Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #1

Stuck Black tank Valve - 2017 CC Silverback 33IK

So the issue was that the cable that goes from the control panel down to the drain valve was corroded on the inside, due to the black water intake flush valve being located above all the tank drain valves (very poor design). So every time I disconnected, the water dripped down and got on the metal cable and worked its way into the cable. Even though I used PB Blaster on the cables after every use, the line still froze up.

FIX
I used some vise-grip pliers and a block of wood to pry the cable loose and free it up. I then used steel wool to clean off all the exposed corrosion/rust. I treated with more PB Blaster and closed it back up.

To keep them from getting wet again, I relocated the black tank flush intake valve down below the drain valves.

If anyone has a recommendation on how to treat these cables to mitigate any existing corrosion that is on the inside of the cables, I would appreciate the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar Creek valve issue.png
Views:	141
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	233152  
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #2

Hi,

I eluded this problem by permanently attaching a short piece of hose to this fitting. It's maybe 5 feet long, and the longer hose from the water supply attaches to it well outside the compartment.

I never have to unattach the hose at this location, and any dripping from the flush operation can happen when I let the hose drape down outside the compartment for a minute or two.

To facilitate storage, I attached a broom clamp on the side wall, and the free end of the short hose bends up and clips into that.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I eluded this problem by permanently attaching a short piece of hose to this fitting. It's maybe 5 feet long, and the longer hose from the water supply attaches to it well outside the compartment.

I never have to unattach the hose at this location, and any dripping from the flush operation can happen when I let the hose drape down outside the compartment for a minute or two.

To facilitate storage, I attached a broom clamp on the side wall, and the free end of the short hose bends up and clips into that.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
I did a similar thing upon a recommendation from Orvan. I have (2) 4 foot 5/8" hoses (different colors) that I leave attached to the fresh water and black tank flush connections using 90 degree elbows. I feed the hoses thru the access hole and attach them to my supply hoses below my unit that I connect to the spigot. Thus when I disconnect them, the water runs out onto the ground rather then inside the unit. I also have a shutoff valve between the black flush connection and the 4 foot hose so I can quickly shutoff water when using the black flush. I leave them on all the time and just curl them up inside the control compartment after they have drained, thus no water in the compartment. I also have quick disconnects on the hoses where I connect the supply hose.

This is the hose I got for the fresh water connection - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the hose I got for my black flush connection - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And this is the quick connect I ordered from Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-2...5411/309634277

I would supply a picture but my unit is at Orvan's for some work.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
I can see where that would work nicely as well. Thanks for your reply.
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, black, valve