverback Edition. We had a previous Forest River Wildcat and when we went looking for a new one looked at many manufacturers. We found that based on the price range the Cedar Creek was by far the better unit. Good luck on your unit, know you will enjoy it.

PS The only thing that hit me after I posted, I would consider upgrading the tires, Our China made tires lasted one season. Then one failed. Will never let that happen again.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #10

Springerdad mentioned the invisible trailer feature on the 2020 Silverado 2500. I cant understand why someone would have problems. For one the camera mounts on the back of what ever TT you have. 2 it is hard wired and plugs into the truck. It is pricey. $510.00. It's the only one that will work with the trucks system. What may be the issue is that you have to set up a profile and set a bunch of perimeters such as TT total length etc. In the manual for truck it tells you that if you fail to input data it will not work. A minus I guess is it is hard wired and cable has to be routed from camera in the back of TT to the front. The cable that comes with it and is 50 foot long and can't be spliced. From the looks of the plug it looks coaxial like. As far as the truck and the technology that comes with the 2020 2500/3500, I will say in my opinion GM did their due diligence when designing the truck. If someone buys a 2500/3500, they are going to be hauling or pulling something and they designed it with the tech. in mind. If I ever figure out how to post video I'll post some of the camera views. To those that don't have a GM product or older GM product, there is aftermarket products that will give you some of the cameras that come on a Chevy. Now that I'm starting to learn the system I wouldn't want to be without it. By the way if someone has an idea of how to run camera wires on the 5'r please reply. Been trying to figure out how to run it once I get to the front, without making an ugly look.