Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Tear in Roof Membrane

After a particularly exciting storm at Point Hudson, WA, Marina, I did a quick exam of roof and discovered a small puncture like tear in roof. As we were leaving the next day, I covered it with duct tape (as recommended by mobile RV tech) and headed to our next destination. When I checked it again, the tape had the same pattern of damage! After a lot of “What the heck?” I realized the satellite in the stow position is rubbing on the roof! The tech will be out next week ( when we get to a more civilized locale), but is this a problem you have experienced?
How did you address it? Is it a satellite install issue? New problem… satellite has been up there for three+ years.
Thank you all.. I really enjoy the threads.. so interesting and informative!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D25366A5-E28F-48CD-BD29-2874991CF35E.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	264159   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB08C09B-EDD3-4968-9E66-5CE5BE58DBAA.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	264160  
KathyB1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

You might want to take a look at the stowed position for the dish there may be an adjustment that would keep it from hitting the roof if not I think I would give consideration (after the repair) to laminating a piece of rubber mate to that area. just something to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #3

Bummer, I guess more important is how does the roof feel in that area? Is it soft at all? You might have a couple issues besides the sat mount.

If the roof is soft you may need to cut away the area and dry it out and then use a plywood/particle board hardener. If it’s not soft or spongy I would cut out that small area and cover it with Eternal Bond tape. Problem solved for the roof and then find out why sat antenna has started digging in.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Sometimes adding a "Crutch/Cane/Walker" rubber "foot" can prevent damage like this. Add to back of Dish bracket.

Another option is a rubber door stop like this secured to the deck over the damaged area.

This one is made of Silicone and sold on Amazon for $9.

Comes with double side tape but if I were attaching one to my roof I'd also use some Lap Seal as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You might want to take a look at the stowed position for the dish there may be an adjustment that would keep it from hitting the roof if not I think I would give consideration (after the repair) to laminating a piece of rubber mate to that area. just something to consider.
Thank you.. that is what I was thinking, too.
KathyB1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #6

Use eternabond tape, fast & easy
Badboat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB1214 View Post
After a particularly exciting storm at Point Hudson, WA, Marina, I did a quick exam of roof and discovered a small puncture like tear in roof. As we were leaving the next day, I covered it with duct tape (as recommended by mobile RV tech) and headed to our next destination. When I checked it again, the tape had the same pattern of damage! After a lot of “What the heck?” I realized the satellite in the stow position is rubbing on the roof! The tech will be out next week ( when we get to a more civilized locale), but is this a problem you have experienced?
How did you address it? Is it a satellite install issue? New problem… satellite has been up there for three+ years.
Thank you all.. I really enjoy the threads.. so interesting and informative!

Does your satellite arm have a bracket and wheel on the end? It should! There is no adjustment to keep it from contacting the roof. When the dish stows itself, it will keep folding until it senses resistance (the roof) then shuts off. The "wheel" is supposed to land on a plate that should have been attached to the roof. Winegard calls it a landing pad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof