Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Tank heaters

Recently bought a ‘19 CC Hathaway 34IK and I thought the brochures say that there are tank heaters but I haven’t quite figured out for sure and how to turn them on. I wasn’t shown this during the PDI and forgot to ask and the one time I had it in for service I forgot to ask. Anybody know? I have the Jensen touch pad with iPhone app.
ktderobich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

Look at your panel is inside the camper is, where your black water and fresh and grey sensors are. The heater should be there. Mine are beside the hot water heater
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The heater should be there. Mine are beside the hot water heater
This does not make sense to me...I thought the tank heaters were 12 inch square pads attached to the tanks themselves. I believe the question is, how to activate the individual tanks heaters? No switch for these tank heaters is found on my '19.5 Hathaway control panel, display commander or convenience center. Going to re-read the owners documents in an attempt to locate that which I should have paid attention to during the PDI.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
This does not make sense to me...I thought the tank heaters were 12 inch square pads attached to the tanks themselves. I believe the question is, how to activate the individual tanks heaters? No switch for these tank heaters is found on my '19.5 Hathaway control panel, display commander or convenience center. Going to re-read the owners documents in an attempt to locate that which I should have paid attention to during the PDI.
I believe spock123 is saying his switch/control for his tank heaters is beside the switch/control for his water heater on the switch/control panel.

Bruce
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

That's how I took spock123's reply as well. But … not having a touch screen I can't help with tank heater activation/deactivation. I know many tech savy owners like the ability to use one's phone to run things on their RV … I prefer a manual switch on the wall for most things.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Are there tank heaters, like Spocks, or are they heatED tanks?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Yes it was my understanding that there are heating pads under the tanks. I don’t have switches, I have the touchscreen pad. It’s really a pain sometimes to use because you have to put in your passcode every time you want to turn on or off a light.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

THe reason I asked is because our 5er (not a CC) has heatED tanks. They are heated when the propane furnace runs by ducts that dump in the under belly... Not actual heaters on the tanks. I ask because they love to play on the words..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

On my Cedar Creek the heat pads are on the bottom of the tanks. The under belly is also heated by the furnace. The pads when turned on are supposed to activate when the temperature gets to 40 degrees.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

Spock123, that is correct, there are supposed to be heating pads under the tanks. I again looked at the video showing construction of the CC and it shows them attaching the heat pads. As you said they activate below 40 when turned on. I just haven’t figured out how to turn them on.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #11

Since Forest River doesn't see fit to provide wiring diagrams and more detailed instructions for specific models, chances are you will just have to go hunting. Start opening panels (including underbelly) and to find wires and pads.

IF you actually have heating pads, there is a switch somewhere. If it's in a "Touchscreen" Control Panel it will take some more searching in that unit itself.

Thing about high tech devices, they require more "training" than just a simple switch.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #12

I just looked at their latest brochure and here is what it says... 12 Volt tank heaters on all tanks. There is either a manual switch, or controlled by your touch pad. Mine is a 2017 and pre touch pad.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I believe spock123 is saying his switch/control for his tank heaters is beside the switch/control for his water heater on the switch/control panel.

Bruce
Got it now....please excuse the slow brain cells. Darn, i wish i had switches in a control panel like the old Sabre.

Found it! Tank heater switch activation mode is on the Display Commander inside the Hathaway. Found it on page two of the settings option. Got frustrated standing in the hallway in freezing temps so I connected via bluetooth to the cell phone and went back in the house to scroll thru every command until accidentally finding the tank heater switch. Technology sux until you figure it out!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank