Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Surburban water heater.....

Ok I am trying to trouble shoot my water heater...it has the gas switch inside and has what appears to be an indicator light beside the switch. Now when I turn on the gas switch the light never lights up...also when I have the electric on the gas does not work. I turn off the electric and then the gas lights but still no indicator light inside....I kinda gather this is not normal and probably out of my expertise to fix lol lol ...but just in case I figure I would post it here....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

Oh and yes it is DSI and it should work on both gas and electric at the same time....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Old 12-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The indicator light only illuminates while the gas is attempting to light, or fails to ignite. The light does not stay on after ignition.

My suspicion there is a loose wire to that light. Go in behind and make sure all connections are tight.

I have no idea why the gas portion of the water heater would not work while on electric. Those are supposed to be 2 separate systems.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

On mine the light only comes on when igniter is firing otherwise it stays off also with electricity on the gas rarely comes on unless you use a lot of hot water.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

I have no idea why the gas portion of the water heater would not work while on electric. Those are supposed to be 2 separate systems.
If the electric heating element already has the water heated to temp, then there will be no need for the propane/dsi to light, since the thermostat won't allow it as the water is already heated.

However, if you are taking a shower or using a lot of hot water quickly, then once the water temp inside the heater falls below the certain set point, then BOTH sides thermostats will allow their respectively controlled sides to come on.... the electric heating element....and if you also have the propane/dsi switch on, then the propane sides thermostat will allow it to fire up simultaneously too.

Usually though, if you have both sides on, and the water temp is just basically being maintained (not taking a shower, or using a lot of hot water), then the electric heating element is what will maintain the water temp inside the heater.

As stated the light (which is actually a fault light), only illuminates if the propane fails to ignite, or is at the very first of the ignition cycle, when you first turn the switch to on, and the DSI attempts to light the propane. (provided the water inside the heater needs to be heated when you turn the switch on).

This FAQ may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

It's very possible, it's all working correct, and you may not have any problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

I should have included more info....even when lighting the indicator light never lights as it should...that would lead me to believe it's either a bad led or connection in the panel...but the gas never lights even during showers like it should....now it I switch the electric off then it lights????
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

Did you check the 12V fuse? There should be one on your fuse panel as well as on the water heater itself. I have also had issues with the fusible link on the water heater, I think the new heaters have those. Wmtire has a point. Turn off the breaker for 120V. Run the hot water with the heater turned on for gas, see if the light comes on. The system might be working fine, you just get different signs with having gas and 120V running at the same time. Love the dual system!!!
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

OK I think the thermostat for the gas side must be set for a lot lower temp.....I have to run a lot of hot water out for it to kick on....after messing around behind the panel the light now works....it is also kicking on now but like I said got to run the temp down a lot....yes I like having both on to heat water faster and quicker.....not sure what it was other then maybe a loose connection behind the panel.....
Old 12-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

It could be the 12 VDC thermostat may need to be replaced. They are designed to turn on (close) at 100 degrees and shut off (open) at 130 degrees. Here's a good link to check out: http://hometips.me/Mar/Suburban_Wate...ice_Manual.pdf

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater