Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Question "Thermopane" Windows on a Silverback 35QB4

Hi all!

We had our new rig out in the mountains on the weekend for its inaugural trip of the season, and everything was great!

However, one of the options on our new 2012 35QB4 was "Thermopane" windows, for which we paid over $1,000.000 extra. I was having a closer look at the windows, and they certainly do not look like they are dual pane glass. I have read that some "Thermopane" windows are, in fact, single pane glass, with some additional coatings.

Who else has Thermopane windows on their Silverbacks or Cedar Creeks - are they dual pane, are they identified at all by a sticker or anything that says they are "Thermopane"...please help me determine whether we have "Thermopane" or whether I need to get a refund from my dealer for this option??? The windows are tinted and tempered glass, but they do not look any different than the windows that were on our old Puma TT.

Please enlighten me on "Thermopane" windows from CC...

Thank you in advance.

Mark
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #2

I have a 2007 31' silverback 5th wheel with the same windows you are talking about. Mine dont look like Thermopane ( dual pane ) windows either. But they are suposed to be. I do really like how they are tinted though.
Swinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

Has anyone actually seen FR say that the Thermopane windows are supposed to be dual-pane? Maybe it is just extra tinting and coatings?
Or maybe it is a sales gimmick!
talladega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

We have them on our silverback. I agree with you when they call them thermo pane.they seem more like dual pane.but we did not have them on our last creek and we can notice a difference in the thickness of the glass, the warmth in cold weather, and they seem to drown out outside noise. when you look at them the first thought is I paid 1000 for that.but in reality we are glad we got them.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

We ordered our '13 Sabre with them. I can actually see 2 pieces of glass seperated by a black piece to create an air space. Well worth the $1200 IMHO.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Question Coated and tinted...or actual dual panes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega1 View Post
Has anyone actually seen FR say that the Thermopane windows are supposed to be dual-pane? Maybe it is just extra tinting and coatings?
Or maybe it is a sales gimmick!
That's what I would like to get to the bottom of...I need a definitive answer on whether Forest River's version of "Thermopane" are actually dual panes that you can discern by looking at them, or just coated and tinted???

Anyone?
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

They are Dual Pane. Two Pieces of glass with 1/4" air space. This is what the RV industry uses. Not like standard house windows with 1/2" air space, which is a true Themopane window. If you look at one of the corners, you can see the two pane's of glass, the seal that in between them, and the rubber caulking on the inside and the ouside (none in the middle). Our's is very easily seen, we have 2009 36RD5S and ordered it with dual pane windows. The windows have the safety stamp marker, that say they are made by KTG.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

I picked up my 2012 Cedar Creek 36B4 two weeks ago and I had the same question. The quick answer is to hold a lighter in front of the window and flick the flame on. If you have thermopane windows you'll see two flames in the reflection, if you see one flame reflection you don't have thermopane windows.

Onto the benefits 1) better insulated - my previous trailer could not keep up with the Florida heat - Cedar creek is fine 2) The sound insulation is amazing. 3) No dew on the windows in the morning.
ttguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Thumbs up They ARE Dual Pane Windows!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the helpful responses - upon closer inspection, our windows are definitely dual-pane "Thermopane" windows - there is a large air space between two very thin panes of glass.

Upon having spent eight nights in our unit now, I have noticed that our unit is much more quiet, the unit holds the heat better at night & the furnace cuts in much less often, and stays cooler during the day.

I am also now convinced that "Thermopane" windows by Forest River are a good investment.

Thanks again everyone!

Tags
35qb4