Old 01-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Tire(ing) Question

Anyone ever run into this ...

We have a Cedar Creek 36CKTS with Westlake ST235/85R16/G tires which have been really good, we've put a lot of miles on them without any problems but I've kept a close eye on tire pressure, etc. Since its getting time for new tires I arranged to get new ones installed today but I just had to pick up my unit without the new tires.

This was a new store and it seems that the tire dealer's equipment could not dismount the old tires due to the stiffness of the 14 ply tires. Apparently the newer equipment does not have the strength to deal with heaver tires so now I'm back to ground zero looking for someplace that can not only sell but mount 14 ply tires.

I'm not writing this thread to bad mouth the dealer because they really tried hard including taking the tires to another store location to use different equipment.

Any thoughts or suggestions ... and a lesson learned is to ask about a stores ability to mount these 14 ply tires before purchase.

2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

We blew a Westlake like yours over Christmas.

Bought 4 Goodyear 614's at a commercial tire shop. Texarcanna Texas. No cars in the parking lot. All trucks. And, big, tires everywhere.

They had the proper tools and the fellows were properly trained.

Took less than 2 hours.

Getting 14 ply tires off the rims was not easy.

$1400 balanced and installed.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #3

Just had new tire 14 ply put on at discount tire and had no problem. Only could air up to 95psi went and air the rest with my compresser
artown330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #4

My experience was that the wheels are at fault, not the tires or the machines. When I bought my 2015 CC I changed out all the tires and added a second spare. No problem removing or installing the tires from the steel rims. Had to cut the sidewalls and use spoons to get the old tires off the factory wheels and had to force the new tires on with spoons. Bad geometry/ outside diameter of the factory wheels was the consensus opinion. I went to 3 shops before i got one who could do the work. The first 2 got one of the tires partially off and gave up. I bought my Goodyear G614's online.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #5

Truck tire shop would whip them off and on in a split second. Car tire shops can't really deal with what are commercial grade tires. Discount tire is capped at 90Psi, they couldn't even get my wheels off my 34IK to balance them.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:35 PM   #6

I bought 4 new "Provider" 14 ply "G" rated tires for my camper from etrailer and took the wheels off my camper, and the new tires, to my local tire store. When one man started to mount the first tire on the machine, the manager told him he was going to need help. It took two men and a good machine to get those heavy tires mounted. They were sweat soaked when they got finished! I run them at 105 psi cold.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #7

First I've heard of this.

I didn't have this problem, because I had MorRyde install new H rated 17.5" tires, and of course new wheels. Cost was high. Benefit of higher weight ratings is higher.

However, I know dozens of folks who have simply replaced the original Westlakes, with Sailuns, Westlakes, Goodyear 614's, and no one had any problem with the tire dealer changing them out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Brake is on left

One option is an off-road shop. They are used to dealing with oversized tires. Another option is to find a diesel shop. They are also used to big, heavy tires. I was fortunate to have a truck tire shop not far away when I bought my Provider 235/85's from Discount Tire. Those guys don't use a machine. Big tire irons will get the tire on the rim. That, and technique!
I found it funny that the local CW does not do tires themselves. They take them to the tire place I had mine done.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:13 AM   #9

This issue also crops with the F450. Local tire stores told me that they could not change/break the bead of the 14 ply tire that it would need to go to a store that handled commercial trucks.
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Anyone ever run into this ...

I'm not writing this thread to bad mouth the dealer because they really tried hard including taking the tires to another store location to use different equipment.

Any thoughts or suggestions ... and a lesson learned is to ask about a stores ability to mount these 14 ply tires before purchase.

Yes, I run into it more and more as these higher ply tires are becoming more common. Sometimes my equipment can mount/dismount them, and on some it cannot.

It can be the stiffness of the tire.... or the correlation of the thicker bead in relation to the drop center of the rim it is installed on.

The drop center in a rim is what one side of the bead fits into to allow it to stretch on/off the opposite side of the wheel. If a rim does not have a deep enough drop center to accommodate the thicker beads of the 14 ply tires, then it takes a lot more effort to get the bead on/off the opposite edge of the rim.

This link from tire rack will explain how drop centers work, with a lot more detail and pics.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=314

I am glad the you and others have pointed this out, as you are going to run across many shops that cannot service some of these tires. I got rid of my commercial mounting capabilities/tools several years ago, so it also leaves me incapable of servicing some of these. One of my good friends/associates runs these type 14 ply tires on their trailer and I could not service his the other day to repair a flat.

This thread may serve to alert others what they may encounter when on the road with these heavier ply tires.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artown330 View Post
Only could air up to 95psi went and air the rest with my compresser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Discount tire is capped at 90Psi,

90 psi is what most passenger tire changers and air tools operate at. This is also what we have our regulators set for. Unless you run an air line before the regulator, then the air line is also capped at 90 psi after the regulator. This 90 psi cap will be fairly common at many tire shops that do not deal with higher pressure tires.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:30 AM   #12

I've been through this twice.

The first auto tire shop struggled for a couple hours mounting the Sailun G rated tires using a machine. The machine kept getting stuck and gouged the wheels up.

The second shop was a big commercial truck tire shop. The shop foreman said they wouldn't use a machine. They use big tire irons, about 4 feet long. They finished quickly.

Next time I will use a commercial truck tire shop.

racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire