Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Surviving the Winter

I just took possession of a 2016 Cedar Creek, 36 CKTS. I am living in it full-time, and will be traveling around the country for the next 5 years. Problem is I live in Maryland and cannot get out of my driveway because of the snow storms. So far no real problems, however they are calling for temperatures down to -7 degrees. I have the Artic Package that says I am protected down to 0 degrees. My question is for those living in their RV full-time in the Northern US and Canada, what do you do?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

You and many others fall prey to the supposed "artic package" advertising, but moving on. Skirting, dual pane glass, 100 - 200# propane tanks, heated water supply hose, supplemental interior ceramic heaters, dehumidifier, taping up or caulking any known holes in the underbelly, insulation between windows and shades, 60 watt light bulb near convenience center, not leaving your dump valves open will get you started for research. You may need to adjust what you call a warm comfortable temperature as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I just took possession of a 2016 Cedar Creek, 36 CKTS. I am living in it full-time, and will be traveling around the country for the next 5 years. Problem is I live in Maryland and cannot get out of my driveway because of the snow storms. So far no real problems, however they are calling for temperatures down to -7 degrees. I have the Artic Package that says I am protected down to 0 degrees. My question is for those living in their RV full-time in the Northern US and Canada, what do you do?
Winterized I assume. When the roads clear get out of dodge. Head south in the winter, north in the summer.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Global Nomad

Winterizing would defeat the purpose of living in your RV full time. I suspect there has to be some full time RV'ers that live in Canada, or northern US. What do they do?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Best investment I have made was a skirt and the heated water hose so far this winter it has been down to 4F with no problems. I do not have the arctic package. This winter I am in Northern PA

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Winterizing would defeat the purpose of living in your RV full time. I suspect there has to be some full time RV'ers that live in Canada, or northern US. What do they do?
OK you ask, Go to Search at the top,put in "Northern Mn.in 385BH Full Time! This is Member Gypsy Family dated 10/19/2012! Read the complete thing,it will answer a LOT of your Q's! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

I do it. In New York right now. Very pissed off the job didn't start. I cannot justify having to make camper payments and renting a place. If you have someone that has experience in it. I can do it where you are. Was down there on snow removal.

Personally I would hire someone to move the snow or melt it with a weed burner to get on the road. It can get expensive to stay where it like that. PM if I can help. But there is a huge learning curve here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter