Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Tire size for 2019 36CK2

My RV is stored away for winter. Does anyone know tire size for this unit, 2019 CC Hathaway 36CK2?

All website shows is: 16” 8-lug, ST, “G” rated tires on 7,000 lb. Dexter® axles, LT “H” rated tires on 8,000 lb. Dexter® Axles

I want to replace the factory tires with GOODYEAR ENDURANCE.

Thanks much!
acvp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Those tires don't hold enough air. These are G rated 235/85/16 tires, probably Westlake, that hold 110 lbs of air and are about 3750 lbs rating each. Endurance can't match that. If you want Goodyear, it has to be G614's.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

14's? Change wheel size?
I want Goodyear's made in USA.
I know I need 110 psi tires, cost is not an issue. I do NOT want blowouts if I can help it. Thanks much.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #4

I just researched the GOODYEAR tire. The 14 means 14 plies, not wheel size, duh on me. LT235/85R16 LRG 14 Ply Goodyear G614 on 16" 6 Lug
This is an LT tire, not an ST tire. I guess it will be OK..right?

About $350.00 a piece.

Size LT235/85R16 Capacity 3,750 Lbs @ 110 Psi Ply Rating 14 Diameter 30.7" Width 9.5" Tread Depth 12/32 Speed Rating 75 Mph
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #5

My research shows that the 36CK2 comes with the 7000 lb axles & G rated 14 ply rubber. The 38CK2 has the option for the 8000 lb axles & H rated 16 ply. Both have 8 lug wheels with 235/85-16 shoes. If I had a 36CK and could afford to purchase, I would certainly put the H rated LT tires on my rig.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvp1 View Post
My RV is stored away for winter. Does anyone know tire size for this unit, 2019 CC Hathaway 36CK2?

All website shows is: 16” 8-lug, ST, “G” rated tires on 7,000 lb. Dexter® axles, LT “H” rated tires on 8,000 lb. Dexter® Axles

I want to replace the factory tires with GOODYEAR ENDURANCE.

Thanks much!

You already have the trailer? The official tire size for your trailer is on the certification label, not on any brochure.

I'm pretty sure you'll void a lot of vehicle manufacturer warranty protection if you replace your tires with anything smaller or with less load capacity than those shown on the certification label.

The new GY Endurance brand ST tires do come in size ST255/85R16 LRE with a maximum load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI. They are 10" wide and require a 6.5" rim width.

The GY G614 has a LT prefix but it really is a trailer tire and says so right on its sidewall. Under the new RVIA recommendations it does not provide enough load capacity to qualify for 7000# axles.

If your real serious about USA made tires your best option is to go to a 17.5 low platform trailer tire. If you go that route look closely to their speed ratings. Many are rated at 62 MPH. The GY G114 has a 75 MPH rating. It's profile is very similar to many of the 16" high load capacity ST tires.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

My Cedar Creek came from the factory with Goodyear G614 and 7,000lb axles. When the tires wear out or time out next year I’ll replace them with four more G614. I have had zero problems with the Goodyear tires, made in America tires. If I was going to buy a bigger Cedar Creek I would install H rated Goodyear’s on 8,000lb axles. The Goodyear LT tires cost more but there are great tires and they are made in America. If I trade to a bigger Cedar Creek the new camper will not leave the dealers lot without the Goodyear LT tires. We have took the camper to Alaska and lots of other places and no problems with the tires. My Goodyear’s are rated for 75 MPH and I drive that fast a lot. Buy what you like and can afford but I’ll never buy a tire that has China on the tire
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

It is my understanding that Cedar Creek switched to Westlake because the Goodyears they were putting on weren’t holding up.

I’m running mine with a tire monitor.

My full time RVer neighbor runs Michelin on his Mobile Suite.
Herdboar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvp1 View Post
14's? Change wheel size?
I want Goodyear's made in USA.
I know I need 110 psi tires, cost is not an issue. I do NOT want blowouts if I can help it. Thanks much.

My Cedar Creek came from the factory with Westlake tires on my 2016, 34RL trailer. They are Load range G 14 PLY, ST235/85R16, 129/125L tires. I have towed with these tires on my trailer for 20,000+ miles, with no failures. I will probably put another 5K on them before I replace them next summer. As these tires are approaching 4 years old now. I will probably replace them with the same brand of tire; Westlake. Why? From what I have researched on these tires and discussing these tires on other forums. They seem to have very low failure rate and have been accepted as a good ST tire.
Just my $0.02
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdboar3 View Post
It is my understanding that Cedar Creek switched to Westlake because the Goodyears they were putting on weren’t holding up.

I’m running mine with a tire monitor.

My full time RVer neighbor runs Michelin on his Mobile Suite.
Untrue. I had a very lengthy discussion with CC Management on this very subject, for hours, prior to buying. They changed for one simple reason........the G614's changed designations to LT. Some brands kept using them, CC decided to go with the best ST tire they could find, which in their opinion is the Westlakes. I know many CC owners that are on their second set of Westlakes.

I will be going up in size to 17.5" (requiring new wheels too, of course) when I change. But the Goodyears didn't have problems.....that wasn't the reason.

I also have 2.5 years of heavy use, maybe 30,000 miles, on the Westlakes OEM tires, and they're fine if you inflate correctly.

P.S.
I can't find a Michelin with G rating.........110 lbs......maybe there is one?

P.S.S.
I am also not sure (?) that the 235/85 is not too wide........that's why we have 235/80.......

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #11

I ran Westlakes on my first Cedar Creek and never had a problem, if I had kept that Creek I would have replaced the Westlakes with Goodyear G614. I try to buy American when I can. I don’t mind paying more for the tires because an American made those tires plus they are well made tires. Cedar Creek didn’t just go to the best made tire they could find, no they went with the cheapest tire they could find and do the job. Cedar Creek is no different than any other trailer manufacturer they would sell there soul to save a buck.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Spock123 - you spoke to CC management on why they changed their tire manufacturer - like Bill C did, right?

You're just making an assumption and generalization.

Do some research on Westlake G rated tires and you will find they are pretty good....the lower, D & E rated tires are not so good.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
Spock123 - you spoke to CC management on why they changed their tire manufacturer - like Bill C did, right?

You're just making an assumption and generalization.

Do some research on Westlake G rated tires and you will find they are pretty good....the lower, D & E rated tires are not so good.

Aren’t Westlakes made in China, reason enough for me. I was told it was because of weight by the Cedar Creek general manager of what the tires could carry. I saw Cedar Creek’s sitting side by side at a dealer, one had the Goodyear’s and one had the Westlakes both brand new and both at the same price. Which camper do you think Cedar Creek made the most money off.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Aren’t Westlakes made in China, reason enough for me. I was told it was because of weight by the Cedar Creek general manager of what the tires could carry. I saw Cedar Creek’s sitting side by side at a dealer, one had the Goodyear’s and one had the Westlakes both brand new and both at the same price. Which camper do you think Cedar Creek made the most money off.
Absolutely impossible to know............for either of us.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
My Cedar Creek came from the factory with Goodyear G614 and 7,000lb axles. When the tires wear out or time out next year I’ll replace them with four more G614. I have had zero problems with the Goodyear tires, made in America tires. If I was going to buy a bigger Cedar Creek I would install H rated Goodyear’s on 8,000lb axles. The Goodyear LT tires cost more but there are great tires and they are made in America. If I trade to a bigger Cedar Creek the new camper will not leave the dealers lot without the Goodyear LT tires. We have took the camper to Alaska and lots of other places and no problems with the tires. My Goodyear’s are rated for 75 MPH and I drive that fast a lot. Buy what you like and can afford but I’ll never buy a tire that has China on the tire
The GY G614 has a LT prefix but it really is a trailer tire and says so right on its sidewall. Under the new RVIA recommendations it does not provide enough load capacity to qualify for 7000# axles.

I said that in an earlier post above. I hope you didn't misunderstand the statement. Your tire selection is as legal now as it was when you got the trailer. But, with the non-binding recommendation from RVIA, they - at 3750# - do not meet the 10% load capacity reserves recommendation.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

I said that in an earlier post above. I hope you didn't misunderstand the statement. Your tire selection is as legal now as it was when you got the trailer. But, with the non-binding recommendation from RVIA, they - at 3750# - do not meet the 10% load capacity reserves recommendation.
More misleading...........

Yes, it does provide plenty of capacity for 7K axles! Remember, 20%-25% of the weight is on the pin. So, 14,000 plus maybe 2,500 for pin weight is usually above what most trailers with 7K axles weighs!

And I LIKE the G614's. I'll probably buy some one day, or maybe G114's. BUT, the point remains, no one has yet to report issues with the OEM Westlakes, and many of us have 20K to 30K miles on them.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Absolutely impossible to know............for either of us.

Yea right, I bet the factory made the most money off the camper with the Westlake tires. Cedar Creek knows to the penny what every camper cost them.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Yea right, I bet the factory made the most money off the camper with the Westlake tires. Cedar Creek knows to the penny what every camper cost them.
They surely do. We surely don't. Camper A might have had a lower cost microwave, or a refrigerator or mattress they got on 'special'. No way to know the profit margin of any trailer by looking at one component.

Goodyear tires cost US more than Westlake tires cost US. I have no idea if that's true for manufacturers with contracts.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
More misleading...........

Yes, it does provide plenty of capacity for 7K axles! Remember, 20%-25% of the weight is on the pin. So, 14,000 plus maybe 2,500 for pin weight is usually above what most trailers with 7K axles weighs!

And I LIKE the G614's. I'll probably buy some one day, or maybe G114's. BUT, the point remains, no one has yet to report issues with the OEM Westlakes, and many of us have 20K to 30K miles on them.

What was misleading? I didn't say they didn't qualify for the 7000# axles, because they do. I said they didn't qualify if the 10% reserve load capacity was enforced by the trailer builder or the vehicle owner.

Tires for RV trailers are fitted to the vehicle certified GAWR. That's a fact. The absolute minimum load capacity of for tires fitted to a 7000# vehicle certified axle is 3500# each. However, the regulation also states for the vehicle manufacturer to fit tires they deem appropriate fitments, thus making their OE tire selections the minimum standard for that certification action.

Another little factor you jumped into there, the pin weight when added to the total vehicle certified GAWRs MUST not be less than GVWR.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #20

Because that's a blanket statement that does not apply to every trailer with 7K axles.

FROG AR-0019-242

Tags
tire