Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Thule Awning

Has anyone had problems with the new Thule awning (2nd awning on living room slide out? Ours doesn’t want to retract, goes out fine but really struggles to retract.
gsv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
Green Horn

When I was looking to get this added. which i didn't went with old style.
Orvan said if my memory is correct, I think they may have a recall or something. He did tell me they are very slow.
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #3

We have one too and it is very slow but haven’t had any problems of it not fully retracting. Maybe you can see where it’s binding up.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

slow??? lol.. ure lucky our new!!!! our 3 week old unit 2021 38el. will not retract period.. take 3 people 2 outside on ladders with brooms pushing it in and my wife on the switch.. one of the 110+ and now mounting repair list....
run_nuttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by run_nuttin View Post
slow??? lol.. ure lucky our new!!!! our 3 week old unit 2021 38el. will not retract period.. take 3 people 2 outside on ladders with brooms pushing it in and my wife on the switch.. one of the 110+ and now mounting repair list....
I’m having the same issue, anyone have any trouble shooting ideas?
George and Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #6

Our dealer will look at it when they come to do some warranty work. I’ll let you know the results then.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #7

I'll re-type what I already did.

Mine extended but didn't retract or would take 15 minutes to baby it it.

There is an automatic mode. Click the extend button twice to auto extend, Click the retract button to auto retract. The wind mode is supposed to detect the bounding under the wind and auto retract. I suspect that mode doesn't work for anybody!!

I am on my 2nd motor. The 2nd motor said it was 15% more torque. Despite looking like a well made awing there is a definite flaw. The awning is spring loaded to extend. So when your extending it the spring is helping the motor. You would also notice it extends downward with gravity helping. When you retract you have to pull the awning uphill so to speak and also the motor is fighting the spring. They either have to have a lighter spring or a stronger motor.

I'm almost certain we will all have problems with this awning.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #8

Purchased a new CC 377BH in June and have the same issue with the Thule awning. Will extend but have to use a drill and ladders to retract it. Working to get it to a dealer to handle this and other punch list items.
Drward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #9

At some point in time we have to get a poll started with all of our VIN numbers and send them to Cedar Creek. I'm reasonably certain that this awing has a poor design and should be replaced with something else.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

The next time I’m up at the trailer I’m going to spray silicon lubricant on the moving parts to hopefully keep things moving smoothly.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #11

Been there done that but I don't think any amount of lubricant will help the problem I described previously.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #12

We are having the same issue the awning extends fine but I had to help it in the last time we used it.
Our dealer told us to deal with Thule, who asked for a purchase receipt?
Back to the dealer and they went to CC who has asked for a video of it not going in?
Why would I willing extend that thing knowing it will not retract?
I have emailed CC directly asking them why they want a video of a awning not doing anything?
Lakelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #13

Let me vent a little here. One of the worst of many problems with the RV manufacturers is that they provide a warranty but they push it back on all the component manufacturers.

Lippert will pick up the phone about the awning and they will send you a motor or at least they sent me one but where is Cedar Creek's ownership in the process? Absent is where and that shouldn't be what we expect at the price point of any RV if you compare them with the auto industry.

GM doesn't make fuel injectors. They get them suppliers but if that injector is bad under warranty you don't have to call up the injector company.

The motor is weak, the spring is too tight and maybe the wiring is of the wrong size but good luck pulling wires back through the unit .

I have totally had it with one of the women at Cedar Creek customer care. All she does is craft polite e-mails which essentially tell you to look elsewhere.

I am all in on telling folks who have an existing RV to not buy another one until things improve. It is just throwing money down a hole.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #14

I noticed the other night the LED lights on the Thule awning flicker when the lights are off. When on they work fine. But after turning the lights off they still occasionally flicker. When I closed the awning they don’t flicker. The next night and extended the awning again and it did the same thing.

Watch the whole video to see the flickering.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #15

Might be a dumb question as it makes sense for draining water, but are these awnings supposed to tilted like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3F4EED4-61DF-4FC6-8E0C-F147A50A404E.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	584.1 KB
ID:	261428  
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #16

Still waiting to get our warranty work done(it’s only been 2 months). I’ll keep you posted with their answer to the problem we are all having.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
Might be a dumb question as it makes sense for draining water, but are these awnings supposed to tilted like this?
Not like that from what I can tell. Is it mounted straight? IF it is there is an adjustment you can make and you should be able to see a large hex head near the end of the arm as it attaches to the RV. You can look up the manual and see it referenced.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
The factory mounted both my awnings at a slight angle, but not that much. I suppose it helps with drainage.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #19

Thule Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsv55 View Post
Still waiting to get our warranty work done(it’s only been 2 months). I’ll keep you posted with their answer to the problem we are all having.

Can you bring this light issue to their attention. If it’s not a short it’s going to create a parasitic drain on batteries.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:

There’s a pitch switch above the extent/retract switch. It allows you to tilt the angle to counter wind.

Tags
awning